Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Gluten allergy
Posted by: Zenstorm ()
Date: January 04, 2010 09:32PM

I have recently found out that I am allergic to gluten,yeast, eggs, and dairy among other things. I think a raw food diet would really help me, but i noticed that a lot of the recipes on this site call for wheat, barley, etc. Any suggestions? This is pretty new to me, but I've eaten at a couple of raw food cages & absolutely loved the food!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gluten allergy
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 04, 2010 09:41PM

I have found that the raw foods work perfectly in my body. Try eating simple fresh raw foods and see if work for you like they do for me. Good luck.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 04, 2010 09:42PM

part of the answer depends on how sensitive you are to gluten. If you are mildly sensitive, you might be able to eat reduced gluten grains such as kamut. If you truly need gluten free alternatives, you can substitute gluten free grain alternatives such as buckwheat, quinoa or amaranth. What you will find is that you need to add a second ingredient as a "binder" that will replace the gluten as it served that function. Making bread or crackers with pure quinoa or amaranth results in a brittle bread that crumbles easily. For replacement binders, you can add flaxseed meal,ground sunflower seeds, psyllium fiber, or xanthan gum. These will help to hold the individual grains together. Hope that helps.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 09:43PM by pborst.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 04, 2010 10:01PM

Zenstorm,

That array of allergies could mean that your immune system is really confused. The best way to eat under those circumstances, IMO, is as lo-fi as possible: whole fresh raw fruits, greens and maybe some sprouted seeds. Complicated recipes are fun and tasty, but they are also complicated nutritionally, and that may be the opposite of what the body needs to truly heal. Of course, you should try sprouting a variety of gluten free grains and see how you tolerate them. Good luck : )

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 05, 2010 01:38AM

Zenstorm,
I think there are plenty of rawfoodists that do not consume grains at all in any form. I think some raw food authors include grain recipes to make the concept of raw foods easier for a lot of people by mirroring cooked foods to some degree. Complex recipes might be for someone who is really committed to raw foods, but might have a particular craving. I found the high end gourmet recipes and crackers etc too much to bother with.

I found it easier to just stick with fresh fruit as a staple, and add veggies, and some soaked seeds and nuts. Over time I tended to also to eat single item meals. For some this just would never do, but it works for me!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 05, 2010 02:00AM

raw food cages?
Not up on modern slang.

but raw foods will definately not be allergens

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 05, 2010 02:06AM

Instead of trying to make raw foods be like cooked foods with recipes that taste like cooked food dishes try breaking out of the box and enjoy the tastes of fresh raw foods "as is". Give it a try and you might be surprised how good fresh raw foods taste.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 05, 2010 02:53PM

eaglefly,

I think they mean to type "raw food cafés." But "raw food cages" paints a funner image : )

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: January 05, 2010 09:20PM

zenstorm: i am also allergic to gluten. I stay away from grains alltogether. you don't really need them. i just do fruits , veggies, occasional nuts and seeds. i eat plenty of greens, too. =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables