Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hair Loss
Posted by: Mseight04 ()
Date: February 08, 2010 01:58PM

Hello, Is there any natural products or foods that can be taken or eaten to stimulate hair growth. I went to the doctor, & she stated my hair loss is not due to being RAW. My problem with that is, although I am RAW, I may not be getting enough nutrients. Alot of times, I don't want to eat. A typical day for me is a 32 oz smoothie, salad & fruit. I need help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hair Loss
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 08, 2010 02:54PM

Blocking DHT is a good start and one of the most common causes of hair loss.

Nettle powder(if you need i just got 25kg of organic in), Licorice(go with chinese as american is stimulating to adrenals). Nettle will supply minerals such as silica(common cause of hair loss).

the highest non herbal source of silica is diatomaceous earth.

Hair loss can also be a result of lack of iodine, or thyroid issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 02:54PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 08, 2010 03:15PM

Although hair loss is worrying, not getting enough nutrients is an even bigger concern.

First, find out what specific nutrients you are lacking. Try using fitday.com, nutridiary.com or one of those kinds of sites to check on what nutrients you are deficient in. If you can pinpoint what ones you need more of, then you can add some foods high in those specific nutrients to your salad, make different smoothies on different days, or vary the fruits you eat to provide the missing nutrients.

Another suggestion would be to get your blood work done. That's a sure way to check for your specific deficiencies. Since that doctor didn't suggest it, you might want to consider another doctor for that?

My favorite raw vegan

Date: February 08, 2010 04:45PM

Actually i just read how much your eating which is definitley and showing not enough.

your going to need to up your food intake, that probably wouldnt even average around 1000 calories, probably more like half of that which will cause your body to shut down. You will also end up with many nutrient deficiences which will also cause your body processes to stop.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 08, 2010 05:53PM

>your going to need to up your food intake, that probably wouldnt even average around 1000 calories, probably more like half of that <

actually there is no way of knowing how much fruit Mseight04 is eating from his/her post - it is perfectly possible to get sufficient calories from fruit.

I do think running it through fitday or something similar is a good idea though.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: February 08, 2010 08:01PM

Consuming freshly juiced celery and greens everyday is a good idea! Because it is very high in nutrients, yet very easy to digest. Many people fail in their digestion, one way or another. Drinking green juices, is like health insurance! This will help you, just incase you are not chewing enough or your glands are weak causing poor digestion.

Date: February 08, 2010 08:36PM

unless your consuming very large amounts of strawberries it would be hard to get sufficient iodine just on fruit alone.

juicing is always a good ideawinking smiley

if weak digestion is an issue then digestive bitters are the best thing you can do, they stimulate the bitter receptors at the back of the tongue which inturn stimulates the release of stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, bile secretion and in turn cleanses the liver and gallbladder. Best thing you can do to cleanse your liver also.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: February 09, 2010 11:52AM

[www.hairboutique.com]
Sudden Hair Loss & Strict Diets
It is a proven scientific fact that a diet that weighs in at less than 1,200 calories a day can trigger sudden hair loss known as "Telogen effluvium".

Note: Telogen effluvium (TE) is not the same as Anagen effluvium (AE) with is sudden hair loss from chemotherapy or radiation treatments.

The body will often react to the physical stress of severely reduced calories or necessary nutrients by falling out in clumps. Diets that are especially low in protein are most suspect.

When the body is deprived of sufficient protein, through dieting or other abnormal food consumption, it will become malnourished. The human body is an amazing machine. When threat of survival is present, the body will shut down all production of hair. It does this as a means to devote all of its energies towards conserving vital body organs

The body will save protein by shifting healthy hairs that are in a normal growth phase (anagen) into a sudden resting phase. Under healthy conditions about 85-90 percent of all hair is in the growing phase. Only 10 percent of hair is usually in a resting phase before it ultimately falls out after a few months as part of the standard hair growth cycle.

Telogen effluvium does not usually cause bald patches but it does prematurely force a much larger percentage of scalp hair into a sudden resting phase. Hair that is forced into an early resting period will almost always react by thinning and falling out.
. . .

Hair Loss Cycles During Crash Dieting
Massive hair shedding may not happen immediately after a new fast or similar crash diet is started. In some cases there is a two to three month delay between the actual start of the diet and the actual beginning of hair loss.

Sometimes a person will have stopped crash dieting only to experience the sudden hair loss months later. This can cause confusion regarding the cause of the "sudden" hair loss.

The reality of the situation is that if you crash diet for two months and ultimately experience Telogen effluvium hair loss, your hair may not stop falling out until several weeks after you discontinue the dieting. The re-growth cycle for hair lost to TE can last anywhere from 6 to 12 months after the Telogen effluvium related hair loss subsides.

This means that the total hair loss and re-growth cycle can last 6 months, or possibly longer, when induced by physical stress of calorie deprivation.

The physical stress of extreme weight loss may increase the production of androgens, the male sex hormones that are destined to kill hair follicles. One the androgen production is increased and the hair follicles are destroyed no re-growth will occur.

Although most people will experience total hair re-growth, some people will not be so fortunate. Limited caloric diets and large weight fluctuations may trigger more permanent genetic hair loss conditions to appear earlier than normal.

Prolonged crash dieting by people who are genetically predetermined towards hair loss can result in hair that is lost forever.

Date: February 09, 2010 05:16PM

Thank you everyone. I truly believe I'm missing alot of nutrients. Since I started back RAW 14 Sep 09, I have lost 55 pds. I don't want to gain weight. I only drink one 32 oz smoothie a day. I may have 2 diffenrent fruits throughout the day. A salad almost everyday. Sometimes I juice. I eat avacado's at times, & I make Almond milk and try to drink often. I will try fitday.

I am anemic, & the doctor told me it wasn't my thyroids. As I stated before, it may be pschological, but I don't want 2 eat (im sure 4 fear of gaining weight). I'm not sure how much more I need 2 eat without gaining weight. I'm so confused! I WANT MY HAIR BACK!

I'm also going to see a Dermatologist, & I will request blood work to see what my levels are.

Date: February 09, 2010 06:29PM

anemia can cause hair loss also, nettle powder as i recommended before is rich in minerals and is good for anemia.

i hope this doenst come over as rash but it sounds like you may have an eating disorder. Dont worry about gaining weight just eat healthy and exercise. You are doing your body damage and i know because ive been through similar.

if theirs anything i can help with just PM me. But get eating and dont worry about getting fatsmiling smiley.

Date: February 09, 2010 09:27PM

I don't know what I would do without this site! It's so helpful. I went to the fitday, & wow, was I shocked. I'm at 934 calories and it 1626 hrs. I also only consumed 19 g of protien out of the 74.4 I'm suppose 2 consume (.4 x my weight). I've got to get eating! I have 2 figure this out! I'm shocked!

Thank u all! I'm going 2 purchase the nettle powder. Does anyone know what I can eat to get lots of protein besides almonds?

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 09, 2010 09:35PM

Tonya Zavasta writes a lot about hair loss and has some hair thickening products etc: [www.beautifulonraw.com]

I keep putting links to Tonya's site everywhere, lol, I promise I'm not on commission grinning smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: February 09, 2010 09:59PM

Good to see you found out how much your consuming.

Maybe in the meantime it would be better to go even vegan until you get your calories back up then make a smooth transition into raw if thats what you intend on doing.

if you can find sprouts or can grow your own their a good protein source, try some other nuts to get some variation although almonds are good. Hemp seed is good, dried goji berries contain complete protein and also good source of vitamin C, A and Iron(anemia). If i think of anything else ill post or PM. Seaweeds such as nori, wakame and dulse are good protein sources for their weight along with vitamin b complex and minerals.

Nettle powder will help fill over some cracks and help with the anemia also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 10:00PM by powerlifer.

Date: February 10, 2010 12:22PM

hey mseight04 i tried to PM you but your PM box is full.

Let me know when its not so i can reply.

Cheers

Posted by: marksquire ()
Date: February 13, 2010 06:15AM

I've dealt with hair loss, so I can add to this debate a bit. From my experience, hair loss results from nerve damage or irregularities. I've never seen, nor heard of a cool, calm, collected person, with solid digestion and a good stomach, who was experiencing hair loss. It just doesn't happen. Hair loss is often the result of frazzled nerves, as it was in my position.

Candida needs to be gone for optimal hair growth. If your digestion is perfect, with a strong appetite, don't worry about candida.

MSM is a great nutrient, for a variety of reasons.
Horsetail Tea is rich in silica, is alkaline.
A herbal formula called Samson's Secret is excellent.
Coconut Oil is fantastic for the hair, especially when taken internally.
B vitamins are crucial.

Very sweet sugars like bananas and red grapes were always bad for my hair as well. I need to avoid them.

Best,
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables