Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ears are rejecting piercings lol smiling smiley
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 15, 2010 07:04AM

Ok so the last few weeks , ive tried everything , made sure my studs and hoops were scrupulously clean, fingers clean putting them in even , even boiled them ... and my ear holes are just rejecting them ... i have never been able to wear anything but gold without my earholes getting festering itchy and puss so im suprised that lately even the gold is being rejected

am i doomed to never having ear bling again? has anyone else experienced this?

back in 02' when i had cancer my nose piercing constantly rejected too untill i gave it up

now the ears... hmmm lol smiling smiley

or .. i wonder .. i have been getting a number of acupuncutre treatments (on the upper part of the ear fold) for stress relief and wonder if that has something to do with my festering lobes ......

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 07:17AM by Jgunn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ears are rejecting piercings lol smiling smiley
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 15, 2010 09:38AM

The first thing which sprang to my mind which sounds flippant but really isn't is

Did the acupuncturist use sterilised/clean needles?

Which came first the festering lobes or the acupuncturist? I am sure even as I am writing this that your acupuncturist is perfectly alright - it just seems a bit of a co-incidence.

I've never heard of anybody not being able to wear gold before - it will be interesting to hear what others have to say.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2010 01:49PM

gold sensitivity is common. Have you tried real piercing jewelry from a good shop? It will cost you more but it's made of the same metal used for surgical tools.
I have very small tunnels in my ears so that I can easily wear any kind or earring (that will fit through them. I usually put charms onto hoops) because that metal doesn't touch my ears, only the tunnels do. They are about the diameter of a small drinking straw, small enough that if and when I take them out my ear holes will shrink back up. I had to stretch my ear holes to take them and the whole process was actually a bit costly but now it's done and I can buy earrings at the thrift store for a quarter with no fear of irritation.

Good luck!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 15, 2010 02:34PM

Coco - do I understand this right - you wear tunnels of the special metal used for surgical tools. What is that metal and is anyone sensitive to that - I assume not.

I am really interested to hear that gold sensitivity is common - I had no idea

Date: February 15, 2010 03:26PM

hi Jan , yes the needles are in sterile individual packs and he wears surgical gloves. Im not sure which started first really because it just made me think that it started a out the same time as the acupncture ..

Coco im curious about the tunnels too , ive never heard of that smiling smiley

Posted by: Libbythebc ()
Date: February 15, 2010 03:48PM

I would also suggest surgical steel, it is the only thing I wear in my piercings. I can get away with sterling in my ears and high% gold, but not for long. I would also suggest going to a reputable piercing shop and asking them what they use for an antiseptic when they send the new pierced home.

Date: February 15, 2010 06:50PM

This is what I have. [www.bodyjewelleryshop.com]
A pretty small guage so the outer edge is about the circumference of a plastic drinking straw, the inside hole smaller than that. Hoops about the size of a quarter or a bit bigger than that fit in nicely and I can hang any kind of charm from them. I can wear some earrings that are on a hook so long as I pinch the opening closed so that it doesn't slip out.

This is from Wiki

Body piercing jewelry should be hypoallergenic. A number of materials are used, with varying strengths and weaknesses. Surgical stainless steel, niobium and titanium are commonly used metals, with titanium the least likely to cause allergic reaction of the three. Platinum and palladium are also safe alternatives, even in fresh piercings. Initial piercings should never be done with gold of any grade, as gold is mixed with other metals, and sterling silver is not a good alternative in a piercing of any age, as it may cause allergies in initial piercings and will tarnish in piercings of any age. An additional risk for allergic reaction may arise when the stud or clasp of jewelry is made from a different metal than the primary piece.

Here's something else from Wiki that you won't find out from a piercing shop unless you ask specifically. It's pretty gross actually but I just keep mine cleaned and don't take them out in public.

It is normal for a white or slightly yellow discharge to be noticeable on the jewelry, as the Sebaceous glands produce an oily substance meant to protect and moisturize the wound. While these sebum deposits may be expected for some time, only a small amount of pus, which is a sign of inflammation or infection, should be expected, and only within the initial phase. While sometimes difficult to distinguish, sebum is "more solid and cheeselike and has a distinctive rotten odor", according to The Piercing Bible.

Date: February 15, 2010 07:33PM

cool coco i will look into this smiling smiley the reason im assuming their infected as there is alot of redness, hotness and intense itching ...ive been wearing the same studs and hoops for ages and they have been fine so not really sure why all of a sudden im having infection/rejection smiling smiley

Date: February 15, 2010 07:46PM

yes, that sounds like an infection or an irritation at the very least. allergic reactions can occur at any time regardless of previous history. you may be becoming more and more sensitive the longer you are raw.
to be honest with you, this is one reason i stopped being 100%. I gave away all jewelry, belts with metal buckles, watches, etc. I was looking into replacing all food ware with hand made coconut shell alternatives, turning off all the lights and electronics, washing home and self with water only (preferable rain water), no makeup or essential oil fragrances, ceasing to craft with anything other than found natural objects... it was getting ridiculous! there is "too" natural i think.

Ok, make sure you understand that paragraph on sebum. when I take out my piercings or even touch them with my fingers the smell is overwhelmingly bad. "distinctly rotten" is not an exageration i'm afraid. a body piercing should be something that you are totally prepared to deal with because they STINK! so grody. daily cleaning is a good idea. i don't take them out every night because they can get tight if you forget to put them back in every day but i could and i probably Should, that might keep them cleaner. if you decide to take them out nightly to avoid the stinky build up, leave them in all the time for at least 6 months first to ensure proper and total healing. and be careful stretching, use a spiral made of something inert, some resins are ok but highly polished wood (not with an application of anything, polished by hand) might be ok.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables