Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How many nuts/seeds is too much?
Posted by: Maritza ()
Date: March 12, 2010 03:40PM

I find myself snacking on nuts and seeds all day. How much is too much?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many nuts/seeds is too much?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 12, 2010 04:04PM

Most authorities recommend no more than one to two ounces per day of nuts and seeds. An ounce is about the amount of walnuts you would hold in a cupped hand. And that amount is generally around 200 calories. Thing is because we use nuts and seeds in milks, butters, crackers, salad dressing etc, the limit has to be evaluated looking at all nut intake, not just loose nuts. I have a bag of trail mix at home that includes raisins, dried carrots, chopped nuts, etc. It's roughly 1/3 nuts or seeds and 2/3 dried vegetables & fruit. So, I count 1/3 of the weight against my 2 oz. limit, like wise with salad dressings, nut milks, etc. If I go a little over one day, I make up for it by eating a little less the next.

Paul

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 12, 2010 06:07PM

For me, too much nuts/seeds is whatever amount doesn't feel good.

Some days, that would be different from other days. The more exercise I get, the more nuts/seeds are fine, and my body is happy to have them. Usually, that adds up to a couple of handfuls (or one handful and avocado). It can be less or it can be more.

With practice, and with staying raw (if possible),it becomes easier to judge what will feel good.

As pborst has pointed out, there are many raw foods that contain nut stuff. Whatever works for each person is fine. For me, I try to avoid nut milks and nut butters completely. Nuts butters are a whole food, but some effect on nutrients is possible due to oxidation. If nutrients are damaged, the body may demand more than is actually needed.

Most people seem to have found that eating lots of raw foods besides nuts/seeds is important for keeping the need for nuts/seeds to a healthy low.

Posted by: Maritza ()
Date: March 14, 2010 11:28PM

oh wow... well I definitely went over that these past few days. I guess thought our allotment would be more than that on a raw food diet.
Well good to know. thanks for the info.

What's a good book to get for a beginner raw foodist... that would discuss what to eat?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 15, 2010 01:08AM

You might want to see what your fat percentage is with a nutritional calculator like fitday, nutritiondata, nutridiary, or Cron-o-Meter.

A 30% fat intake is high, 20% is moderate, and 10% and less is low fat.

If you are used to eating a high fat diet, it make take some time to get your fat intake to a moderate or low level.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables