Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone ever juice sugar cane? I bought a piece at Whole Foods today
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 10, 2010 02:46AM

.99/lb. My piece only cost .40 but when I cut off a bit at home, it was black. On both ends.sad smiley I'm taking it back in the morning.

My grandma had sugar cane growing wild outside her home in Puerto Rico. She'd hack off a piece and give it to me and I'd chew the juice out of it. I have heard that they sell sugar cane juice in the Indian area of my city but I've never had it. Has anyone ever tried to juice this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone ever juice sugar cane? I bought a piece at Whole Foods today
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 10, 2010 03:25AM

when I visited Costa Rica I had some sugar cane juice from the farmer's market in San Isidro. It was very sweet and intense. They have some special machine that could juice it, but it seems like it would work in a Champion.

My favorite juice in Costa Rica was guanabana juice. Every time I drank the stuff it made me feel happy.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 10, 2010 04:46AM

I tried sugar cane and found that I could get a lot of juice out by just twisting it. But maybe that was an exceptionally juicy piece.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 10, 2010 01:28PM

If you have a juicer like the champion or the omega (that's the one I have) you can cut the cane into short thin spears and juice it that way. It's very hard on the macine though (the omega at least in my experience) because it's so tough and fiberous. It would work best in a green star juicer with the two stainless steel gears.
Yes, it is very, very sweet. I find it overwhelmingly so but it would be nice added to other milder juices like cucumber for a refreshing summer beverage I think. And it would make an incredible lime &/or lemonaide too. Num smiling smiley

Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: February 10, 2010 02:27PM

I had sugar cane juice at a raw foods demo by Khepra Anu, a raw food chef here in DC. He had a special juicer that he got from someplace in the tropics (I think in Jamaica or maybe Puerto Rico).

The juice is intensely sweet.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 10, 2010 10:13PM

Coco-

Yeah, the outer part reminds me of bamboo and I would imagine it would challenge a juicer, but I have the Omega 8006 so it might actually work. What I could do is peel that part and just juice the inner.

Thanks also for the suggestion of the addition of lemon. I actually thought of that as a way to flavor and get raw sugar to the whole thing. Perhaps dilute with a bit of purified water? Yum!

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: February 11, 2010 02:12AM

This is the type of machine I've seen used in commercial establishments to juice cane on demand, usually found in hispanic neighborhood stores.

Another alternative could be to use a manual meat grinder but it wouldn't yield as much juice.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: brome ()
Date: February 11, 2010 06:52PM

Here's an article on sugar cane juicing:

[ezinearticles.com]

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: February 20, 2010 04:22PM

The best sugar cane juicer is your own teeth. Take the skin off, Crunch, chew spit out the pulp. We can get it here by the gallon. If drinking it straight best to dilute it with water.
Enjoy winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables