Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Oral Allergy Syndrome and a Raw diet
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2010 02:54PM

Over the past two or so years, I have started to notice I am having symptoms that sound like Oral Allergy Syndrome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oral allergy syndrome or OAS is a type of food allergy typified by a cluster of allergic reactions in the mouth in response to eating certain (usually fresh) fruits, nuts, and vegetables that typically develops in adult hay fever sufferers.[1] Another term used for this syndrome is '"Pollen-Food Allergy."' In adults up to 60% of all food allergic reactions are due to cross-reactions between foods and inhalative allergens.[2]

However, unlike other food allergies, in oral allergy syndrome, the reaction is limited to the mouth, lips, tongue and throat. "

[en.wikipedia.org]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested getting into more of a raw/living food diet, but I am not sure how my body will handle it with this allergy. Does anyone else out there experience the same symptons?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oral Allergy Syndrome and a Raw diet
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 25, 2010 03:46PM

It is curious that in none of the studies listed was the nature of the isolated food antigens described, i.e. naturally hybridized, GMO, etc. I personally believe, based on what I have read, that the majority of "pollen" allergies aren't reactions to pollen per se, but to chemicals used in commercial agriculture/landscaping and to the aberrant biochemical makeup of plants treated this way over successive generations. Thus, an antibody response to an apple of unknown origin which mimics the antibody response to ragweed could possibly not be an actual antibody response to either "apple" or "ragweed." So the correlation isn't convincing to me.

Do you have conclusively diagnosed allergies to ragweed, birch pollen, or other plants? Are you eating everything organic? I notice that when I eat a conventional banana I feel a tingly sensation in my mouth, but an organic banana from a shop that sells only organic produce, not so. Curiously, when I consume a banana from a stand that also contains conventional bananas, the same adverse response occurs even though the banana consumed is itself organic. Scary.

Date: February 26, 2010 02:18PM

I usually go all organic. I have noticed this allergy with conventional and organic foods. As far as bananas go, I have never had a problem with them, organic or conventional. Yesterday I had some organic celery which have me a mild tingling. Apples and Berries are usually not a problem. Cherries and Lychee always are.

I have never seen an allergist so nothing is fully diagnosed. I am also allergic to rabbits and cats.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 26, 2010 02:56PM

ascorbic,

Well, maybe go to an allergist to see if you have an Ig response to the things that make you tingly, just to be sure; I probably would. Your body is trying to tell you something.

It just occurred to me that I'd do some sort of cleanse to make sure my immune system weren't misfiring because of a latent infection. Good luck : )

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 26, 2010 05:38PM

Ascorbic,

I had severe allergies before coming to the raw diet and lifestyle. I was extremely allergic to cats, as well has have intense hay fever. But after a year or two on the all raw lifestyle, these allergies went away for me.

There have been people on the raw diet who were allergic to raw fruits when they first started, but as they healed themselves, these food allergies disappeared.

Date: February 27, 2010 02:27PM

Thanks for the responses. I contacted an allergist but they didn't want to give me any information about how they do testing or what a typical treatment is without coming in first. If they can't tell me "we draw blood" or "we swab your arm with a bunch of things" before they see me then I really am not interested, something seems wrong.

Prana: Were any of your allergies food related? I am wondering how I should handle foods that I seem to be allergic to. Should I avoid them, or slowly introduce them into my diet?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 27, 2010 02:51PM

I had food allergy to some raw fruits, some cheeses, and cinnamon before I changed to a completely raw diet. The allergic reaction would be that the ridges on the roof of my mouth would immediately get swollen, red and very tender. It could last for one to three days. The worst reaction was to a vegetarian Greek dish from a restaurant when the top layer of skin on the roof of my mouth actually peeled off! (I suspect that cheese was the culprit there.) Soon after changing to an almost completely raw diet, I quit having any allergic reactions to food. What a relief!!!

With things going so well, I tried kiwifruit, which had been off limits, and found I had no problem. Raw pineapple had been one of my real triggers, so I tried a small piece of it too and didn't have a reaction to it either. I was afraid to try more pineapple because of past experiences, but maybe I'll be brave enough to have a whole serving next time.

My favorite raw vegan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables