Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Manna bread?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 20, 2010 02:33AM

I cannot remember where I read this (probably some raw book) but the author said that they weren't sure about how high a temp the bread is baked at, but they said it's probably okay.

Has anyone ever had this brand of bread? I have. It's stored in the freezer at Whole Foods and other natural stores. It's very moist and made with sprouted grains. It also does not have added sweetners, as I recall, but is actually slightly sweet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Manna bread?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 20, 2010 03:40AM

For peak human efficiency, you'll leave all Breads alone.
Transit time is too slow, creating pressure in the Colon, and massive stools...
all a no-no. On the positive side, it'll give you a full, satisfied feeling.....WY

Date: January 20, 2010 03:47AM

Mmm...massive stools...LOL. Thanks for the visuals, Yogi! But seriously, I don't see elimination on steroids as a bad thing, although I know that gluten products can create hyperactive colon activity, especially for those sensitive to gluten.

What I really was trying to get at was whether some of you folks ever eat the stuff or if it's even considered a raw item. I know that one type of manna is rye, which has gluten. I tried researching about this product, but it seems slightly mysterious to me...

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 20, 2010 04:11AM

Does this apply to sprouted grains as well? I have just started to really like eating sprouted kamut, and I just bought some barley to try. Also buckwheat, but that isn't a grain technically.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 20, 2010 05:33AM

Hi banana who,

Manna bread is not a raw item. I've emailed their company twice about this question, and both times received a very prompt reply confirming that their bread is not raw.

That said, the Manna bread is probably superior to most cooked breads. But for a good raw bread recipe, maybe try Essene Gospel.

Mislu, I'm a real kamut fan too. Doesn't seem to hurt me, as long as I don't eat too much. For me, the kamut seems healthier fresh sprouted and added to salads than dried in bread (ditto all raw dried sprouted breads); but maybe other people can handle the bread a little better than I can.

How do you usually eat your kamut? In bread? Added to salads? Or...?

I think the whole story of the discovery of kamut is intriguing.

I like raw wheat germ too in salads or nori rolls, but usually not more than once a week or so.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 23, 2010 05:06AM

I ate Manna Bread during my first few years of raw. I think it's a good transition food, but not optimal long-term.

Date: January 23, 2010 05:29AM

Suncloud,
I sprout the kamut that I eat. I don't let it go too long, maybe three or four days. Also I don't consume very much of it. I do find that its very different from modern wheat varieties. I tried sprouting some hard red wheat, that tastes awful compared to kamut, to me anyway. I wanted to switch to save a little money, but I don't know if I could do it. Its milder, sweeter, some have suggested 'buttery' but I don't taste that. I especially like drinking the soak water. I eat it with other things, usually with sliced apples, maybe some raisins or once even with pinenuts. I sometimes just eat it by itself.

Yes, kamuts history is very interesting. Its also supposed to be way better nutritionally. I have heard the that the vitamin e content is 30% higher than regular wheat, the mineral content 40% higher depending on the mineral. Also there is supposed to be slightly more oil, so there is more energy. Sprouting it makes it even better I am sure.

At some point I want to start raising my own kamut, fertilizing it with trace minerals, or special compost. I tried growing some in my garden, but conditions were not optimal, so I got very little yield. But I am moving in a view months. I might have access to a gardening area with some relatives, but I haven't asked yet. I think this is a case of counting chicks before they have hatched! I will have to ask, hope and see!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2010 05:32AM by Mislu.

Date: January 23, 2010 06:04AM

Mislu,

Good luck on growing your kamut! smiling smiley

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 23, 2010 06:37AM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Suncloud,
> I sprout the kamut that I eat. I don't let it go
> too long, maybe three or four days.
Mislu....I've tried sprouting Kamut many times, from
many places, and can't get it to germinate properly (less than 20%). Wheareas,
my Wheat berries sprout at nearly 100%.
I'd like to know where you buy your Kamut?.....WY
P.S. For anyone who is interested, I've found a good supplier of Organic
Wheat, but they don't grow Kamut.

[www.bluebirdgrainfarms.com]

Date: January 23, 2010 08:20AM

Hi WY,

I ordered a 25 pound bag from my local health food store. I've never had a problem sprouting it. It would probably make great wheatgrass!

Date: January 23, 2010 07:37PM

Mislu: sprouted grains increase nutritional value, as well as digestability, but I would assume that if someone has Chrohn's or Celiac's (gluten intorance issues), they still would not be able to consume rye, wheat, and barley items. I don't have gluten problems that I know about but I would like to either eliminate it altogether or severely limit it from my diet.

Date: January 23, 2010 07:39PM

Suncloud-

Thanks for the info. I think I stopped short of asking them at what temp they bake their stuff. It's very moist and seemed like it could be raw or close enough. It's a very clean-tasting bread and it seems to be pretty well-tolerated, at least by me. I haven't had it in quite a while and I think I'll get some!

Date: January 24, 2010 05:17AM

Wheatgrass yogi,
I get my kamut from a local coop. It comes in a plastic 1lb bag. I think its grown in montana. I don't recall the farm that produces it. I don't know if I still have the bag. Sprout people carry it, they also have an interesting purple barley.
[www.sproutpeople.com]
[www.sproutpeople.com]

The real reason I am interested in growing it is because it is a source of tocotrienols. Barley is perhaps a bit better, at least by the portion of tocotrienols to tocopherols. These are different forms of vitamin e. The ultimate would be to have fresh red palm fruit. I have never seen that available anywhere. I have seen pressed oil, and have had that, but not the whole fruit. I believe that fruit is the only single source which has all forms of vitamin e.

Date: January 24, 2010 05:20AM

Banana who,
Yes, kamut has gluten along with wheat, barley. If anyone has celiacs, please avoid it. I have heard of other forms of gluten sensitivity, and reportedly kamut is often tolerated. Somehow its not as offensive chemically. I don't know how that is. But for more severe problems like celiacs or krohns I would suggest avoiding it.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: January 24, 2010 10:44AM

Instructions for making Essene bread (with thanks to the Essene Gospel of Peace):

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Date: January 24, 2010 09:39PM

Mislu: I think that kamut is an ancient form of wheat, whereas wheat is hybridized? As with spelt, I think that although kamut has gluten, it is much less than wheat products and that is why it is better tolerated.

Posted by: greenlove ()
Date: January 28, 2010 08:05PM

Good info from a conversation with someone who works at manna...

[www.askwaltstollmd.org]

Date: January 29, 2010 03:00AM

banana who,
I recently developed hives! yikes! I think its from gluten. I had some today, and man was it nasty. I haven't had it from kamut, but I might avoid that for awhile. This was from a sprouted flat bread. My partner has been interested in eating sprouts, but likes them better in flat bread, it looked good so I had one. I am going to avoid it for awhile and see if it helps, if it still happens after a few weeks or months I will suspect something else. Its so awful I can't tell you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables