Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

80 10 10 PCOS and Candida
Posted by: alisonott ()
Date: January 10, 2010 10:47AM

Does anyone have personal experience with 80 10 10 with candida and/or PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian symdrome).

I have PCOS and the insulin resistance problems that come with it. I also had candida diagnosed in autumn last year (main symptom IBS) and have been altering my diet for 6 months to address it.

I am interested in 80 10 10. At the moment I'm not eating much fat as I'm having problems with constipation and I find consuming fat slows my system down even more. I'm finding, however, that I'm struggling to eat enough calories to sustain myself and have lost over 3 stone over the last 6 months.

I'm on a slow journey finding out whatmy body wants and needs! Anyone's experience with these sort of problems would be appreciated.

Alison

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80 10 10 PCOS and Candida
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 10, 2010 04:05PM

Alison,

I am going to be experimenting with this more and more myself. Do you have the 80/10/10 book? I believe there are a few case studies in there of women who had this disorder and who successfully reversed it with high fruit, as long as they kept their fat super low. Here's an interesting video from Arnold's Way on YouTube:
[www.youtube.com]

If you do a search at his channel, you will find other useful testimonials on this subject. Good luck : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2010 04:07PM by Tamukha.

Date: January 12, 2010 11:17AM

Tamukha,

The book is winging its way to me as we speak.

The reason I ask is it seems for every success story I read about 80 10 10 there are many stories from people it hasn't worked for, people that end up feeling much worse and give up with it.

I thought, with my history of blood sugar issues - PCOS which is believed to be a pancreatic problem with the body not reading insulin properly, and candida which obviously thrives in a sugared environment, that perhaps I was not a good candidate for 80 10 10 and asking from trouble. Would really like to hear your or anyone elses experience who has similar problems to mine.

Alison

Posted by: Zenstorm ()
Date: January 12, 2010 03:16PM

I have numerous food allergies as well as Candida-- most likely caused by my yeast allergy. My naturopath recommended a more low glycemic raw diet and referred me to books by Gabriel Cousins. I eat a lot of greens & sprouts and sprouted seeds & chickpeas. I add some fruit to my green smoothies, etc but keep all of my seeds & nuts sprouted. I have read that sprouting changes the fats. I feel great & my tummy troubles are pretty much gone.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 12, 2010 10:21PM

A low fat all raw diet is a very healing diet. For some people it takes some time to adjust to such a diet, but in the long run, based on my observation of other raw folk, low fat is much more sustainable than high fat. If you look at all the people who are leaving the raw vegan diet and going to cooked foods or animal products, these are all people who have been eschewing high fruit in favor of eating fat in their diet.

Date: January 13, 2010 10:41AM

Thanks, this all helps. x

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: January 14, 2010 11:19PM

Hi Alisonott,

I have a recent PCOS diagnosis, too. I'm not sure the diagnosis is correct though as some of my hormones aren't in line with what is usually seen in PCOS. I've only just started this diet, so I can't tell you about my experiences yet.

Losing 40 lb. is a huge deal with PCOS as it considerably alters your metabolism. It sounds like a move in the right direction. Is this too much for you?

Are you experiencing other changes like return of menses, clearer skin, reduction of facial hair, more energy?

If the changes are happening to quickly for you and keeping weight on is a struggle maybe adding a little cooked food back in the diet for a time would help slow the progress.

Date: January 15, 2010 09:35AM

Hi Veghunter,

Good to hear from someone dealing with similar things.

I'm a little underweight now - I haven't been able to manage to eat enough calories to maintain my weight (I have IBS-like symptoms including a recent very bad bout of constipation) so it's just been dropping off.

My energy levels have been very bad since dropping weight. I think this mainly because I'm just not getting the calories, but some of it could be detox related too (a year ago I was eating meat, processed sugar etc.)

My skin has been amazing since I cut out all non fruit sugars last summer. I've not had a blemish and people comment on it all the time (good news!). My facial hair is about the same. Interestingly I haven't had a period for about 250 days. Absence of periods has been the main problem with my PCOS.

Adding cooked food back a little is where I am right now, but I'm still having digestive issues getting enough energy from that...it's a slow process. Raw is where I'm aiming and on the way there I'm very keen to keep my fat low - I think it's definitely the way to go.

Am half way through Doug Graham's book and his writing makes a lot of sense to me.

Alison

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables