Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Traveling and Raw
Posted by: Libbythebc ()
Date: February 05, 2010 09:46PM

I'm just converting to the raw lifestyle, I'm aiming for two meals a day for now. It is a change for me for sure, I'm on a "healthy' version of the SAD. I'm doing good and have good support. I was a vegetarian for a long time, but always felt empty when I did hard physical labor unless I ate eggs or cheese. I travel a lot from Feb-Oct. I'm on the road for 4-10 days at a time in my car often staying in hotels or camping. Does anyone have suggests for keeping up on the raw eating while unable to store perishable items. I can keep a cooler for the short trips no worries, but the longer stuff concerns me. I have been feeding and raising working dogs on raw meat and veggies(90% with some kibble) for years and have seen what it does for them as athletes through all life stages. Now it is my turn!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Traveling and Raw
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 07, 2010 04:07AM

It takes a bit of planning, but it does work. Depending on where I'm going, I pack my own food for the trip (nuts/fruit bars are easy to pack) and make sure I have the right tools on hand (ie. Magic Bullet/blender). I stock up on raw fruit/veggies when I arrive. I try to find out if there is a raw food restaurant nearby - because that would definitely make things easier, but I also scope out good organic grocers. Generally, it can be done, but takes a little more work. I've had some very successful trips eating raw just by being prepared. It's even important to plan for your travel time - having snacks handy, or being familiar with food places so that you know where to stop to eat. If you are going to be staying with people, it's always good to let them know about your diet in advance. We always stay with my Mom when we go home, everyone there knows we are raw/veggies and they are used to it. We love making food for family - it shows that there are lots of good things to eat on our diet and it makes it easier on us. After a few family dinners where we only had a limited supply of cooked veggies (peas/potatoes) for "our" meal, we learned to accommodate ourselves. I also look at menus in advance in case we'll be eating out. Again, it's all about advance prep for me. The surprising thing is that because I plan so much for my trips, I tend to stick closer to the ideal raw diet when I'm travelling than when I'm home.

Posted by: lolahunt3 ()
Date: February 07, 2010 05:42PM

leannesusan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It takes a bit of planning, but it does work.
> Depending on where I'm going,

This was helpful -- thanks! -Sue

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 07, 2010 06:17PM

good post leannesusan, travelling is usually where i let myself down so this info has helped.

the tip of scouting out various raw restaurants first is a good one, i never realised how many their would be even some of the smaller cities have little niche raw cafes.

Date: February 07, 2010 08:11PM

Thanks for the tips. I often have to stop to pick up more raw for the dogs and am pretty handy about finding a grocery mart. I have a feeling I will eat more fruit while in these trips since I can bring whole apples, bananas and the like, greens don't keep well, so I will make a point of finding places that have awesome salads/salad bars. I'm heading to rural ID for 4 days to work a friend's sheep, so it should be an interesting test of my preparedness.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 07, 2010 08:26PM

sprouts are good smiling smiley (eg sunflower, alfalfa, broccoli, quinoa etc) you can grow them in the car - they don't go off (well not in 4 days anyway) they just get bigger grinning smiley.

before you go find out if there are any juice/smoothie bars in the area. I find this is a big help for me - raw food is pretty easy to get in markets etc and you can always get a salad in a restaurant, but if I don't have a blender with me I really miss my smoothies. meetup.com is pretty good for finding local raw food groups.

happy travlin smiling smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 07, 2010 08:47PM

good call on the sprouts lisa, their a good source of protein aswell.

any tips on where to purchase seeds and how to grow?

cheers

Date: February 09, 2010 03:54AM

Sproutpeople.com is awesome they have raw almonds that actually sprout

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 09, 2010 03:10PM

A dehydrator would be of use here,to dry fruits and veggies to make them non perishable.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 09, 2010 09:59PM

Hi Powerlifer
I take it from your website you're in the UK like me? I get mine online from places like fresh network [www.fresh-network.com] and sometimes manage to pick up organic ones in gardening centres like focus or B&Q. Also of course many health food shops have them. As for growing tips, the best book I've found is the old classic 'Raw Energy' by Leslie Kenton, she has a really comprehansive chapter in the book about sprout growing. Also the Viktorus Kulvinskas book [www.naturalusa.com] gives an excellent guide to growing indoor greens and sprouts.
also you could look at this website, looks pretty good: [www.energiseforlife.com]

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables