Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw olive oil ?- Your thouhgts please
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 30, 2010 03:02AM

Hi, I have been buying raw unprocessed cold pressed olive oil. Right? Now I go on a raw food web site and he's saying unless it is Stone Pressed it is no better than convential oi because it is being heated through the powerful press that crushes it and the temperature is pressed beyond 114 degree or whatever that number is.

Here's the thing: I am poor finacicially speaking and buying the cold pressed extra virgin was buring a whole in my pocket. But, hey, I felt good about it so I did it. Now I am hearing all along I was simply buying processed oil and not the real deal.

For all you regular down to earth folks: It seems like you can go nuts with all this mixed data. (gereally I research and then make my final decsion on what is best for my mind, body and spirit)

In your thoughts is first cold pressed extra virgin worth getting or am I better going to walmart and buying extra virgin olive oil and saving a money? I would like to hear your thoughts so I can take those thoughts into consideration before making my decision.

Thanks guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw olive oil ?- Your thouhgts please
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 30, 2010 03:05AM

Since I try to keep my fats to under 10% of my daily caloric intake, I just avoid olive oil altogether and get my fats from nuts, seeds, and whatever is in fresh, raw fruits and veges.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 30, 2010 11:50AM

saer1212 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> In your thoughts is first cold pressed extra
> virgin worth getting or am I better going to
> walmart and buying extra virgin olive oil and
> saving a money? I would like to hear your thoughts
> so I can take those thoughts into consideration
> before making my decision.
>

Hi saer,
First, olive oil labeling terms such as "extra virgin" and "virgin" are regulated in some countries, but not all and not in the US, i.e. California olive oil.

Second, the IOOC is the major regulating body, so maybe check for "IOOC member" on the label?

Even if an IOOC member, the term "cold pressed" is not defined though there's no reason to press quality olive oil at temperatures over 35c (95F). [en.wikipedia.org]

"Virgin" olive oil from an IOOC member should be very good quality, in my opinion, though a little research on the company might be in order. I usually go for "extra virgin" and taste as a very occasional treat.

Date: March 30, 2010 03:07PM

loeve Wrote:
>
> Even if an IOOC member, the term "cold pressed" is
> not defined...

..ah, correction, if you reside in a European Union member country then "first cold pressed" is indeed a regulated olive oil term --

"Article 5

"Among the optional indications which may appear on the labelling of oil as referred to in Article 1(1), those laid down in this Article shall comply with the following respective requirements:

"(a) the indication "first cold pressing" may appear only for virgin or extra virgin olive oils obtained at a temperature below 27 °C from a first mechanical pressing of the olive paste by a traditional extraction system using hydraulic presses;

"(b) the indication "cold extraction" may appear only for virgin or extra virgin olive oils obtained at a temperature below 27 °C by percolation or centrifugation of the olive paste..." [eur-lex.europa.eu]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 30, 2010 03:51PM

Agree with loeve. Good luck.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 30, 2010 06:59PM

@Saer1212: If you are unsure about the "rawness" of the oil, I still wouldn't go the other direction and get it from Walmart! I don't trust some of these places for olive oil or maple syrup (a non-raw sweetner, I know). In the case of the latter, I bought some syrup that was suppposed to be 100% pure and it seemed watered down. I heard that was a trick used to cheat people out of the real stuff. I also had the same thing happen with olive oil when I bought it from a regular supermarket. It seemed mixed with another, cheaper oil. I used to get the organic Whole Foods brand olive oil, but when prices started rising I now use the Trader Joe's extra virgin olive oil and have been happy with it. It's very green when you pour it and I think it's of good quality. Whether it's really pressed under 114 degrees, life is too short for me to obsess upon. If you are really a stickler about this sort of thing, perhaps you should just make dressing with avocado as your raw fatsmiling smiley

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: April 03, 2010 10:58AM

Trive, I'm interested in your experience. I use oils in salad dressings and such- mostly olive and flax- but I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off not, as they seem to bog me down, and oil isn't truly a "whole food," per se, is it? Perhaps it's better to get my fats from avacadoes and olives and some nuts/seeds.

I suppose you've found success in this avoidance of oils, huh?

I do find that lower-fat in general is better, however, my body absolutely *loves* avacadoes and almonds and sometimes hemp seeds or walnuts or such.

Date: April 03, 2010 11:41PM

saer1212 Wrote:
>
> In your thoughts is first cold pressed extra
> virgin worth getting or am I better going to
> walmart and buying extra virgin olive oil and
> saving a money? ...

We're talking the US right? Wal-Mart stores are not bound to IOOC (International Olive Oil Council) labeling standards, so "first cold pressed" and "extra virgin" mean little there as well. I was looking through the market today at about a dozen "extra virgin" brands, none bearing a compelling case that they were truely so. The closest was one with a NAOOA (North American Olive Oil Association) certification indicating it might be up to IOOC standards. They say IOOC olive oils can't compete in the US because of such loose labeling standards. A few states (CA, NY, CT, OR) have better labeling laws which might be worth checking. California requires extra virgin olive oil not be processed with "extreme" heat but must meet an IOOC type taste standard.. little comfort there.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 03, 2010 11:47PM

Hi, omega-3,

When I eat high amounts of fat I get acid reflux symptoms. When I limit my fat intake, I don't have those symptoms. For me it's a "no-brainer" to keep my fat intake low. In a way I am glad to have those physical symptoms because they keep me eating the healthiest way I know to eat. smiling smiley

It's not that I have eliminated all fat. No way! I am just selective. I love avocados, nuts and seeds too and I eat them regularly. My reasoning about not using olive oil is that I don't want to use up my fat calories in olive oil when I can be satisfied with other ingredients in salad dressings instead. In that way I am able to have the avocado, nuts or seeds I want. Sometimes I put some tahini or avocado in a salad dressing if I want fat to make it creamy. However, more often I blend a tomato or fruit to smithereens to make a vinaigrette thicker. (Yes, I do still use a bit of apple cider vinegar, but I am using less of that now too by adding some lemon juice or orange juice in its place.)

My favorite raw vegan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables