Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Will (happily) work for food
Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: February 10, 2010 09:40PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it oddly satisfying to have to "work" at obtaining their food? By this I am referring to cracking open walnuts from the shell, for example, as opposed to buying them already shelled. Or going through the somewhat messy ritual of extracting pomegranate seeds from the whole fruit instead of just drinking the juice. I don't know what it is, but as I go along on this raw journey I am wanting to work at obtaining the "prize" rather than have it just so "ready to eat."

Sprouting is another example. I love the whole process of watching the dry little mung beans (or lentils) go through their miraculous transformation into a crunchy, edible food-- even though it takes a day or two.

Am I alone in this? Just wondering...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will (happily) work for food
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 10, 2010 10:58PM

You are not alone! When I was young, we often had a bowl of mixed nuts in their shells on a table in the living room. We would all admire when anyone cracked a Brazil nut and got it out whole.

I get as excited as any kindergarten child doing a seed planting science project whenever I sprout seeds.

There aren't many of us with the patience for pomegranate peeling, though.

I like to peel grapefruit. Some go for the quick slice and scoop, but I love peeling individual sections and eating them whole.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: February 11, 2010 07:50PM

Yes, peeling your own grapefruit and the other examples mentioned are wonderful symbolic acts of understanding that we need to "work" for our food. I esp. love the mention of trying to open up Brazil nuts. I remember trying that as a child, too, when my father would buy unshelled nuts at Christmas.

However nice the symbolism, I suggest you grow a garden, or at least go to a you-pick farm. Try picking gallons of strawbs or other delicate, lowgrowing produce and you will appreciate your food more than ever. Talk about whetting your appetite!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 11, 2010 08:06PM

yep i find it quite relaxing actually to sit an play with my food before i can eat it smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 12, 2010 01:39AM

You arent alone in this.
I love growing my sprouts,and have big plans for turning my grass filled backyard into a veggie production area this summer.

Vinny

Date: February 12, 2010 03:40AM

Yeah-- Horsea, I was thinking of locating a "pick your own" farm this summer (I live in New York City). Those memories of being a kid and my Mom piling everybody (five kids) into the station wagon and going to a strawberry-picking farm are still with me. Talk about cheap labor! But it was fun to see at the end of the day how much we were able to pick-- a carload! And the berries are so much sweeter picked fresh.

I think there might be some places near the city; I'll have to see.

Funny thing about the grapefruit- if I am feeling leisurely and "present", then I will peel, and pull apart the sections one by one. If I am in a more hyper state- and not so mindful- I will do a swift slice and tear.

Yeah, it IS fun to play with one's food--- or at least appreciate the "back story" of how it came to be...

Date: February 12, 2010 05:18PM

Hey, Vinny, best of luck with your garden-to-be! I'm interested in knowing just what you are going to do; please keep us informed. Buddhist, I hope you can find a pick it yourself farm in the summer. Personally, I feel sorry for anyone living in the big city but you seem happy; I guess that we are called to be where it is right for us at the moment.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 13, 2010 12:09AM

On the trail this morning I came across a blackberry patch that was loaded with ripe, luscious blackberries. I don't know how I hadn't seen them before, but there they were - calling me to stop jogging and pick them. Talk about working for food! I was dressed in shorts and a sleeveless top - not the best blackberry-picking attire. However, it was worth every scratch!

My favorite raw vegan

Date: February 13, 2010 01:53AM

Trive, lucky you! I remember once, while visiting my Mom in Michigan one summer, walking with her in the back yard property when she just reached up and picked a few berries from a large bush while carrying on a conversation with me. I asked her what she was eating, and she said blackberries-- that she didn't plant them, but that the seeds just "blew in" from somewhere and voila- a nice juicy blackberry source, right in her backyard. My jaw dropped, recalling the price per pound I pay for them in the city at my health food store. Jeez! How lucky can you be?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 13, 2010 04:54AM

Sigh. I wish I had more time for this. I used to LOVE taking lots of time to peel and crack and man-handle my food. I am just too busy with these kids of mine to sit still for any time at all right now. Grapefruit were the best, I'd separate the little teeny teardrop shaped bits and eat them one by one, it took ages...

Posted by: iamwhatiam ()
Date: February 20, 2010 10:51AM

haha yes, its almost as if the food is more satisfying like that.
right now - i've got unshelled mac nuts i gathered myself, sprouts that are ready to be eaten, and had a kale/lettuce/carrot/greenbean salad (all of which i grew in my garden) with wild cherry tomatoes that we picked along the beach the other day. its so much more rewarding an experience when you've got that kind of relationship with your food i think.
just planted an avocado tree up on the hill the other day..and have got papaya seeds started!!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 20, 2010 03:45PM

Growing my own sprouts and vegetables is my next priority, any good guides would be appreciated for basic gardening.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 20, 2010 06:37PM

powerlifer , sproutpeople site has an enormous amount of info on sprouting to start with smiling smiley [www.sproutpeople.com] hope this helps smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 20, 2010 07:34PM

iamwhatiam - papayas & avocados? Holy cow, where do you live?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 20, 2010 10:10PM

thanks jgunn nice onesmiling smiley. spring is coming up so this is a good time for me to learn and im getting better in the kitchen also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables