Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can we eat any type of beans in a raw food diet?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 31, 2009 03:00PM

I just started eating raw food, 100% three weeks ago. I feel great!!! I have lost 13 pounds so easily. I would like to know if you can eat any type of beans, like kidney beans, garbanzo beans, lentils, etc. and if you can how do you eat them. I would appreciate any type of input in regards to this subject. Thank you, kristy6200.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can we eat any type of beans in a raw food diet?
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: December 31, 2009 05:44PM

Definitely don't eat kidney beans raw. They're poisonous raw (in other words, we shouldn't be eating them at all.)

Garbanzos (what we in the UK know as chickpeas) and lentils are fine raw. Especially lentils.

Soak and sprout them. Here's a link to one of my old e-zines, where you'll see some easy-to-follow instructions.

[www.rawforlife.co.uk]

Love, Debbie

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 01, 2010 12:32AM

Raw, sprouted garbanzos and lentils can be eaten, but I think fresh fruits and vegetables are easier to digest.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 01, 2010 01:34AM

Thanks to all that have responded to my question. I am new to this forum and I had been able to just read two posts, I am not able to read the rest and I don't want to miss any advices from all of you. What should I do? Thanks again.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 01, 2010 01:46AM

I don't usually eat raw sprouted beans myself, but many raw foodists do. I think if you try them and like them, and if you feel OK when you eat them, then fine! They contain a lot of essential nutrients.

(But, like debbietook says, stay away from the raw kidney beans).

Maybe check the recipe section on this site for some ideas. I remember a raw chili somewhere with sprouted lentils that sounded very good. You can add sprouted beans to a salad, or make hummus, pate, or dip.

I like raw peanuts (in moderation), and they're a legume (bean). I don't usually soak them, but they're delicious soaked overnight. I like the wildcrafted jungle peanuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2010 01:50AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: January 01, 2010 05:14AM

Look at the site www.sproutpeople.com site. They list and describe LOTS of things that you can sprout.

Leafy Sprouts (Alfalfa, Clover & Blends)
Bean Sprouts (Mung, Lentils, Peas and more)
Brassica Sprouts (Broccoli, Cabbage, Radish and more)
Grains (Wheat, Barley, Rye and more)
Nuts/Seeds (Almond, Peanut, Pumpkin, Sunflower, etc.)

Lately I have been enjoying mung bean sprouts, wheat berry sprouts, and quinoa sprouts.

On the www.sproutpeople.com site they say that broccoli sprouts have 50 times the antioxidant "sulfurophane" as mature broccoli. Sprouts are full of protein, chlorophyll, vitamins, and minerals. It's great fun watching the little rascals sprout. I hope you enjoy sprouting as much as I do.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: January 04, 2010 02:21AM

You can always eat sweet peas they are very good to eat.
No sprouting involved .
Sting beans also.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 04, 2010 03:51AM

Trive,
Have you eaten mustard seed sprouts? Like the mustard used in dijon mustard sauce? The sprout people sell mustard seeds to sprout, but I always like to have second and third opinions on somethings. It sounds like it would be very hot! I have been reading up on the benefits of gold, and whole ground mustard seeds are one of the few confirmed sources of monoatomic gold, along with concord grapes, and gojiberries. I am sure its in a lot of other foods, but maybe they meant these foods are particularly a good source.

Have you tried the Kamut variety of wheat for sprouting? I tried those, and I find them absolutely wonderful, so much more enjoyable to eat than regular wheat berries. I am not sure why, but they appeal so much more to me. My partner enjoys eating them also, he just wanted to try them because he was so curious as to what the fuss was about. He usually stays away from things like this!

Date: January 05, 2010 02:08AM

Mislu,

No, I haven't had mustard sprouts, but I'd love to try them. I bet they give a spicy good taste to salads. I've never heard of monoatomic gold, but will look it up.

I can't remember the name of the variety of wheat that I've been sprouting, but I LOVE them. I actually like them best just as they are. I have tried making a raw bread using them, but it wasn't tasty. And I'll be on the look out for Kamut wheat. I enjoy trying new things. Thanks for the suggestion.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: January 05, 2010 02:14AM

Trive,
When you say you like wheat just as it is, you mean just soaked and sprouted? You don't mean just dry out of the bag? I like kamut, its larger than regular wheat, and just tastes better to me. I especially like drinking the soak water, it has a sweet nutty flavor.

Date: January 05, 2010 02:17AM

Yep, soaked and sprouted - not dry. I'll ask and find out the name of the kind I have. Hmmmm, drinking the soak water... isn't that rejuvelac? I haven't tried that either. You're giving me ideas.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: January 05, 2010 04:56AM

I read up on rejuvelac. I thought that was what I was drinking also. But according to one recipe that is fermented. What I am drinking hasn't sat long enough to ferment. The recipe also recommends tossing the grain in the compost, or feeding it to some animal which might like it, apparently the grain left over from rejuvelac isn't appealing to most people. Maybe there are different degrees of fermentation, and many variations, I don't know.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 05, 2010 03:30PM

Mislu,

I thought you are supposed to toss out the grain used to ferment the Rejuvelac presumably because the active enzymes and other nutrients in the grain have been deposited into the water in which the it's been sitting, resulting in a solution that's nutrient rich. The grain has, at that point, lost most of its usable nutrients and is waste. If you compost it or give it to the birdies for any starch it may contain, it isn't, of course.

I never drank the soaking water, because I assumed there were things in it from the surface of the grain that I didn't want to consume. But I watered my plants with it, and they seemed to like it, so . . .

Date: January 06, 2010 04:21AM

Mislu,
The wheat that I sprouted is called "Echo" wheat at the bulk store where I bought it. The person working there only said that it was made for human consumption, but didn't know anything about it really. When I Googled Echo wheat, there were over a million web options, so I didn't look into it.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: January 06, 2010 06:16PM

Tamukha
The soak water makes all the difference. When I use distilled water to soak, the water is like drinking a dream. If I use tap, its like sweetned tap water. Im not sure what would be on the surface of the grain that someone would want to avoid. Maybe dust? But if its clean grain, it shouldn't really be a problem. It seems like there should be some nutrients remaining in the spent grain, even if its reduced.
Trive
I never heard of 'echo' wheat. What other marketing name will be used! How clever. Well, 'kamut' is also a marketing name, but it is different from any wheat I have seen. Its possible that echo is specially bred for better human consumption. But domesticated grains are substantially different from wild types anyway. Mostly for human consumption, bread making, beer, but I suppose some might be bred for animal feed, or some other special purposes. I know that one of the mills I worked at ordered flour by the ton to make paste for glueing boards together. I don't suppose that variety is as useful for humans as any other!

Date: January 06, 2010 06:19PM

Trive,
Have you eaten Buckwheat greens? I am interested in that because its supposed to be extremely nutrient rich. Great amino acid score, chlorphyll, very high rutin. The problem is that some people get light sensitive from compounds in the leaves. Its from eating them too often or in large portions. I don't know how much it takes to cause a problem. if it tastes ok, I would like to make it a minor, occational addition to my eating habits.

Date: January 07, 2010 02:38AM

No, haven't tried them. If you do, let us know what you think. smiling smiley
...and thanks for the info. Like Pooh, I am a bear of little brain, but with enough exposure to information, eventually some of it gets absorbed.

My favorite raw vegan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables