Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green Smoothies not doing it for me anymore
Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: November 16, 2009 01:52PM

Green smoothies just aren't agreeing with me anymore. They taste great, but make my ears feel like they are filling with fluid and make me really tired. My tried and true recipe was this:

1 1 inch ring pineapple
1 peeled whole orange
1 cup fresh squeezed oj
half bunch of greens like dandelion
1 cup water

I tried cutting back my oj to a half cup, but it still gives me the fluid filled achy ears. It's like there's too much sugar in these things for me. Eliminating the Oj makes it taste bad. Any suggestions? My husband also started getting headahes from these after awhile.

I've heard smoothies are supposed to be great for blood sugar issues...has anyone had the opposite experience though?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Smoothies not doing it for me anymore
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: November 16, 2009 04:23PM

I wouldn't think it's the greens in the smoothie that you are reacting to, unless they cause that reaction in salads, etc. too. So, maybe it's just time for some variety in your green smoothie.

You could try replacing orange juice with a different citrus fruit juice like tangerine or grapefruit juice. However, it may be that your body has had enough of what it needs from citrus for a while. Maybe use coconut milk, almond milk, or a non-citrus juice as the smoothie base? Pineapple juice?

You could try substituting a different fruit or fruit combination for the pineapple in your green smoothie. There's Apple/Strawberry/Lime... Apricot/grapefruit... Banana/Strawberry... Blueberry/Grape... Berry/Cherry... Fig/Grape... Mango/tangerine/mint... Papaya/Mango...

Or maybe try juicing a vegetable combo with parsley/kale/spinach/celery/tomato/red bell pepper/carrot/broccoli?

Have fun experimenting!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 16, 2009 06:06PM

I use bananas as a base. Dandelions are very strong - maybe use milder greens and no citrus for a while to ring the changes

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 16, 2009 09:35PM

Maybe you have a build-up of something from the dandelion; as flipper says, they're strong. So I suggest you rotate your greens. Rotate, rotate, rotate! Hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: November 16, 2009 10:27PM

Sounds like an awful lot of citrus / acid. My green smoothies normally consist of things like: Grapes, Apples, Kale, Spinach, Lemon, Tomatoes, Bananas, etc. Usually some of those items, but not normally ALL of those ingredients. I try to vary the ingredients alot. Your standard recipe just sounds awful heavy on the citrus/acid ingredients, which could be too much for your body. And I also agree that the Dandelion greens are very strong. You might want to vary the ingredients and use a milder greens like Spinach, Romaine, Kale, etc.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 16, 2009 11:51PM

Try just one orange, one banana, and some cold water and or some coconut water.

I used juice and eat pineapple often, then it got too sweet for me after a couple years, so I don't eat pineapple much anymore.

A handful of berries, and or romain lettuce is good also in with the orange and banana.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 16, 2009 11:53PM

I agree with PD about the acid fruit. Sweet Fruit and Greens make the best Smoothies.
My proven recipe is 3 kinds of Seaweed, 2 kinds of Figs, 2 kinds of Apricots,
and 1 serving of Chlorella......WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 17, 2009 12:02AM

i would blend up a each ingredient by itself with plain water, drink it only on that day and see if any one of the 5 ingredients you are sensitive too , this is pretty much the only way you can find out the culprit

otherwise id be mixing up my recipe daily ,, i dont think ive ever really had the same smoothie twice ever in several years smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables