Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

clay and minerals
Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: November 18, 2009 05:30AM

Hello Dear All,

I `m thinking about trying clay, like bentonite and the like internally. As I searched about , it seems that it`s very beneficial for getting minerals and for nails, hair etc..
However, as I understand plants contain that kind of minerals, that are the most available for our body to absorb. I don`t know if the minerals in clay are as highly bio-available as they are in plants or not. Is it safe to use?
Does any of you have any experience or information about it?
Thanks for sharing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: clay and minerals
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 18, 2009 08:14AM

I have no idea - but it doesn't grow does it?

I wouldn't want to eat it.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 18, 2009 11:53AM

Check the "Other health related" section of the forum. There is a clay & charcoal thread there.

Date: November 18, 2009 06:12PM

Thanks for the replies.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 18, 2009 07:24PM

A Calcium based clay, like Terramin and Pascalite, is
an excellent source of trace-minerals for growing Wheatgrass. I use
Pascalite orally. It will make your gums come to life....nice shade
of pink too.....WY

Date: November 18, 2009 10:40PM

WY - so you use it as the growing soil? Do you mix it with anything else? I should try that in my garden!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 18, 2009 11:42PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WY - so you use it as the growing soil? Do you mix
> it with anything else? I should try that in my
> garden!
Clay would be excellent in your garden for adding minerals
to your produce. It goes by several names....Adzum Plus, and Azomite
are two that immediately come to mind. I may have misspelled them.
No, I don't grow my Wheatgrass in pure clay. I tried that and it
killed the grass. A small amount of clay (and lots of water) in
the potting mix does the trick.....WY
P.S. I wouldn't take clay internally unless one was in serious need of
a Detox. Chlorella has a proven record for detoxifying, plus it's a food.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 20, 2009 09:43PM

Lejla,
I watched a program about the Amazon last week. That was so much fun! High energy! In the show it mentioned parrots eating clay. They ate to to neutralize and bind natural toxins found in seeds and nuts that they ate. I think that various cleansing products on the market today are sold for similiar reasons. But usually for binding pesticides, toxic build up on the colon etc...

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: November 20, 2009 11:16PM

hi, does anyone know if there are any UK suppliers of clay? thanks x

Date: November 21, 2009 02:05AM

I bought some edible clay in the local organic store. I put some in a glass of water overnight and drank it at the morning. I gave some to mu husband too, so I don't die alonesmiling smiley
We're still kicking. I just have to try every crazy stuff.

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: November 22, 2009 02:18AM

Lejla
During my travels in Ghana I saw women buy red clay soils from herbalists, to eat whilst they were pregnant.
I also heard about clay being used in detox. I thought about using it too, however trying other more intuitive ways first. Who knows what the future will bring.
Enjoy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2009 02:24AM by OkunDeji.

Date: November 22, 2009 06:41AM

Lejla,
I have heard of some yellow clay from Korea which is reported by koreans to have specific health benefits. I don't know if that is generally available. i have seen a green clay from france. I don't know if its edible. I have seen it used in soaps.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: November 22, 2009 07:16AM

I strongly recommend no one eats clay. (Women in Ghana can be duped by 'herbalists' in just the same way women in London, California will be...)

Date: November 24, 2009 03:39AM

debbietook,
What can happen if someone eats clay? I think I might have eaten dirt as a child, but I haven't eaten clay on purpose since I was probably about 6mos old.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: November 24, 2009 05:35AM

Mislu, I hope I haven't worried you unnecessarily. Whilst I am convinced we shouldn't be putting clay into our bodies, the body is sufficiently resilient to bounce back from all sorts of crazy things we might do to it, eg I have ingested alcohol, nicotine, other substances, cooked food (!)...at various points in my life, none of which should have entered my body, ideally...

Date: November 24, 2009 12:07PM

debbie,

just curious - what are you basing your assumptions on, in regards to putting clay into our bodies? I am guessing you are referring to the fact that it isn't "food"...

Date: November 25, 2009 04:34AM

Debbietook,
You didn't worry me at all. I was looking to recieve more information. I mentioned my vague memory of eating soil as a child, and having my mother kind of panicing to remove it. I am sure that wasn't much harm, maybe every organism has to get a little earth at some point.

I was actually worrying that I may have promoted something not advisable. I have heard of clay being added to acorn mash. First it was leached, mashed, clay added, and then boiled or roasted. Maybe not the best way to consume food, but sometimes people had to do with less than optimal food. The clay was a small amount to absorb tannins and make it taste better. The other thing I heard was koreans eating yellow earth during times of famine. To cut the feeling of hunger, and provide some minimal amount of minerals. There is a webpage about yellow earth. but at this point maybe the best consumers of yellow earth is the produce grown in it!
[www.invil.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables