Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fasting and running, do they mix?
Posted by: morgenjune ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:33AM

I posted this at another site and got no responce... Any advice?

I am going to start a fast today and usually do the master cleanse but am wanting to try a simple water fast. The master cleanse calls for pure maple syrup and I prefer not to ingest so much as you go through lots and lots of the stuff. So the next best is plain good ol water, my question is can you be active on a water fast?? Most say to relax but Im working on running a 10K and have been running 4-5 miles a day to get ready for it and want to continue. Can you do that on a water fast? Is it safe? I was thinking about replacing the maple syrup with blended dates but dont know if that would be the same... Any one have any advice on fasting and running?

Okay, so I tried blending the dates. Didnt really work so well... I had bits and pieces that ended up sinking to the bottom of the glass.

nomnomnomnom...!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fasting and running, do they mix?
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:46AM

I don't know much about the topic, but my first reaction is that it doesn't sound like a good idea. How long of a water fast? My experience with fasting is that I naturally want to rest while doing it, with sitting or laying down being the major thing to do. The last fast I did was just so peaceful,restful and refreshing. I can't imagine running while doing it. That's just me!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 12, 2010 03:12AM

You can try running on a water fast, but don't be surprised if you don't have the energy for it. But if you do, then try it and see.

For myself, when I water fast, I get really tired and my body just wants to sleep until its done its internal cleansing.

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: January 12, 2010 03:37AM

What do you plan to achieve with a water fast? I feel the purpose of a water fast is to allow your body to focus its energy on doing one thing: healing.

By eliminating all extra-tasks for the body to try to control (most cases are freedom from digestion) your body does not have to multi-task, thus increasing the healing process.

In the case of exercising extraneously, the typical freedoms relieved from water fasting, such as digestion, do not confound the healing process. Rather, the body's ability to aid weakened muscles is new factor introduced compromising the body's ability to focus its energy on healing.

I think if your goal is to heal the body, rest is the best.
I think if your goal is weight loss and increasing lean muscle, both water fasting and running may be more realistic for short periods.

Just my opinion! Good luck on your endeavor. I hope you find your answer.

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: January 12, 2010 03:47AM

Short runs of a couple of miles should actually give you energy while you are fasting and make detoxing more efficient. If it is possible you could use the sun for energy and this will help you detox 20 times faster. The human body is built for fasting and running, we just have to work our way into reconditioning it without going to extremes.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 12, 2010 07:10AM

For me it doesn't work to water fast and run on the same day.

I'm thinking about running a half marathon this coming March. I like to water fast occasionally; but if I do that, I won't plan on running the same day.

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: January 12, 2010 12:14PM

new hoove i think you are right you are supose to rest. im not an expert in this but my body would need the glucose. i would just be buring no calories as well. and for me thats a good way to look really bad. i want to at least keep my 103 lb. body

Posted by: morgenjune ()
Date: January 12, 2010 11:47PM

Well, today was day three of my fast but I am breaking it as I type with a bowl of fruit. I went on my run today, two miles in the morning and three after work and it was soooo hard, my legs felt dead. I felt fine not really hungry of faint but I for now I will save my fast for a more restful time!

nomnomnomnom...!

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: January 13, 2010 07:52AM

soundz like you're in a hurry to take it easy!

david

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2010 06:57AM

Absolutely not. Especially on a water fast. You are not supposed to do any physical activity on a water fast, or while fasting in general. Running without eating is an anorexic behavior, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish by running while fasting except fatiguing yourself, running your body down, decreasing your immune system, risking injury - especially from blackout and collapse, burning off muscle, and risking dehydration.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 28, 2010 06:19PM

I've gone in both directions. Some days I would...and others not. My overall experience is one of compromise. I think a nice walk....CAN be no problem. Fasting often releases much nervous energy....especially if some one is working 'against' thinking about food. I think a nice walk in nature is certainly fine for those in that do have that energy to do so.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables