Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cacao (raw chocolate) messes with my brain
Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: August 11, 2006 07:35AM

So I went to a restaurant this afternoon and had a cacao smoothie. Some 10 hours later, I definitely don't feel like myself... I feel like my perceptions are distorted, but not in a good way.

What is up with that?

BTW, I was always extremely sensitive to "recreational drugs" in my previous (pre-raw) life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cacao (raw chocolate) messes with my brain
Date: August 11, 2006 08:22AM

Do you think cacao interferes with our etheric bodies?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 08:26AM by learningtofly.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 11, 2006 09:48AM

You may have eaten too much at one meal.

I eat it once or twice a week, and only a small serving. When the book 'Naked Chocolate' first came out, I started eating way too much chocolate!

You may be interested in reading this story by Arnold, a raw foodist in Pennsylvania who owns a market:

[www.arnoldsway.com]

He was making smoothies with raw chocolate for his customers for a few months. He has now stopped serving them.

Date: August 11, 2006 01:17PM

I ate one and a half Papa John's large pizza pies once.

I still liked myself afterwards (though not quite as much as before).

If you didn't start feeling funny until 10 hours later why do you draw coorelation?

Seems a bit of a stretch.

When I eat something I feel effects within an hour.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 11, 2006 01:54PM

I won't touch the stuff. Just because a few people suddenly start saying that raw cacao is good for you is not enough for me to start eating it or using it in any of my recipe's.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: August 11, 2006 02:19PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link. Arnold writes in a very entertaining way.

Narz,

I felt the effects of the cacao within an hour or two. At that time I felt quite buzzed, with a feeling of omnipotence that in the back of my mind I knew was due to the cacao. However, 10 hours later I didn't feel "good" anymore, only that my perceptions were way off. I also felt uneasy. I am extremely self-aware so this was easy for me to see, and is in stark contrast to how I ususally feel.

Date: August 11, 2006 02:30PM

Hey rawmark,

Do you feel the same way about cooked chocolate?

Cheers,

Jay

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 11, 2006 02:45PM

learningtofly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I went to a restaurant this afternoon and had a
> cacao smoothie. Some 10 hours later, I definitely
> don't feel like myself... I feel like my
> perceptions are distorted, but not in a good way.
>
> What is up with that?
>
> BTW, I was always extremely sensitive to
> "recreational drugs" in my previous (pre-raw)
> life.

Yeah I know what you mean!! I get that too - it gives you energy but in a weird way, I always feel somewhat out of sorts from eating cacao - and I am a chocolate FANATIC. Then afterward I get depressed, which to me means that cacao is a drug high rather than a healthy raw food high. And I've done my share of recreational substances so I def know the difference.

Currently I'm trying combining carob with cacao to lessen the amount of cacao I use, but to still get the chocolate pleasure. I eat chocolate like 3 times a day, I have to wean myself off it I think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 02:48PM by sunshine79.

Date: August 11, 2006 03:01PM

There's this funny scene in the Woody Harrelson documentary "go further" where the conventional eating young guy that goes along for their all-raw bus tour suddenly eats a chocolate bar after eating all-raw for a couple of weeks. The next day he describes the effect it had on him and he's like, "Dude, that chocolate made me crazy!!" That scene was priceless.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 03:03PM by learningtofly.

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: August 11, 2006 05:08PM

Yeah, I felt like I was having a heart attack after eating one of those Maya bars...not for me.

Although, the same effect happens with cocoa...I recently made raw brownies for the first time with cocoa and had 2 in one sitting because I had not tasted anything so decadent in a long time....well, I was up till 4 a.m. chugging water because I had heart palpatations....wierd.

Jen Rose

"You must first unlearn the lies, and then you will have room for the truth"

Date: August 11, 2006 06:51PM

i'd have only very seldom...something like 8-15 nibs, that's all, to help my head feeling funny/strange because of the dripping barometric pressure....with no bad side effects, or, hardly any niticable effect, just a bit of a lift in energy level, though i'm super sensitive too

LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: August 11, 2006 09:05PM

For me, I ate about 1 tablespoon everyday of the cacao nibs for about 2 weeks before they really started making me sick to my stomach (very nauseous).

I didn't eat the cacao again for about 3 months. But then one day recently I was trying to study for a test, and knowing the cacao contains caffein, I decided to try just one tablespoon to see if it would help me get through the chapter I was reading. I figured just that one time wouldn't hurt, since it took me a couple of weeks eating it every day to get sick from it before.

Well I did get through the chapter pretty quick and felt OK for those 2 hours or so. But then I started getting sicker and sicker as the day went on. When I went to bed, I was very nauseous; and like Jen Rose, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. That lasted until about 4 AM when I was finally able to sleep. I'll never eat that stuff again! Never, never, never! What was I thinking?!

That stuff should carry a warning label!

Best wishes, Ally

PS: Rawmark, you're smart!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 09:16PM by Ally.

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: August 12, 2006 12:26AM

Jen Rose Wrote:
> Yeah, I felt like I was having a heart attack
> after eating one of those Maya bars...not for me.
>
> Although, the same effect happens with cocoa...I
> recently made raw brownies for the first time with
> cocoa and had 2 in one sitting because I had not
> tasted anything so decadent in a long
> time....well, I was up till 4 a.m. chugging water
> because I had heart palpatations....wierd.

For sure, it's the caffein that causes palpitations.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: August 13, 2006 04:05PM

completely agree. I went on a bit of a cacao trip this weekend after receiving some bars in the mail, and it definately has a disagreeable effect on me. Similar to how I used to feel on amphets. but granted, I did eat far too much of the stuff (;

Posted by: Arvydas ()
Date: August 13, 2006 05:01PM

I got David Wolfe's book about raw chocolate and bought a whole bunch of it, thinking it's healthy. After eating raw cacao beans moderately for about a month, I decided that it's a drug. I couldn't put my finger on it exactly, but I just felt weird after eating them. I think they're pretty toxic, with all the chemicals (identified and unidentified) that they contain.

I actually found myself getting addicted to them, even though I didn't feel right after eating them. That's what cinched it for me... it's just a drug.

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: August 13, 2006 05:22PM

I also find that it disagrees with me. It is way too stimulating for me. I felt very agitated and tense after having some. Raw carob is chocolatey and yummy and doesn't over-stimulate the same way cacao does.

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 14, 2006 03:58AM

wow

it all sounds really cool
maybe i should get back on it again

just kidding smiling smiley

Date: August 14, 2006 02:06PM

I'm not sure chocolate contains caffeine so much as it contains theobromine, which is a cardiac stimulant. Dogs lack the enzyme necessary to metabolize theobromine, which is why they can die from eating chocolate - and if some animals can't metabolize this, then it would make sense that probably some humans may not be able to, either.

Date: August 14, 2006 04:02PM

veronique, I know a dealer if you need one.

sunshine79, that's a great point. However I have to say that cooked chocolate which I was eating occasionally a few years ago never made me feel the same as raw chocolate which I was eating around the same time. I believe there are toxic elements in raw (fermented) cacao that are destroyed in the cooking/processing of it.

Cheers,

LTF

Date: August 14, 2006 05:17PM

LTF, that is REALLY interesting! I bet you're right - because yes, cooked chocolate makes me feel good, and raw chocolate makes me feel good/bad.

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: August 14, 2006 11:41PM

Cacao is definitely a drug; it makes me feel horrible and keeps me up all night (like a 'bad trip' - which is all I ever had, because drugs don't work on me) whenever I even accidentally ingest a small amount at a potluck. I never liked chocolate that much, so I pass on it myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2006 11:42PM by dream earth.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 15, 2006 03:32AM

I don't believe cooked chocolate is much better. If I have any, I can't sleep. Before raw, I used to have quite often, but now I can't stand it anymore. Oh well, no great loss.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: August 15, 2006 01:21PM

after not eating any form of choclolate for a couple of years, i just made some chocolate macaroons using raw cacao powder, shredded coconut, coconut oil and vanilla. i love it! i just have a few cookies at a time, no more than once a day, and i haven't felt any adverse effects. no euphoric effects either. just a yummy desert for me! i'm sure if i went overboard and ate loads of it i'd feel differently, but a little bit at a time is just fine for me and satisfies my love for chocolate!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 16, 2006 06:29AM

is that right, learningtofly?

will let u know when the need arises

probably won't be in a great long while though

not really attached to those lil black chips

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: August 16, 2006 07:37AM

purenkind and everyone: I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!! (raw is preffered)

a LITTLE not alot. it IS like a drug, like coffee, sugar, herbs etc... being mostly raw for 5 years, i eat a little chocolate and it's psycedelic BLISS!! Alot and i cant sleep, too much and i have a chocolate hangover sad smiley

"everything in moderation, espacially moderation"

Date: August 16, 2006 07:45AM

innervegetable Wrote:
>
> "everything in moderation, espacially moderation"

Boo-yeah!

Date: August 16, 2006 12:24PM

That's right, veronique -- I know where to get the "kind" cacao. These chips will really float your boat.

Date: August 16, 2006 01:47PM

especially

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: August 16, 2006 08:45PM

I think eating a little bit occasionally is o.k. But in my opinion, if you feel sick, never eat it again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables