Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

wine
Posted by: egliux ()
Date: January 27, 2010 07:42PM

I am about 90% raw, but still have a couple of glasses of red wine on the weekends. Is wine raw? To consider myself 100% raw I should stop consuming wine? Is anyone else likes wine and thinks it is good for you in moderate even being raw? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wine
Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 27, 2010 08:52PM

Many raw foodists drink wine, while many others choose to avoid all alcohol. I usually avoid it, but do make exceptions for family gatherings. Many raw foodists drift naturally away from alcohol over time, and I have found that to be true myself.

Wine and beer aren't pasteurized after fermentation, so they are more raw than distilled alcoholic beverages. Most wines have added sugar, which is not raw. The fermentation process uses up the natural fruit sugars, and without adding sugar the wine is very dry. Also, many wines are not vegan. Animal products are used particularly in filtering steps. I have seen a website that listed wineries that produce truly vegan wine, but I don't have the link anymore. You can probably find out more by talking directly to winery staff. Your best bet would be a dry wine from a vegan winery.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 28, 2010 03:00PM

Beer is not raw at all - the grain is roasted in the very beginning stages.

The idea that a glass of red wine is good for you is countered by some raw folk because as a raw fooder you should be in such tip top condition that you do not need a glass of wine for it's supposed beneficial properties. smiling smiley

It's entirely up to you - no it is not raw - should you have it - that's your choice.

It is probably something that many people agonize over. I think you follow YOUR path in the best way that YOU can. Everyone here will support you.

Date: January 28, 2010 04:19PM

Thank you! It helps!

Posted by: greenlove ()
Date: January 28, 2010 07:07PM

This site has lots of important info on raw wine-- I love wine too, so we don't have to give it up, yay!

[rawepicurean.net]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 28, 2010 10:43PM

wine made with stray yeast may be very unpleasant and no added sugar!!! hmm

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: January 29, 2010 12:18PM

This summer I made, I don't know if you call it, wine. I let fresh juiced fruit, one time strawberries another time grapes, ferment naturally for a few days. Then I refrigerated it. I got a product that was sparkling and yummy! And I am sure healthy.

Date: January 29, 2010 02:38PM

My grandma use to make fresh apple juice, leave for couple of days in room temperature and it taste like apple cider with little buzz..smiling smiley Thanks everyone for input..Iwill try raw wine too!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables