Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

orange fasts?
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: January 21, 2010 02:45PM

Hello all,

I was reading on another forum about orange juice feasting. I feel like I need a good cleanse. I'm going to try tangelo's all day until dinner when I will have a dark green blended salad. So, I'm just curious if anyone has experience mono-ing oranges? And how'd it turn outsmiling smiley Happy Thursday all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: orange fasts?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 21, 2010 03:30PM

I mono-ate oranges for a few days a few years ago. My skin got really dry and then started to break out(excess Vitamin C can cause acne). Felt well-fueled otherwise. Caveat: I wasn't raw at the time, but I was vegan.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 21, 2010 04:10PM

Never did an orange fast.
But I have done lemon water fasts.
One FRESH squeezed lemon per liter of water.
It must be fresh,not bottled lemon juice.
I have read that lemons are one of the most cleansing fruits you can consume,
They purportedly have a negative ion charge which attracts toxins and metals.

Viinny

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: January 22, 2010 07:42PM

With the winter season leaving us few summer fruits to choose from here in the northeast USA, my daily green smoothies consist of about 6 Whole Oranges (peeled), 2 Whole lemons (peeled), 1 Whole Grapefuit (peeled), 2-4 Bananas, & several cups of fresh Kale or Spinach Greens. I haven't noticed any ill side-effects from the extreme amount of acidic fruit. I prefer to use Grapes as the basis for my green smoothies, but they have been so horribly expensive lately that I can't afford to buy them right now, although I dearly miss them. I'm hoping that all the excess Vit C will be a big immune-booster to me during the cold/flu season. smiling smiley

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 22, 2010 09:46PM

most fruits metabolize as alkaline in the body,no matter how acid they seem.

Date: January 22, 2010 10:20PM

plainlydressed,

What volume of smoothie does that work out to?

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: January 22, 2010 11:27PM

Well, now that I'm using the Vitamix, I can make the full 64 ounces with generally that amount with some variation, depending on the size of the fruit. Right now, I am able to get 2 full quarts for my daily smoothies out of one batch in the Vitamix 64oz carafe with a cup or so spare left over for hubby. smiling smiley With the VM, my concoction has generally come down to:

* 4-6 peeled Oranges
* 1 peeled Grapefruit
* 2 peeled Lemons
* 4 peeled Bananas
* 3 big handfuls of Fresh Kale (my fave)
* Enough distilled water drizzled into the blender to fill it up to the tippy-top

That general concoction usually makes up a batch of 64 ozs.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: January 23, 2010 02:30PM

Thanks, plainlydressed!

Posted by: morgenjune ()
Date: January 25, 2010 02:40AM

Yum! That smoothie sounds amazing! I think the next time I go shopping I will have to make sure I got all of those ingredients smiling smiley

nomnomnomnom...!

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: January 25, 2010 10:29AM

I have done 4 days on nothing but fresh OJ and distilled water. I did well.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 28, 2010 05:46PM

I think a single citrus-type fast MIGHT give rise to acute detox in someone that is rather unhealthy internally. This might cause acne...breakouts...or any other of the type of reactions related to detox. This NOT the almighty orange's fault! ha! ha!

Any true health gauge must come from a series of small, regular-type cleanses....followed by an improved diet.

It is my experience that those that are otherwise healthy......will benefit greatly by many 1-3 day citrus juice fasts over the course of 6 months.

-Just my experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: greenlove ()
Date: January 28, 2010 06:59PM

Seems like there are pluses and minuses tot he orange cleanse, check out this site, it's a pretty interesting one on the subject:

[www.raw-food-living.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables