Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Thyroid disease
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 12, 2010 06:17PM

Hi,

I have Grave's disease and have had it for a few years but it is now causing me to breakout in hives everyday. The doctor did a blood test on me and said the hives are being caused from my over active Thyroid. Help! It is awful.

Does anyone know what foods would get rid of both of these ailments? No I'm not raw but am trying to get to that point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thyroid disease
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 12, 2010 08:37PM

Because of the hives, it sounds like your Grave's Disease is an autoimmune malfunction. Have you recently had a serious infection of other illness? This has to be treated primarily, as it's the root cause. Also, how are your iodine levels? Iodine is a functional element for the thyroid--without it, the gland does not regulate itself. Further, an iodine deficiency cripples the immune system. If your Grave's Disease is the result of an immune system insult, you ought to have your iodine levels checked. Do you consume toxic halides, like fluoride, bromide, and chlorine, which compete with iodine for receptors and directly poison the thyroid gland? Are you on any drugs that can incite a hyperactive thyroid response? IMO, anything that might be hampering the proper function of the thyroid gland and immune cells must be eliminated first.

Cruciferus vegetables, like cabbages, cauliflower, and sulferous leafy greens can diminish thyroid hormone production, so you might try juicing or blending these a few times a week. I hope you find some answers on these forums. Good luck.

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: January 12, 2010 09:13PM

I think a great way to introduce iodine (also, chlorophyll, minerals, vitamins) and overcome Grave's disease is sprinkling dehydrated seaweed on your salad.

Dehydrated seaweed has many health benefits and will balance the body with the essential missing nutrients causing Grave's disease.

Dr. Brownstein has some excellent reading material about thyroid disorders (I have no affiliation) and his website can be found here:

[www.drbrownstein.com]

Date: January 13, 2010 01:30AM

I started getting the hives right after I finished an antibiotic for a sinus, ear, and respiratory infection. I now have to take a daily antihistamine or my throat and hands start to swell along with my thyroid meds. I do have fluoride in my toothpaste but I can't think of anything else. I eat very little raw and have eaten lots of bad foods in the past. Could that be it? I am trying to become completely raw. Thanks for all the tips, I really do appreciate them : )

Posted by: Novelista ()
Date: January 13, 2010 02:52AM

I don't know specifically about Grave's disease, although I do have the antibodies for it from time to time. Overall though, I have a low thyroid (autoimmune Hashimoto's). I have started a blog on my 90-day experiment doing a natural hygiene approach to raw food. Check it out here if you're interested:
www.duriannightmares.blogspot.com

I intend to post follow-ups about my blood work (including antibody levels) and thyroid scans as these become available. My doctor is interested in what the effect will be too.

Good luck with it. I know how awful it can be.

Stacy

Date: January 13, 2010 05:18AM

Hi Loriemonique,

I was also diagnosed with thyroid issues and adrenal insufficiency and was breaking out in hives for two years. But nothing, no medications, ever helped like raw foods has. I have been raw for a year and I think the key for me was fasting and replenishing minerals via green juices and making my blood alkaline. I wish you the best! Don't give up, you're body really can heal itself!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 13, 2010 12:59PM

loriemonique,

Get your iodine levels checked ASAP; your immune system is on the fritz.

oxannamoon's news is very heartening. The raw food regimen is very healing and can reverse the effects of many years of bad lifestyle. I wish you luck in making the change to raw to heal yourself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables