Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Digestion Probiotics and New to Raw-for humans
Posted by: Libbythebc ()
Date: February 05, 2010 10:00PM

Hey I have a few questions and want some feed back.

I was a vegetarian for a long time and even toyed with vegan-ism. But I had 2 huge problems with it both forms of eating. 1 I always felt hungry and my blood sugar had a hard time staying level. I would get what I call psyco-glycemic. So I solved this by grazing all the time, which just drove me crazy cuz I don't have time to feed my face every three hours. So far so good on the raw, but I haven't had to put in a hard days labor since the change either. Curious how i hold up 2 I had HORRIBLE gas all the time as a vegetarian. So far on the raw mild gas, some discomfort but popping a probiototic in the morning seems to resolve this. Any ideas on how long it should take to get my digestion in order? I think cutting down unsprouted grains and legumes will help, I suspect the little bit of cooked grains and legumes are my culprit.
For those that don't eat 100% raw what are you eating in addition. I'm planing to keep eggs. I like them and I can get them from my friend's happy back yard chickens. I'm up in the air about cheese, I love it so I'll keep it for now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Digestion Probiotics and New to Raw-for humans
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 05, 2010 10:22PM

Read about the dangers of dairy in The China Study by Dr Campbell.

Also the dairy industry is a very cruel, intensive system.

This is a useful site to learn more from [www.milkmyths.org.uk]

Please be aware that this is a vegan forum and so chatting about enjoying your animal products won't be welcome.

I think it is trial and error as to what creates gas - it varies from person to person and will change along your raw journey.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 05, 2010 10:24PM

Libby,

Welcome. Have you ruled out an actual metabolic disorder, like Type II diabetes? Also, have you ruled out a fungal or parasitic infection? These can cause the gastric symptoms you are describing.

Every body adjusts to raw in its own way and time. The best advice I've seen here is to increase consumption of leafy greens before cooked foods until they form the balance or the meal, and to increase the consumption of raw fruit, on an empty stomach ONLY, until this edges out, say, breakfast. Likewise, it can be hard on a body to combine fats like nuts with carbs like fruits, so maybe try eating categories singly. It isn't necessary to eat sprouted grains or seeds, although many of us do. If you don't think you are tolerating them, consider not eating them for the time being.

This is a vegan forum, so we don't discuss animal foods : )

Posted by: Libbythebc ()
Date: February 06, 2010 12:04AM

Sorry seemed the best place (category) to ask questions.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 06, 2010 12:53AM

I have found that when I eat fermented veggies, I feel all tingly inside. I am not high raw, either, so it may be helpful for us wannabes! I don't know if you know anything about fermentation, but all you need is a 2 qt. glass jar or a crock pot and purified water, along with whatever veggies you want to ferment. I have found that cabbage is very good because of its alkalinity. You add a couple of Tbsp. of sea salt to the chopped cabbage and cover the lid with a breathable material (cloth or mesh). And let the air do the rest! You will see bubbling after a bit. I think you have to stir it every day or so to make sure the cabbage stays covered. In any case, it's inexpensive and full of friendly bacteria.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables