Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ready-to-eat Rice Requires No Cooking
Posted by: Raw Seeker ()
Date: February 10, 2010 02:46PM

Soak in water at room temperature for 45 mins then eat!!
It's not GMO. It's raw. It's filling.
It's RICE!!!

How will this affect the raw food movement?

I think this can be of help to new raw fooders who like rice and need that full feeling during transition. Maybe rawbies at any stage might find it a useful addition to their diet.

What do you think?

I don't know if heat is used in the process of removing the chaff(outer inedible casing) from the rice grain. If anyone knows anything, please post.

The articles are below:

[english.cri.cn]

[www.indiaenews.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ready-to-eat Rice Requires No Cooking
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 10, 2010 07:30PM

Very interesting! It would be even more interesting if the rice was enzymatically active (like a sprouted seed/grain)! Either way - I think its a good thing!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 10, 2010 08:22PM

It would still be Mucus Forming, like cooked rice.....WY

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 10, 2010 09:54PM

Wheatgrass Yogi:

LOL. Buzz kill...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 11, 2010 12:22AM

I don't know about raw foodists, but to have a rice that doesn't require that people deforest the land for fuel to cook is a great idea.

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: February 11, 2010 01:50PM

Paul Pitchford from 'Healing With Whole Foods' suggests chewing raw rice, until it becomes like water before swallowing, for his parasite prevention program. It is supposed to clean the colon. I tried it and love the flavor!

I have not sprouted my rice first because I had read to only sprout wild rice, not regular rice. Of course wild rice is not rice at all, but I believe a member of the maize family. I do not know why one should not sprout regular long or short grain rice. Any feedback?

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 11, 2010 06:44PM

There's a method of preparing long grain brown rice that calls for an 18 hour soak so that the grain begins to germinate. From that point it's traditionally cooked but I've tried making raw rice milk instead with unsweet results. I guess the carbs in rice are mostly starch? It would be nice to release the sweetness from the grain, like you do, faeterri. Some rice comes parboiled (converted), like the second article above mentions is commonly done, which makes for 'easy cook' rice and might unlock some of the sweetness...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 11, 2010 08:14PM

I am doubtful about this product, I'd have to know more about what they did to the rice to get it this way.

As for wild rice, it isn't raw at all, it's heated during processing. Soaking it softens it, it doesn't sprout it since it's been cooked and is dead. Still tasty though if you don't mind about that.

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: February 11, 2010 09:48PM

Rita from SproutHouse.com writes: It has not been easy to get, but I finally did! Lundberg's Organic Wehani Rice is actually sproutable. Soak overnight or for as long as 24 hours with a water change in the middle at 12 hours. And sprout for a few days. Now, some of you may want to it eat raw like this, and some of you may choose to cook it a little bit as it is still very chewy and kind of crunchy even after it has been sprouted. This is a beautiful grain to look at and to touch and feel. Mix it with your mung, adzuki, lentils and enjoy!

I heard Wehani is wild rice and would it sprout if it was not organic?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 11, 2010 10:26PM

Wehani isn't wild rice, but a hybridized variant of Basmati. I am wondering if it's wise to eat even a sprouted [true]rice grain, as it has starches we can't digest properly . . . Still this stuff will be a boon to poor farmers, for sure.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 11, 2010 10:54PM

faeterri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rita from SproutHouse.com writes: It has not been
> easy to get, but I finally did! Lundberg's
> Organic Wehani Rice is actually sproutable. Soak
> overnight or for as long as 24 hours with a water
> change in the middle at 12 hours. And sprout for
> a few days. Now, some of you may want to it eat
> raw like this, and some of you may choose to cook
> it a little bit as it is still very chewy and kind
> of crunchy even after it has been sprouted. This
> is a beautiful grain to look at and to touch and
> feel. Mix it with your mung, adzuki, lentils and
> enjoy!
>
> I heard Wehani is wild rice and would it sprout if
> it was not organic?

I think it will sprout regardless as long as it's not parboiled as it comes in the package. The idea of mixing with other sprouts appeals to me as a serving suggestion.

Date: February 12, 2010 12:48AM

I wonder Tam if the starches convert like they do in other sprouted grains. Though I have to say, sprouted grains never taste very good to me...

Date: February 12, 2010 06:07AM

Pretty amazing. This could potentially change billions of lives. We'll see.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 12, 2010 12:48PM

coco,

Yeah, the starchiness is never quite sufficiently sprouted away for the grain to be palatable to me. Shades of starch paste glue in kindergarten!

community builder,

I know, I'm like cross fingers this ends up benefiting and only benefiting life on this planet. And by "life," I do not mean emancipated corporations : )

Date: February 12, 2010 02:01PM

you can do this with oats too. steel cut oats are the best. when i was young, i used to eat raw oatmeal all the time. I made it in my barbie kitchen. I even had a boyfriend I made it for. I was like 10 years or less. I used to do it with quick oats. I dont think my mom knew. I just made it up. Dont know if quick oats are the best oats to soak and eat, but i do know that steel cut oats are good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables