Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"Cooked muscles" replaced with "Raw muscles"?
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: November 11, 2009 11:26AM

I got a question today.

When your body is working out in the gym on raw food, your "cooked muscles" is replaced with "raw muscles". But isn't just a "raw food myth"?

The cooked proteins being broken down to amino acids and being used by the body to make human muscles. But are the "cooked amino acids" in a damaged state? AND being used by the body anyway?
With other words: The body uses half-good aminoacids to build human muscles, and just WAITS to replace them with better ones (like the amino acids from raw food)?

What happends really when you build muscles and start to eat raw food?
1. Fatcells is broken down and being removed from areas around muscles?
2. Water that have been deluting toxins are not long required?
(these two will make the muscles look smaller)
3. Tissues, liganments etc are being rejenerated.

Is there a "scientific" look on the replacement/breakdown of cooked muscles when changing to a raw food diet?

Love // HB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Cooked muscles" replaced with "Raw muscles"?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 11, 2009 01:28PM

Healthybun,

I am confused by the question, but it's my understanding that the body ekes out usable amino acids from wherever. Raw foodists just make it easier on their systems. I think maybe go to Doug Graham's site and check the forums to see if any athletes have posted on this topic with links to data. Good luck.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: November 11, 2009 03:34PM

The "Running Raw" website might also be helpful.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: November 11, 2009 06:42PM

Thanks, I'll try there.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 12, 2009 12:06AM

Healthybun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got a question today.
>
> When your body is working out in the gym on raw
> food, your "cooked muscles" is replaced with "raw
> muscles". But isn't just a "raw food myth"?
>
> The cooked proteins being broken down to amino
> acids and being used by the body to make human
> muscles. But are the "cooked amino acids" in a
> damaged state? AND being used by the body anyway?
>
> With other words: The body uses half-good
> aminoacids to build human muscles, and just WAITS
> to replace them with better ones (like the amino
> acids from raw food)?
>
> What happends really when you build muscles and
> start to eat raw food?
> 1. Fatcells is broken down and being removed from
> areas around muscles?
> 2. Water that have been deluting toxins are not
> long required?
> (these two will make the muscles look smaller)
> 3. Tissues, liganments etc are being rejenerated.
>
> Is there a "scientific" look on the
> replacement/breakdown of cooked muscles when
> changing to a raw food diet?
>
>
> Love // HB

Healthybun,
I agree it's a myth and what really happens much more is cell repair as opposed to cell replacement. We discussed cell repair a while back under the topic 'autophage' [www.rawfoodsupport.com] .

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 12, 2009 06:09AM

Hmmm....I have no scientific take on this....although my own experience/opinion is that there is a germ of truth to the idea that human tissues constructed from a 100% diet are somewhat different...and perhaps more resilient. Again, this is strictly a non-scientific impression.

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: November 13, 2009 09:22PM

Your body's cells are constantly reproducing and being replaced with new cells. Every 7 years, you have a completely new set of cells. I don't really get your question, but yes, when you convert to raw your body breaks down and must rebuild, just as it has always done. However, its a little more extreme during the transition period as the body adapts to the new internal environment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 09:23PM by eecho.

Date: November 14, 2009 12:02AM

eecho,

I've heard the seven year turnover of cells also and always thought it
reasonable. It's a generalization or average, in my opinion. New research has
been done using carbon dating on humans showing red blood cells are an average
of 120 days old, abdominal muscles averaging 15 years old and brain cells as
old as the individual. There are dozens of other cell types with various life
spans varying from several days on up. I've read that under starvation a body
will use muscle cells for fuel but there are health risks. Muscle cells
divide, it just seems a slow process. Rejuvenation of muscle cells on raw
foods is what I would expect.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: November 14, 2009 02:20PM

My experience.
The more raw my diet, the more flexible my muscles.
The more raw my diet the more flexible/ open my mind!
The more raw my diet, the more connected I feel to all things.
The more raw my diet the more present I become.
ffx

Date: November 15, 2009 02:14PM

My raw muscles kicked in a few weeks ago when bicycling to and from the market
at night in the rain in traffic and unexpectedly going into a pothole pitching me
over the handlebars face first towards the pavement. It was at low speed and
so I hoped to save it by doing an extreme front 'wheelie' but couldn't hold it
and lunged forward driving the backs of my hands into the pavement.. didn't
have time to get the palms down, followed by my chin, cheek and then chest. I
walked away with banged up hands, but no strains, sprains or even a scrape anywhere
else. Pre 'into raw' and 10 kilograms heavier and it might have been different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2009 02:20PM by loeve.

Date: November 15, 2009 05:15PM

Gosh, loeve, I hope you are totally OK. Try running errands on dry pavement, huh? : )

Date: November 15, 2009 05:30PM

Yes, Tamukha, I had a little road rash and bruises on the backs of my hands but they were not injured otherwise. Sorry that wasn't clear. Would have expected strained wrists at least but no, nothing like that. I like riding in the rain and wind and getting soaked to the skin and do it for sport.. hey, some skydive.

PS I called the highway department asking them to put the pothole on their list. They haven't patched it yet. Hmmm, maybe time to put my road worker hat on. Just happen to have some asphalt kicking around and a pickup truck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2009 05:44PM by loeve.

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: November 16, 2009 01:13AM

Right on with the source, loeve. I tried to find one before I posted but couldn't. That does make more sense, that different organs would replace cells at different speeds. I haven't read 80/10/10 yet, but I assume that Doug would talk about something along the lines of the original question.

Date: November 16, 2009 01:31PM

loeve,

Um, it's noble of you to try to repair that pothole yourself, for the good of Mankind, and all, but that could cause problems with the union and police and, well, bless you if you go ahead and do it anyhow. And 10 extra points to you if you have unused asphalt just "kicking around." 'Round here, every fella has a pickup truck, so that's not impressive. But asphalt--yes : )

Date: November 16, 2009 02:46PM

Yes, Tamukha, I've done a lot of volunteer road work, like clipping back overhanging thorny bushes along the bike path, usually at 6 AM before most people are out and about. I get hassled some but it takes one gracious smile from an elderly woman on an early stroll walking her dog to make it all worth while. This poor fellow, probably on the standard western diet and purhaps carrying an extra 10 kilograms, wasn't so lucky --

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

eecho, I agree Doug would be aligned with points 1, 2 and 3 of Healthybun's original post. It's cool that some cells divide so quickly so after being raw for just a little while you could say your skin, blood or intestinal lining was made of raw cells and the rest were following or at least being rejuvenated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 02:54PM by loeve.

Date: November 16, 2009 09:33PM

loeve,

What a dreadful event in that poor man's attempt to live a more responsible life. No good deed goes unpunished, so they say : (

Date: November 17, 2009 12:41PM

> What a dreadful event in that poor man's attempt
> to live a more responsible life. No good deed
> goes unpunished, so they say : (

He's a surveyor and may even have known the pothole was there but was unaware of the consequences of riding into one even with a mountain bike. He may have worked on new roads or lots surveying and setting grade stakes to ensure proper pitch and drainage to minimize standing water and frost heaves. I've had experience with this acting as a trustee of our homeowners association and volunteering to redesign our 1/2 km long private road, set the grade stakes by transit working with minimal pitch, rough grade it and build green surface infiltration basins for runoff. I worked with the paver to get the road as puddle free as possible feathering in one spot myself with asphalt between coarse and final coats. The association refused to allocate even minimal funds to make it perfect so we have a few 3 cm deep puddles which irk me but that's politics. I think this man volunteered his experience to warn others of the hazards of bicycling besides hopefully prompting the authorities to fix the roads.

Date: November 17, 2009 02:45PM

loeve,

Maybe this was his final, adamant stand against the intransigence of the road commission--"won't fix the pothole, fine, then, I'll have to force you to by maiming myself and setting my insurance company on you like Dobermans." Your description of the roadwork you have done was just dreamy; while reading it I fantasized that MDOT(Michigan Dept of Transportation)had repair crews as skilled and diligent as you. Alas, no : (

Date: November 19, 2009 12:54PM

Healthybun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The cooked proteins being broken down to amino
> acids and being used by the body to make human
> muscles. But are the "cooked amino acids" in a
> damaged state? AND being used by the body anyway?
>
> With other words: The body uses half-good
> aminoacids to build human muscles, and just WAITS
> to replace them with better ones (like the amino
> acids from raw food)?
>

Hi Healthybun,

I'm still looking for a science article but gather so far that while proteins may be made "half unassimilable" by cooking due to solidification (for example egg whites) or other changes, the amino acids are relatively simple molecules and remain undamaged for the most part. Cells are able to metabolise amino acids, creating some types of new ones and dealing with the fragments and skeletons of old ones so that only good amino acids go into making muscles, unless suffering from a genetic disorder.

"All tissues have some capability for synthesis of the non-essential amino acids, amino acid remodeling, and conversion of non-amino acid carbon skeletons into amino acids and other derivatives that contain nitrogen. However, the liver is the major site of nitrogen metabolism in the body. In times of dietary surplus, the potentially toxic nitrogen of amino acids is eliminated via transaminations, deamination, and urea formation; the carbon skeletons are generally conserved as carbohydrate, via gluconeogenesis, or as fatty acid via fatty acid synthesis pathways."

[themedicalbiochemistrypage.org]

So while cooked proteins may be half damaged, it does not follow that cooked amino acids are half damaged, just that they pass through the body undigested tied up with damaged proteins and so are considered unassimilable, the way I understand it so far.

There's another idea that too much protein can have adverse metabolic affects.

[books.google.se]

What did you find out from other websites?

Date: November 22, 2009 02:13PM

Along the lines of muscles that lose their excess weight, another example is from the Tour de France where riders like Lance Armstrong (not Raw) consider being "hawkish", that is light as a bird, to be an advantage when in such ultra endurance events. It has the added advantage of making crashes less damaging. I was watching when Jens Voight went down on a fast descent, breaking his cheekbone and getting a concussion. It was painful to watch. He considered himself lucky to not sustain more serious injuries.

[www.cyclingweekly.co.uk]

Lightness and flexibility...

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 24, 2009 03:56AM

loeve
That reminds me of my apple mono-diet experiment. I tripped walking down the stairs too fast, but one of my legs 'automatically' set itself correctly in the path in front of me. I was amazed because usually I just crash whenever this happens.

Date: November 24, 2009 11:26AM

Hi all!

Thank you for all your answers from everybody. Loeve, autophage seems to be what I was looking for. It's always good to help my friends to break their myths.

I have posted on eat.raw.com and trying to go to douglas page, but they got some problems with their website, it seems. Trying there later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables