Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

vitamin d deficiency
Posted by: lunachica ()
Date: March 16, 2010 04:09AM

Hi all
Just found out i have a vit. d deficiency. I don't really want to take a supplement but........I live in upstate ny in an area that probably gets less sun than seattle, so sun as a source is not an option. I bought a bunch of shitake mushrooms but don't think that's going to cut it as my levels are very low. Dr.suggested 8000iu a day. And yes, ideally I would love to solve the problem by living in the tropics, but that is also not an option right now.

Anyone have a suggestion for a supplement? I found a tablet as opposed to the non-vegan gel caps but i don't think the quality is very good. I was just anxious to get started on something soon as i have been having some symptoms that i think may be related to the deficiency. The bottle doesn't indicate if it is d2 or d3. I'm guessing d2? Is d3 only from an animal source?
Thanks in advance.
M

www.turquoisebarn.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: vitamin d deficiency
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 16, 2010 10:06AM

Hey i would just say bite the bullet and supplement, you dont want to do yourself damage over pride.

Could be your having coversion issues but probably not if you lead a healthy lifestyle.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: March 16, 2010 10:22AM

My recent bloodtest said I had a value of 27 with the 25(OH)-D test and according to my doctor the good values are between are between 25-100, but according to Dr. Mercola the "healthy value" are between 55-65 so I'm eating 3000ui in the morning and 2000ui at the evening every day. I'm taking D3, without wanting to know if it's from animals, more concerned about my health.

What test did you take? The other test are called 1,25(OH)-D that's not recommended if looking for signs of health.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 16, 2010 11:41AM

lunachica,

Here's a comprehensive article on Vit D from Mercola; note the test he recommends:

[articles.mercola.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 17, 2010 02:34AM

I did read somewhere that setting white button mushrooms in the sun before eating them creates an abundance of vit D.

Posted by: lunachica ()
Date: March 18, 2010 02:54AM

Thanks everyone for the all the info.
Test was a Vit D 25-hydroxy - is that the right test? My levels were 19 - very low as the range is 32-100.

I did start taking a tablet which was really inexpensive and is just labeled Vit D Cholecalciferol (not D3), it was all i could find besides the d3 w/gelatin and a bunch of other stuff in it. I decided to try this until I can find a better source. I have to say, i've been taking 8000iu a day as recommended by my dr for the past 3 days and I already notice a pretty big difference in how i'm feeling. Much clearer, less edgy, more calm.
I think i'll look for a better source and continue to take until summer and I'll continue working on my plan to escape the winters and bask in the sun in a tropical paradise.

Would still like suggestions if anyone has on brands and what has or has not worked.
Thanks again.

www.turquoisebarn.com

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 18, 2010 03:10AM

Lunachica,
Some people get their vitamin D from special ultraviolet lights. I think you might have to wear special protective gear for your eyes. There are different types of light, and different forms of UV. The effective production of the appropriate uv light also diminishes over time, so even if the light is still 'working' it might not be producing what you need. But it is an option to research.

I was reading about vitamin D and lizards, one type apparently produces vitamin D better than it takes up in supplements. I don't know if humans need the same type of uv light as lizards. Its interesting.
[exoticpets.about.com]

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: March 18, 2010 10:58AM

Wow, your doctors "healthy" range was between 32-100? haha, here in Sweden we got between 25-100 so if you lived here, you wouldn't be recommended any d-vitamin.

I even told my doctor that I wanted to have higher levels but she insisted on "that's unnecessary".

I too feel a bit better, my chrons have been calmer since I started with 5000iu. Great too hear!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 18, 2010 02:09PM

lunachica,

Vitamin D3 is cholecalciferol. You had the more precise test--25 hydroxyvitamin D. If you are feeling better, that's good, but be sure your doctor monitors your levels every so often to see when you've reached optimum ones.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 13, 2010 03:39AM

As far as I know, absolutely the best source of Vitamin D is = sunlight. We should all be exposed to the sunlight at least an hour or two a day. That does not mean, of course, to stay outside at noon at 100F or 40C, it means walking in the morning, doing the garden etc. This is the best Vitamin D one can get.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 13, 2010 07:02AM

but hardly helpful if you cannot get it!!!

I have heard that D3 is a better source than D2 - I know it's not vegan. That we cannot use D2 but it sounds as if what you are taking is working.

Out of interest where you having symptoms of deficiency and if so what were they - or did you just suspect it and get the test?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables