Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dragon fruit
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 06, 2010 01:29PM

I bought a dragon fruit today - they are rarely available and always very expensive. I don't know if there are different kinds - this one was a pretty dark pink/red colour and inside had a firm white flesh liberally scattered with tiny black seeds. It was very easy to carve out spponfuls and the flesh came away very cleanly from the side.

The down side was that it didn't really live up to all that promise. Not sweet at all and not a very interesting or even particularly nice flavour. I have eaten half of it and am now looking at the other half wondering if I want to eat it.

Is this a case of a fruit being picked un ripe and flown round the world and just not as good as it would have been in it's home country? I did expereince this with rambutans once - gorgeous in Java but lifeless and tasteless in UK.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dragon fruit
Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: March 06, 2010 02:12PM

I bought one once - It cost a pretty penny, closer to three hundred pennies. Mine was white inside - I've seen them dark pink inside as well. I wasn't impressed. Didn't really taste like anything. I would imagine they would taste better picked ripe and enjoyed locally - wherever that is. For now, I'll save my pennies.

I'd throw the other half in a smoothie.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 06, 2010 03:09PM

That's how they taste. All surface level glamour with no real character to back it up. Kinda like a hollywood actress grinning smiley.

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: March 06, 2010 06:38PM

LOL!

Date: March 06, 2010 10:29PM

I love dragon fruit! I admit the taste isn't quite exotic mangosteen deliciousness, but they still have a lovely, fresh slightly fragrant taste.

I've had the white flesh and the purple flesh varieties, couldn't notice a difference though I think I do prefer the white flesh for some unknown reason. The purple flesh one was more expensive despite being smaller- about £2.49 or £2.99. Ouch. I think the label in the shop said 'Dragon Egg'. Presumably to sucker people like me grinning smiley

I think I put one in a smoothie once and regretted it- the tiny seeds ground up were like glass on my tongue. I find I get the 'seed burn' more from kiwi fruits than dragon fruits, which is another reason for me to prefer the latter smiling smiley

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: March 07, 2010 02:15AM

Dragon fruit is just a cacti fruit. If you ever get cacti fruit from a cactus that has been ripened naturally, it is quite refreshing and light.

I tasted some prickly pear fruit from a local OH store and it was totally disappointing compared to the cacti fruit I picked in AZ.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 07, 2010 04:57AM

I feel so bad that anyone had a disappointing experience with dragon fruit. Every dragon fruit I have had tasted really sweet, juicy and refreshing. Kind of reminded me of a really good sorbet, but natural and warm. I have had red ones, white ones, never any disappointing ones.

I have eaten my share of prickly pears. Most of the time those have been great, but on a few occasions they have been tasteless. I think the golden ones are the best, but I rarely see those.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 07, 2010 05:02AM

I would like to try a fruit from a saguaro cactus, and a cholla if possible. I have seen photos and they look like they would taste really good. I wouldn't be surprised if they tasted pretty much like other cactus fruit.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: March 07, 2010 07:48AM

I live in Thailand most of the year in July and August are when they are in season but they are sold year round here more pricier this time of year.

As for shape, color,smell and visual appearance they look like they would taste so sweet how nature can sometimes fool us.

I do buy a case or 2 every year I have to eat a good amount to get full not as sweet as mangoes,longan, and bananas or jacky but better then rose apples.

The ones that are red inside tend to be sweeter.

Cherimoya,

Loce Peace and Happiness,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables