Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

chia seeds
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: November 20, 2009 10:22PM

I went into a organic health food store to get some chia seeds to make almond milk. the assistant that was there told me that they dont sell them and they are not allowed to sell them as they have not been approved my the EU. Why would chia seeds not be approved by the EU?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: chia seeds
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 20, 2009 10:36PM

no idea , but chia seeds are not needed to make almond milk smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 21, 2009 11:11AM

Hellokitty,

Chia seeds are considered a 'Novel Food' within the European Economic Community, defined as any food not in significant use by any member country as of 1997. So the introduction of chia seeds to the market has to go through an application process including a safety assessment. It just so happens that Benexia Corporation just recieved approval Nov. 18th to use chia seeds in bread and is going to try for more ways to market them. The seeds seem safe to everyone but there's not much scientific research to back it up, so it could take time.

[www.benexia.com]

Novel Foods defined -- [ec.europa.eu]

I've never tried them but hear chia seeds taste good, and will look for them again as an alternative to flax... Do you have a recipe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 11:20AM by loeve.

Date: November 21, 2009 01:01PM

ok thanks loeve,

yea i know they arent needed to make almond milk but i thought it sounded like a good idea smiling smiley

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: November 21, 2009 06:01PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE Chia Seeds!! They really pulled me through my viral stomach flu a few weeks ago with non-stop diarrhea for more than 7 days. I made quart jars of Chia Seed gel and drank on it all day to keep up my strength, retain hydration, and aid the healing process. It worked wonders at helping me to keep up my strength while at work when no other food would "stay inside" me. The research on these little miracle seeds is phenomenal. This very website has an excellent article on the little wonders: [www.living-foods.com] . I, personally, find them alot better and easier to use than flax seeds, and the benefits seems to be alot better. Completely tasteless, which is also a nice feature when you want to add them into various dishes, smoothies, soups, or salads. Eating them raw is also an excellent trick, followed by a good glass of water.

You can definitely order them online from the States (USA), but I'm not sure if you will have problems getting them through customs if the seller has to declare the contents on the customs form. I do alot of international shipping with my business and most customs are pretty particular about the contents being declared on the customs form or they will break open the package and investigate. Maybe email some of the retailers here in the States and ask if they ship internationally and how they handle customs.

Good luck and keep us posted. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: November 21, 2009 06:06PM

yea i will need to ask my brothers in Colorado to send some. they should be allowed over here.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: November 21, 2009 06:34PM

Chia seeds are a mucilaginous seed like flax seeds. If you can't get Chia seeds maybe you could try a different mucilaginous seed ? Also maybe they are allowed now because of Benexia Corporation's efforts ?

Date: November 21, 2009 08:47PM

if you can get ahold of some viable (sproutable) seeds id suggest growing them yourself smiling smiley not a hard plant to grow (remember the chia pet?) smiling smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: November 21, 2009 10:11PM

I tried sprouting them and they form a thick jel.
Got to grow them on clay tiles I guess.

Vin

Date: November 22, 2009 12:09PM

humm interesting. the chia pet was clay. i had one of thoes. the song goes

ccc chia

Date: November 23, 2009 02:17AM

hehe yep thats the one smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables