Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A Childhood memory
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 02, 2009 03:24AM

I can remember some interesting things around food as a child. I didn't like nearly all of the suggestions made on the natural hygeine site. I hated vinegar, salt, pickles, and even meat. I can remember basically being forced to eat some cheap piece of beef which was like shoe leather. I didn't like soy based products my mother thought would be 'good for me'. I also remember saying that all I wanted to eat where banannas. I found that curious that I would say such a thing, its certainly not something my family taught me. Exactly the opposite, they told me that I need to eat other things like bread, meat, milk etc... Anyone have similiar experiences?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Childhood memory
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 02, 2009 03:56AM

Sure. My parents often described resisting eating many of the foods they were indoctrinated into as infants/children.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: December 02, 2009 06:42AM

Hi Mislu

For the benefit of those new to raw/Natural Hygiene, I am assuming you did mean to say that, as a child, you didn't like the things Natural Hygiene says we should NOT be eating (eg meat, salt, vinegar, pickles etc)?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 02, 2009 12:35PM

I remember being forced to eat meat! I hated meat and would much rather of had a fruit salad and as a child, I was one of the only children I knew who actually liked vegetables. Interesting, I remember sitting at the dining room table for hours after everyone else left, because I refused to eat my 3' by 3' piece of shoe leather, yuck!

smiling smiley Deb

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: December 02, 2009 12:42PM

I read it to mean Mislu agrees with most of the suggestions on the rawfoodexplained website, which is a compilation of articles from the Raw Vegan Natural Hygiene school of thought put together by a 28 year old named Philipe. Natural Hygiene has split so that some Natural Hygienists now eat eggs or fish. I remember growing up liking just about anything put in front of me, very easy to feed, but also remember the colds and conjestion to the point where I could hardly breath.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 02, 2009 01:24PM

We ate all kinds of things, including offal, which my mother was advised would be beneficial to our growing brains! I was lucky to have had a family who all loved vegetables and fruits, and who gardened. I recall always being encouraged to eat produce as often as possible. I didn't even see a potato chip until I was six years old at someone's birthday party!

I think the three-fruitbowls-on-the-buffet tradition at our house stemmed from my mother's upbringing in Argentina after the war. She and her brother would cry out for fruit and salad, but beef was the cheapest food around, so that's mostly what they ate. I remember my mother constantly, constantly, eating apples and oranges when I was very little, and tossing the peels into the garden. It's as though she was unconsciously making up for her childhood deficit : )

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 02, 2009 03:33PM

geez tamukha

what's an offal? it sounds like a waffle in the shape of an O
weird how many kinds of foods there are

yeah, well... i was born not liking meat
and i had very strategic ways of getting rid of it too
houdini would have been proud of my strategies

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: December 02, 2009 06:44PM

Not quite the same thing. My mother told me when she was pregnant with me all she could eat and keep down was lettuce and cucumber. Seems even the feutus knows whats best.Those foods are now part of my daily staple.
I was also told I was not a fussy eater, I ate everything the white rice, flour, sugar, salt, milk world offered. Especially if it was fried.
winking smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 02, 2009 08:49PM

la-veronique,

Offal is organ meat. You or I would give it to the cats, I suspect : )

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: December 02, 2009 10:24PM

I remember when I was with my 2 year old daughter at a preschool for young children. When it was time for lunch, all the kids had to eat crackers and porrige. When I started to give my daughter her lunch, simple bananas, the other parents had a tough time to keep them away from my daughters banana. They started to yell and get angry with their parents. I was the only there that understood what really was happening. smiling smiley

Posted by: cy ()
Date: December 02, 2009 10:25PM

my fater died when i was one month,so after that my mother kind of stuffed me with food as love. i always ate to survive. i am learning to de-programm that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 02, 2009 10:36PM

My girlfriend was the opposite, she loved sauerkraut, pickles, bitter greens.

Me, I just liked chef boy r' dee, pizza & captin' crunch. I hated vegetables (cooked or raw). Now I like them.

Date: December 03, 2009 01:58AM

Debbie took,
I didn't type that right, but that is correct. I disliked a number of particular items that were mentioned as being bad or less than ideal by natural hygiene. Added salt,vinegar,spices, pickles, mayo (isolated oil & vinegar) That piece of shoe leather was also something I remember not wanting to eat.

Date: December 03, 2009 02:03AM

loeve,
I was particularly known for being a VERY fussy eater. If a salad had a single drop of vinegar or oil I didn't touch it at all. Its curious that someone commented about what foods their mother ate during pregancy. My mother was in florida when she was pregnant with me, and she commented that she had a very strong craving for fruit. Any connection between being fussy, and having a mother that ate a lot of fruit?

Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: December 03, 2009 04:11AM

I remember being not only a very picky eater (Meat, no thanks, bread no thanks...) but I eat alarmingly small amount as a child and because i was VERY thin, (but healthy and energetic) EVERYBODY was killing me about that, for looong years to come. All the relatives waned to fatten me up, but I stayed skin and bone no matter what.
Even in preschool (back in Europe) a women forcefully cram some cabbage dish down on my throat. I remember I did not want to eat it because I did not like the meat on the top of that cabbage stuff. Boy! Have I made her mad!
By the time my inborn good instincts faded (around age ten) and I was eating everything what I suppose to, all my health problems (allergy) started big time.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: December 03, 2009 12:37PM

"Any connection between being fussy, and having a mother that ate a lot of fruit?"

Maybe so Mislu, OkunDeji said something really interesting about how the foods her mother ate during pregnancy, lettuce and cucumbers, are part of her staple diet now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables