Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question about an edible wild plant
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 06:07PM

Hello,

I grew up in the Midwest and I remember sometimes at camp we'd go canoeing and eat those tall things that grow in swamps - they have tall, firm green shoots, like 4 ft tall and you eat the white part that was in the water after removing the outer husk - does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did anyone else do this? What's that plant called? I get a craving for it everytime I see a pond or lake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about an edible wild plant
Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 14, 2006 06:11PM

Sunshine,

You may want to invest in a book or two on wild edible plants. Check amazon.com and I'm sure you'll find something.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: August 14, 2006 06:42PM

Cool, thanks Marcos! I just did an amazon search and there are a ton of books on edible wild plants!

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: August 15, 2006 03:05AM

Hey Sunshine! When you get your hands on one of those books and figure out which plant you ate, let us know.

I didn't get to go to camp, but I do live in the midwest and I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 15, 2006 03:30AM

Could this be of any help?: [www.wildmanstevebrill.com]

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: August 15, 2006 05:46AM

hey, hey! i have the answer!..
we also did eat those as kids....in Poland...we called them...reads...check out the below info from: www.pfaf.org/leaflets/edibpond.php

Phragmites communis - Common Reed: Native of Britain, growing in shallow waters and wet soils, this member of the grass family can grow up to 12 feet tall so it's not really one for the smaller garden, particularly as it is very invasive. However, it more than makes up for its antisocial tendencies with its quite impressive list of uses. The roots, which contain 5% sugar, are edible and can be dried, ground coarsely and used as a porridge. The young shoots can be eaten raw or cooked and the seed is also edible. If the stem is wounded it exudes a sugary substance which hardens upon exposure to the air. This can be eaten raw or roasted - indeed, the dried and ground inner stem can be moistened and then roasted to make a marshmallow substitute. Other virtues of this plant include the stems for thatching, basket making etc, and a light green dye that can be obtained from the stems.

Scirpus lacustris - Bulrush: Native of Britain, it grows in bogs or shallow pond margins. The roots are edible and can be eaten raw or dried, ground and used as a flour. The young shoots in spring are also edible. The leaves can be used in weaving for making mats, chair seats etc.

Bullrushes are edible. You can eat the roots like potatoes, eat the stalk, and also the 'puffy' part at the top. The 'puffy' part can actually be used to make a kind of flour for making bread.

& from: [brisbane-stories.powerup.com.au]
Annie Mackenzie (1992), writes of the Aboriginal people of the district that they:
"...feasted on snakes, wallabies, possums and in the swampy water holes they found that roots of ferns, bulbs of lilies and fresh water bullrushes were edible - in fact, a delicacy which added variety to their diet.
weeeeeeell....??
what do U think?
LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Date: August 16, 2006 02:45PM

Thanks for all the responses!

Basia, that sounds right, thanks! -- I'm sure the European variety of swamp reeds is pretty much the same as the North American variety.

Gosia, I am all over that wild plants tour, sounds neat!

Once I get my hands on one again & eat it, I'll post here. They are so fresh & tasty - they taste like fresh nature, despite the icky swamp connotation.

Date: August 16, 2006 03:15PM

to me, the reeds centers tasted very.....smooth & fresh, sort of like an avocado, best quality one, & chilled, except minus all the richness & calories...

also love the dandylions, from my yeard, in the shady areas they do very well for many months, & our livers LOOOOOVE them....

wishing U - LOVE & BLESSINGS & wild foraging BLISS, Basia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2006 03:17PM by Basia Holy Healer.

They're cattails and
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: August 16, 2006 04:57PM

They are edible.

I love edible plants wild

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables