Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

for how long should i store nuts and almond
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 03, 2009 10:48PM

Hey everybody,

Thanks ahead to all that will answer, i deeply appreciate having such a welcoming community with whom i can talk and get advices from.

I recently bought quite some nuts and almonds (stocked up) and put them in nylon bags in the refridgerator, yesterday i read that they tend oxygenate after some time and lose thier nutritional value. Do you know how long are they good for ( almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, pecan, walnuts)?
Same question goes for dried fruit such as dates cranberries and prunes.

Also i wanted to consult with you about this - when i came to make a cacao almond-hazelnut paste from them it came out pretty thick and i kept adding oil thinking it would make it more creamy, i than read somewhere that what i really needed to do is just keep blending it to release the oil from the nuts, do you have something to say about it? How do you make your recipes creamier?

Thanks ahead

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: for how long should i store nuts and almond
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 04, 2009 03:14AM

In the refrigerator...fully dry and fresh....they can probably be edible for many months......or even a year after storage. As to degredation of nutritional value? I don't have any hard numbers....but most of the nutritional breakdown of nuts or dried foods will come through the initial drying....and not the storage - per se. I think you will be able to determine by taste and smell whether a given batch of nuts is ok. The oils will start to to rancid if bad...and you can taste/smell that.

-Some one else please chime in on the paste question! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: November 04, 2009 05:14AM

Don't nuts stay fresher longer if they are in their shells?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 04, 2009 05:55AM

That's my experience - for the most part.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 04, 2009 01:26PM

eric,

Agree that nuts should be stored in the fridge; I store mine in the freezer. When they taste stale, I toss them to the squirrels.

This thread from the Recipes forum might help answer your nut paste question:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 06, 2009 04:26PM

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

You truly helped me.

And thanks more on the referall to the other thread, was exactly what i encountered, helepd me a lot as well. By the way, they were speaking there about adding cacao butter, since i don't have it available here, do you how i make it on my own?

Thanks again

Eric

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 07, 2009 02:04PM

Eric,

It would be almost impossible for the typical home cook to make their own cacao butter. For starters, you need raw cacao pods; if you can't get cacao butter locally, you probably can't buy these locally, either. Very few people live where they can get raw cacao products. You generally have to special order them. Here are a couple of options:

[www.sunfood.com]

[www.naturalzing.com]

If you are outside of the States, do a search for raw foods suppliers on your continent, or who for ones that ship internationally. Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables