Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tired and full of pimples
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 19, 2010 09:57PM

I have been about 80% raw for a little over 2 months now. I have some problems that I thought I should be past this far into this diet. I have a buzzing sound in my head, it's difficult to get up in the morning ( actually worse then before ), more pimples now then before starting the diet, feel also tired a lot. I know these are detox symptoms but I have them continuesly and make me reconcider. Everything makes sense to me with this diet, just not how my body is actually responding to it. Any help and thoughts is much appreciated. I eat mostly fruits and lots of greens which I use in green smoothies and less then 15% of fats.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tired and full of pimples
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 19, 2010 10:57PM

Sorry you are feeling poorly,Silje. Have you been eating enough of each food, that is, keeping your calories up? What is the other 20% of your diet? Is it very healthy cooked food? Bear in mind that some people can detox years after going raw; it matters what else they have/haven't done to refine their lifestyle. It's a long process, and as with any lifestyle overhaul, it may take a long time to see the results one wants to see.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: January 19, 2010 11:36PM

I am 54, so imagine my surprise and irritation to get a huge pimple on my cheek maybe four months after going raw. I hadn't had that in DECADES! I knew it was detox, though. I saw it as confirmation that my body was getting rid of bad stuff - - all the more reason to eat an even cleaner raw diet.

It sounds like you're eating the right thing with lots of fruit, greens and low fat. Could the problem be with the 20% non-raw that you're eating? Or maybe your body is telling you that it needs more sleep? Hmmm. I was lucky to feel so good when I went raw. That feeling is what encouraged me to continue. It must be hard for you to trust the process. I hope you get through your detox soon and start feeling great!

My favorite raw vegan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 11:38PM by Trive.

Date: January 19, 2010 11:44PM

Actually just hearing that it might take more time helps a lot.

The other 20% is always changing, during christmas I ate steamed vegetables for dinner, now I have had big salads with canned corn, olives and beans. I also have an occational night out with friends where I have a couple of beers or wine.

I have had trouble getting enough calories. I don't seem to be able to fit that much food. Though now I have started eating dates also to help get more.

I am wondering though if it might have something to do with me quitting smoking in September 2009. I was a heavy smoker and haven't touched it since, but I guess there is a lot of (pardon my expression) @#$%& that needs to get out of my lungs and system from this. I have no idea how long that takes. I have always eaten healthier then most people so the transition to raw is not the issue.

It seems there is few talking about the negatives on this diet. But it would help a lot to ease the worry of doing things wrong or just understanding what might be going on.

The idea to maybe then go even cleaner has crossed my mined smiling smiley I guess that should be my priority

Thank you for your imput Tamukha and Trive!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 11:46PM by Silje.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 20, 2010 12:09AM

You can drink Sassafras tea for your acne. I agree with the above that you are detoxing. I still get pimples b/c of hormones and I haven't begun drinking the tea.

You might be tired b/c you need to supplement. You may not be getting enough nutrients in your diet. Try fitday.com and check out your nutrient intake.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 20, 2010 03:04AM

Silje,
Have you lost a lot of weight? That happens to a lot of people when they go high raw or completely raw. I have had a few pimples recently, and my partner looked at me like 'uh huh? what about this diet?" also the weight loss, he doesn't like it, I guess it doesn't seem natural for me to be thin.

The longest stretch I have been completely raw was for a few months. I lost some weight pretty rapidly at first, and I had some pimples and boils. Most of the time in or near the area I lost a lot of weight. Sometimes it seemed like I lost lbs literally overnight, with big zits in the area.

I have some history of consuming butter, bacon fat, hydrogenated oils, so I am sure those are part of what is producing them. Even heated natural vegetable oils probably produce some of this. When I was growing up I regularly ate hydrogenated oils, a lot of people thought that was ok, or even healthy.

Date: January 20, 2010 09:20AM

I won't take supplements unless I desperately need B12. But you are right it might be that I am not getting all nutrients that I need. Though I had some days recently where I did a lot of juices with a good mix of everything while eating lots of fruits and greens.

For the pimples a friend of mine told me yesterday that it migth be because I for some dumb reason switched to regular soap. I know I shouldnt use it in my face. I will try that and see if it helps.

I am very skinny from earlier and i weight only 50kilo and i am 173cm tall. Though I have lost a little, maybe a kilo. I don't think I am loosing anything more now though. Or I hope not. But it might be my past as a smoker.

Thank you for your views on this!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 20, 2010 11:22AM

I'd stay clear of the olives and drink plenty of water. Hope it gets better soon!

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: January 20, 2010 12:38PM

Where are your pimples located? This can be an indication of what is detoxifying. Also one can look at reflexology corresponding areas. I do not use soap on my body everyday, but yes water. And the soap that I do use is castille (liquid, pure) soap. I also body brush. I think this is a good sign of your healing. I think you are doing well and encourage you to not consume dead alcoholic beverages.

Date: January 22, 2010 11:19PM

Hi Silje. Just a couple of thoughts as I was reading your post and the great responses to it. In addition to the advise already given I can say that looking into a really quality daily multivitamin could only help. I take Garden of Lifes Raw Vitamin Code for women and it gives me energy that I don't have if I slack off on taking them. They also make a B-12 that helps with tiredness and not having enough energy. But any brand you wanna research and try, go for it.
Also, water which i'm sure you know will help clean out those poors. As will dry brushing, which someone already mentioned.
I don't really think a cpl of beers and glasses of wine on an occasional basis is really going to hinder your system to a severe extent. Especially since your body is so detoxed, it could easily flush out those toxins. Keep in mind though that certian organic sakes (which can be sipped as is or used to make cocktails like fresh mojitos) are raw as are certian organic wines so maybe you can pick the place with your friends that carries these beverages.
Last but not least, I would look into setting up a consultation with a holistic/homeopathic doctor. This is probibly the best advise I could give since they can do blood, urine, saliva tests to see exactly what's going on. I f you're deficint in something, if you require extra supplementation, or if you still need to give your body more time to detox. A good one could be invaluable. I know they can be expensive but I believe it's worth the money. And best of all, they can recommend herbs, foods, vitamins, minerals, superfoods, and flower essences that will help specifically you.
Good Luck!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 11:32PM by Kirsten.

Posted by: Lara_Hastings ()
Date: January 25, 2010 03:35PM

Eating enough calories is very important, no wonder you are tired. I would add some grains, if you are sure you're metabolism handles grains well. Sprouted or soaked grains add a lot. You may also sprout quinoa, or cook it if you don't like the taste of them raw.
Don't skip breakfast if you feel you are hungry all day. Some people need to eat a good meal in the morning, soaked buckwheat porridge for instance gives a wonderful start smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

It goes well with bananas and almond milk, yummm.

I also like others suggest drinking a lot of water.

Posted by: greenlove ()
Date: January 28, 2010 07:57PM

have you tried dry skin brushing? Check out this site for more details:

[rawfoodswitch.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables