Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

for you 80-10-10ers -- questions
Posted by: Mona ()
Date: November 23, 2009 12:25PM

I'm just beginning to experiment with 80-10-10 and my numbers seem to be more around 70-75--15-25--5-6 with fat being the middle figure (maybe the fat figure is supposed to be the last one? I've never been clear on that).

How do you get more protein? I'm eating mainly fruit or green smoothies during the day, but at night is when I eat my salad and use nuts for 1)more calories and 2) more protein.

Any suggestions to up my protein intake without adding more fat?
What are your experiences with 80-10-10?

Thanks.

Mona
padremickey,blogspot.com

The stillness of God speaks louder than a choir of voices.

There are many paths up the mountain;
the view from the top is the same.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: for you 80-10-10ers -- questions
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 23, 2009 02:14PM

Have you tried sprouts? I imagine you are getting plenty of usable proteins - as you describe it.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: November 23, 2009 04:32PM

You can get lots of protein from spinach. On fitday,com it's percentages are:

30% protein
14% fat
56% carb

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 23, 2009 10:42PM

Mona,

With 80-10-10, its not necessary to get more protein. The recommendation is 10% protein maximum, 10% fat maximum, and 80% carbohydrate minimum.

Dr. Graham recommends getting 5% of your calories from greens. On a 2000 calorie a day diet, this means 100 calories, or a whole head of romaine lettuce.

In general with raw foods, its hard to find a food source that has a significantly higher protein than fat ratio (spinach as stated by Trive though look like an exception).

What Dr. Graham says is that if you are eating enough raw foods to meet your energy needs (that is, you are getting enough calories), you will easily meet your protein and fat needs.

Date: November 24, 2009 12:23AM

Thanks so much for your replies. I'm trying to stay around 2000 calories a day. I happen to be eating spinach tonight, so I seem to be on track with that. I'll also try to up my greens intake.

I live in the tropics and I have found it really hard to grow spouts, but I love the suggestion. I can find sprouts at a couple of stores here.

I love all your suggestions and really appreciate the input.

Love,

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

Surrendering means you don't have to fight any more.

Posted by: deafdrummer ()
Date: November 24, 2009 12:50AM

Please go here to learn what protein REALLY is and where to find it.

[www.rawfoodexplained.com]

Stephanie

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: November 24, 2009 01:13AM

I live in the tropics too and have been able to grow some sprouts successfully. I find that rinsing more often than temperate recipes suggest helps and good drainage is essential. I am growing in trays out of direct sunlight in the beginning, then direct sun to green them. I then refridgerate them on paper where they continue to grow a little and stay fresh for a week (depending on type). Smaller ones seem to work best.
Enjoy.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 24, 2009 01:17AM

To answer your question, I should think more sprouted legumes, specifically lentils and mung beans are excellent for this purpose. According to Cherie Soria in her book Raw Revolution, a cup of lentil sprouts has 7 grams of protein and only 81 calories. The ratio of protein to fat is 7 to 1 in this delicious and very versatile raw food. Unlike other beans, lentils are relatively gentle. I have never had a digestive issue. Most greens are a healthy adjunct. Here's to your health.

Paul

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: November 24, 2009 01:38AM

If you aren't used to sprouts, I'd go easy on them if you add them in. They aren't as easy to digest as our great fruit and leafy greens. grinning smiley

Date: November 24, 2009 03:21AM

Thanks, again, everyone for the great input. I used to eat sprouts all the time when I lived in the States and still do whenever I visit. I agree it may be wise to go easy on them at first to get used to them again since it's been a while.

I just calculated the results of todays meals on Fitday.com and looked really good. 89-6-5. So 5% protein is fine? Are these typical results for you regular 80-10-10ers?

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 24, 2009 03:34AM

deafdrummer,
Thank you for the link about amino acids. A lot of new information for me.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: November 24, 2009 03:34AM

5% is fine!

Date: November 24, 2009 03:51AM

I'm so glad to hear that, Utopian Life. So, guess there's no need to be concerned.

Deafdrummer, thanks, too, for the amino acids link. That's such a great site. I've used it before but don't remember if I've read that.

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

It isn't the load that weighs us down------it's the way we carry it.

Posted by: deafdrummer ()
Date: November 24, 2009 04:51AM

Glad I could help. I hope you'll read that entire web site. It is several hundred pages long.

Stephanie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables