Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does anyone use fermented foods?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 22, 2009 10:52PM

I keep going back & forth on my thoughts on this one. I recently listened to a few good podcasts where the case was really well made for FF. There is an article on this site as well.
[www.living-foods.com]

I know there are positives & negatives. Does the good outweigh the bad? Very high nutritional content, supposedly more than raw food alone. Higher enzyme activity, promote good intestinal bacteria population...

What do you all think? Anyone here use them? Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone use fermented foods?
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 23, 2009 09:41AM

i love fermented foods. I love how they feel going down my tummy. though i have to say i feel the best when i am eating fresh fruits and veggies low fats. sometimes though i just crave kim chi. i don't know why. =)

Date: November 23, 2009 12:35PM

The guest was also making great claims for the use of Kombucha tea (homemade) saying that it is a great alternative for you Pepsi drinkers! (lol) I will keep doing research - I like to keep an open mind...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 23, 2009 05:26PM

i think , well for me anyways, they are those things that if you like them then have them once in awhile.. more as a treat smiling smiley i cant plant a pickle an get a pickle tree so to me its a processed food smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: November 23, 2009 09:39PM

Good point Jodi....

But isn't there something to be said for the higher nutritional content, supposedly more than raw foods? I am not a processed food guy be any means, but when evidence suggests that there might be benefits to doing things another way, I like to look into it deeply.

Maybe "Raw at all costs" isn't a valid argument all of the time. :O

Did I just say that?!?!?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 25, 2009 05:45AM

I do. smiling smiley

Kraut, kombucha, all very good. If I had the time, energy & know-how I'd make my own wine.

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: November 27, 2009 01:54AM

I have just started making my own krauts, without salt though. Using Viktoras recipe from Survival in the 21st Century.
I look in history and every culture, used ferments at sometime or other. We humans been doing it forever, maybe to compensate for cooked food damage. who knows. I think it is an acquired taste. and so far I am enjoying it enzymatic and probiotic effects.
Enjoy

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 27, 2009 04:05AM

OkunDeji
I have heard of that. I still don't know what to make if its necessary or beneficial. It might be. In the history of humanity,people have eaten some odd things to stay alive. Maybe its something we need on occation. As a child I absolutely hated vinegar, pickles, saurkraut etc... Or things contaning vinegear, like catsup or mayo. Im still not so wild about them.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 27, 2009 06:42AM

Juicerkatz,
Here is an opinion on fermemented foods. Its worthy of review.
[www.rawfoodexplained.com]

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 05:48AM

I drink alot of kombucha and eat fermented foods but you really have to listen to your own body to see what works best for you~

Posted by: andabanana ()
Date: December 17, 2009 05:24PM

Love kombucha! It feels very right for me. I think, in today's (toxic) world, the cleansing and repairing properties of ferments can be hugely beneficial. Maybe once one is totally cleansed, transformed, and living in a pure environ one might consider avoiding fermentarianism...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 18, 2009 01:05AM

I MAKE them! I haven't recently...but boy do I feel wonderful after consuming veggies rich in lactic acid! Cukes are hard to ferment, though. They get soggy when submerged in the salt water. I heard that if you put certain tannin-rich leaves (oak leaves I believe, but check it out first) it will keep the cukes crisp.

Easiest is sauerkraut with cabbage (or napa, if you wanna make kimchi, which is basically spicy kraut). I have also fermented cauliflower. If you've got sprouting jars, it's a cinch! Good book: "Wild Fermentation."

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: December 21, 2009 10:24PM

I do wild fermentation only using NO salt, vinegar, or sugar. So for me sauerkraut works and helps my digestive system with enzymes and wild probiotics, natural immune boosting.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: December 21, 2009 10:37PM

I second the recommendation of "Wild Fermentation". The author covers a lot of ground, explaining how to make a wide variety of fermented foods.

Date: December 23, 2009 12:55AM

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: December 23, 2009 03:12AM

I have a book called 'The Permaculture Book of Ferment & Human Nutrition' by Bill Mollison. It includes recipes from all over the world. Not raw or vegan though. From reading it seems anything edible, from every conceivable country has been fermented or cultured at some point.

Date: December 23, 2009 04:20AM

been using the perfect pickler and it works great, crunchy cukes and everything. i'd like to try doing it without salt, i have that book by viktorus so i'll look up the recipe.

the arguement for higher nutrition in ferments doesn't sway me, i think vits and minerals (etc) are in perfect balance in raw foods and manipulating them to get more of this or that can throw the balance off. but i am not a purist either, i aim for really healthy, not perfect. some things are tasty, make me feel good, and are fun to prepare so i eat them. that feeds me in other ways that foods just don't do.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: December 25, 2009 03:38AM

Fermented foods are highly recommended by Donna Gates who founded Body Ecology. While she is not raw, she states that fermented food assists in overcoming Candida.

Being from Korea, I love Kim Chee but I have to make my own if I want to eat it as the normal recipe has salted shrimp. I love pickles, too. Haven't gotten into Sauerkraut too much. Don't like German food all that well as it is heavily into meat and cooked.

coco, I was thinking about purchasing the Perfect Pickler. It's good to know that you enjoy yours.

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: December 26, 2009 02:45PM

Hi again,

All that sauerkraut is is "sour (or fermented) cabbage", just like Kim Chi. Kim Chi is usually spicy and contains salt. When I make Kim Chi is use whole sea salts. Sometimes I make my sauerkraut with carrots, beets, garlic, onion, radish, horseradish, turnip, etc. I just do not use salt or hot peppers or ginger.

Faeterri

Date: December 27, 2009 01:45PM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OkunDeji
> I have heard of that. I still don't know what to
> make if its necessary or beneficial. It might be.
> In the history of humanity,people have eaten some
> odd things to stay alive. Maybe its something we
> need on occation. As a child I absolutely hated
> vinegar, pickles, saurkraut etc... Or things
> contaning vinegear, like catsup or mayo. Im still
> not so wild about them.

I have read that article. I know not to be swayed by one source, but it does make sense to me.

Where is Bryan on this one? I would like to hear his input.

Date: January 11, 2010 09:58PM

There's a vegan kim-chi by rejuvenative foods that is pretty great. I've only tried the spicy one, it has a kick for sure.

[www.rejuvenative.com]

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: January 12, 2010 03:55AM

I was making sprouted quinoa kefir for a while...the body really liked it but it still didn't taste as good as yogurt. So now I will try coconut kefir.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables