Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

which seaweeds
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 18, 2010 05:02PM

I have eaten a few seaweeds with varying degrees of wrinkled nose?

Can you suggest a mild seaweed to get me started. Any UK brands would be helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which seaweeds
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 18, 2010 05:05PM

Hey Flipper, i dont know if there raw the nori sheets are said to be.

the brand i use is clearspring. I use dulse(very nice most palatable as it just dissolves in your mouth), nori sheets for making raw mock sushi with just vegetables, wakame which is less palatable but very rich in magnesium.

seaweeds are very important for the iodine which is hard to get elsewhere in sufficient quantities, also rich in other minerals/trace elements, polysaccharides that boost immune system, have been proven anti-cancer, aswell as detoxing heavy metals. The fibre helps feed your good flora acting as a prebiotic, the b vitamins help strengthen your nervous system.

ran out of air lol ill prob edit the post with more, as you can see i love seaweed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 05:06PM by powerlifer.

Date: February 18, 2010 05:19PM

Thanks - I've been aware for ages that it would be beneficial for me to eat seaweed. Your enthusiasm might be the shove I need. Keep going smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 19, 2010 12:59AM

It's funny you should ask because I just went to a huge Asian supermarket last week and they had aisles of seaweed! I bought a ginormous bag of wakame, which I had never tried before. I ate it straight from the package as a snack, and then the next day I made a salad with it and chopped cabbage and cuke. I don't know specific brands in the UK but in the USA I buy Maine Coast brand at the health store. But this Korean brand was way cheaper. If you have an Asian enclave in your area, you may find some good deals on seaweed. Just make sure that it's really raw because I noticed that many of the Asian brands were toasted. I second the nori suggestion. It seems to be rather mild, also I do like dulse.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 19, 2010 01:14AM

flipperjan

holland & barrett sell a few types of seaweed now, eg dulse (which is lovely) wakame (my personal fave) and nori sheets (check they're not the toasted ones) (even the untoasted are not strictly raw, but pretty close).

i would imagine independant health food shops sell them too, it's getting so popular nowadays.

Also www.funkyraw.com sells Sea Spaghetti, big huge bags of it smiling smiley prob not as nice tasting as dulse but it looks really really like spaghetti! x

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: February 19, 2010 02:51AM

glasgow raw yoga i can only think your close to me in dundee haha small world.

asian markets and food stores are best as they dont mark up the goods like stores such as holland and barrett do. If your there and they have jiaogulan tea pick it up even ask them it will be marked in an asian name which i can give if needed. Great herb.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 19, 2010 11:54AM

cool powerlifer! there's a good little scene happening around the glasgow area at the mo, you should come to a potluck if you're ever around smiling smiley xx

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: February 19, 2010 12:11PM

Jeez - you two are lucky. Asian store ????? in Devon????? dream on. The closest thing is the farmers markets that happen once a month and sell lots of swedes smiling smiley

There aren't even any fresh fruit and veg shops - Waitrose has to do !!!

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: February 19, 2010 12:25PM

The mildest seaweeds are arame and hiziki.

Date: February 19, 2010 01:50PM

up here is even worse flipper, we dont even get a farmers market i dont think.

which makes juicing annoying for me as i only like using organic produce.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 19, 2010 02:25PM

I've tried all the Seaweeds. The best ones to eat Raw, or have
in Green Smoothies, are (1) Sea Lettuce (2) Sea Palm (3) Silky Sea Palm
and (4) Dulse. All the others are too tough and rubbery for digestion.
That's why so many of them have to be cooked in order to be edible....WY

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 19, 2010 05:42PM

I add dulse flakes to all of my smoothies. And use raw nori in my vegi-sushi. I've also used wakame in salads as well as kelp noodles (Sea Tangles) and my first order of Sea Spaghetti is coming this week from Sirova.com, the main distributor in the US. I also use Arame from Whole Paycheck, whoops I mean Whole Foods. Though that is going to stop. Their pricing policy is outrageous.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables