Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Freezing produce
Posted by: Libbythebc ()
Date: February 11, 2010 02:39AM

Thought I would toss this out for a question. I know freezing changes produce but was wondering if any of you freeze some of your produce. I have A LOT of farms around here that produce berries(organic) as well as peaches and it would be much more affordable and sustainable for me to pick my own at the U Pick and freeze. Other than the obvious it has been frozen any reasons why not? Anyone have the science behind what exactly changes or what is lost?

I know from making my own raw dog food constant freeze and thaw changes the protein dramatically, cuts in 1/10(ish) for every freeze thaw cycle and destabilizes other nutrients. I avoid this with the dog food and I would plan to avoid it with the berries.

Peace

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freezing produce
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: February 11, 2010 07:49AM

With berries & other fruit, too, all you have to do to improve the texture/taste/etc. before freezing is to pour a bit of sugar on them and mix. Just a bit.

This little procedure somehow acts as a preservative in a positive sense. When you thaw the fruit out to eat it, it will have a much nicer taste than if you just throw the fruit into the freezer.

Vegetables must be blanched but I guess that is not an issue with people who are 100% raw. It has to do with stopping the enzymes.

Posted by: Libbythebc ()
Date: February 11, 2010 03:01PM

Thanks!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 11, 2010 03:37PM

I freeze fruit, but not for years on end.

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: February 13, 2010 01:39AM

I buy berries at the farmer's market once a week and find that they will definitely go bad by 'day 5' so I rinse, de-stem, and freeze to get me through a whole week of breakfast smoothies.

IMO frozen organic berries from the market are better than no fresh berries and frozen berries from Safeway. (Speaking of I looked on a bag of frozen mango I bought from them this morning: picked in Mexico and packaged in Canada...ugh!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables