Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Brita water
Posted by: rawne ()
Date: November 24, 2009 04:19PM

Does anyone know how pure Brita water is? I've tried distilled water sold in plastic & RO water from a Whole Foods dispenser & neither is acceptable nor am I in a position to install a new water system in my home.
For those who know, what is the least toxic way to disinfect a water jug between uses?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brita water
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 25, 2009 12:37PM

rawne,

If you can afford it, a Berkey system counter top filter system might be the way to go for you. They are fairly affordable, and are really considered to be the best on the market for a gravity system.

It is simply a two part canister with filters in the top and a valve dispenser in the bottom one. Very economical, small footprint. We have used one for years, since we can't afford a whole house system.

Check out the "Big Berkey".

It features (2) filter elements that should be more than adequate for most households.

[www.newmillconcepts.com]

Edit - what is so appealing abut this system is the fact that it filters out the most contaminants of any system on the market, bar none. It is used by the Red Cross when they go in to disaster areas, the military, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 12:40PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 26, 2009 03:36AM

I'm using a Brita filter right now. It's good enough for where I am now. I pour the water from the Brita to glass jugs as soon as possible so it's not sitting in the plastic very long. I had my housemate do a single-blind taste test on me & I easily picked up the Brita water over the tap water. It goes down easily & tastes better than any store bought water that's been sitting in plastic for months or years.

Date: November 26, 2009 01:03PM

Juicerkatz, is it true that Berkey does not filter out inorganic minerals?

Date: November 26, 2009 02:00PM

The Brita would probably be fine for city tap water, since that is already filtered/treated to a point. I would like to use something to remove all the chlorine & other treatment chemicals from it.

rawne -

This link can sure explain the technical aspect better than I!
[www.berkeyfilters.com]

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: November 27, 2009 02:10AM

Rawne or anyone, what's wrong with RO water? I used some from a friend of mine whilst on a cleanse recently and it was the closest to distilled I could find. The only other was battery water in plastic bottles, not sure it's for human consumption.
You could use 3% hydrogen peroxide H2O2 for sterilizing.
Hope that helps.

Date: November 27, 2009 02:15AM

I've been getting my ro water from the ro dispenser at Whole Foods & it tastes pretty bad. Wheatgrass Yogi thinks it might be because they don't keep the filters clean enough.

Date: November 27, 2009 12:35PM

RO is a good choice, I would be satisfied with that.

rawne - If it tastes bad, it is bad. They should have it tested. Clean water will not have an off taste or odor to it. Does is smell/taste like plastic, or is it an other smell/taste?

We used to purchase RO water from a major grocery store chain here in PA. They had a tap where you would fill your own bottles. I always thought it had a funny taste to it.

We would run it through our Berkey filter & it was fine after filtering.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables