Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fermented foods... what's the story?
Posted by: innerview ()
Date: August 11, 2006 05:11AM

Hi. Does anyone here have experience/advice on fermented food? I am beginning to question its value and wanted to hear from some of the more experienced raw fooders. Is it a valuable source of good bacteria that we need in our diets or is it unnecessary?

thanks for your help,

IV

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fermented foods... what's the story?
Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: August 11, 2006 05:26AM

Hey,
Ive been raw since 2001 (havent been on this board for awile).
What I would say, in short, about fermented foods is:

-can be good, can be bad, or both.
-raw fermented foods such kim chi (saurkraut), raw seed cheeses, kifir, and miso can be good sources of probiotic bacteia and vitamin b-12... however ferments are not good for anyone with candida, fungus yeast or mold issues, and can carry harmful bacteria and toxins
-ferments to avoid include vinegar (although it is debatable whether raw apple cider vinegar can be beneficial at times *see patricia braggs book) avoid soy sauce (unless raelly raw) and wine (unless in moderation!) obviously dairy should be avoided...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 11, 2006 05:28AM

I very much enjoy fermented foods myself. They can be expensive but worth it. Even better to make them yourself. smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2006 09:51AM

I love fermented foods and feel they are an important addition to the diet. I eat them almost every day.

I use these fermentation / pickling crocks to make sauerkraut, kim chi, pickles, and pickled vegetables:

[store.therawdiet.com]

My pickles and Kraut taste so good! I am going to have some right now...

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 11, 2006 03:44PM

I just had some saurkraut and kim chi for breakfast!

Love the stuff. But you'll find that the stuff you make tastes way better than the stuff you can buy.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 11, 2006 10:27PM

Hmmm....been raw for many years. Never had fermented food (on purpose!) LOL.

-David Mason

Posted by: summer ()
Date: August 12, 2006 11:27PM

sauerkraut for breakfast?

we make our own kraut,,,,its the flavour that is so great for me...but gives me a bit of gas at times...kim chee I make on occasion, my favourite...growing a lot of hot peppers in the garden this year to make my own...

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 13, 2006 12:46AM

My experience has been that there were useful in the initial stage of my transition to raw. After that, I lost desire for them as well as found that staying all-raw and eating simple is the easy way to healthy flora, woithout needing any external help.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 13, 2006 01:42AM

When I wake up in the morning after a night for hard partying, I crave saurkraut! Which these days seems to be more often than not. ;-)

Date: August 15, 2006 01:56AM

According to the definition of a raw fodist on this website, 75% or more raw, I have been one for about 21 years now. In my experience, fermented foods can cause problems when used to excess. Still, they can be are very veneficial in moderation, particularly since they are loaded with enzymes and beneficial probiotics. I think the important thing to keep in mind is that these foods tend to be acidic and therefore can become harmful in large quantities. Also, I much prefer home made fements such as rejeuvilac and seed ferments. Antoher benefit of these foods is that they provide variety and taste for transitioning to a raw diet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables