Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Toxic flame retardants
Posted by: brome ()
Date: April 09, 2010 06:13PM

PBDEs, or polybrominated diphenyl ethers, are industrial toxic chemicals, used for more than 30 years, to retard flame in consumer electronic plastics, furniture, and mattresses.

During a recent expedition, Jean-Michel Cousteau and his Ocean Futures Society team discovered an alarming fact: many populations of killer whales are contaminated with toxic, synthetic chemicals known as PBDEs, or flame retardants.

These flame retardants are in use because the State of California requires that some products be flame resistant, for example, furniture and many children's products. It is now known that these chemicals leak into the environment through the air, are carried by dust and water and enter the food chain. Like their banned relatives, the PCBs, flame retardants persist in the environment, concentrate over time, are toxic, with likely adverse effects on both orcas and humans, and are now found globally. Their presence in the environment is doubling every five years.

The science is clear that these chemicals represent enormous potential harm to the development of both animals and children. We cannot wait to act.

Jean-Michel Cousteau and his team are joining forces with decision-makers in government and industry to address the public's demand for protection. It's time to find ways to prevent such chemicals from entering the environment in the first place, to find alternatives, and to anticipate problems before they occur. We cannot wait to find a cure for dangerous products after they are in the environment and in us.

California is the worst but they are used in most of the other states too. They retard not only fire but also a child's physical and mental development.

[www.toxicflameretardants.org]

[pollutioninpeople.org]

[www.ewg.org]

[www.sciencedaily.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2010 06:17PM by brome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Toxic flame retardants
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 11, 2010 09:41AM

Much, if not all, of this toxin seems needless. In the case of upholstery even flammable materials can be used as filler as long as they are encased in a flame resistant fabric, polyester, for one, from this company satisfying California code --

[www.fabricdirect.com]

That might cover mattresses, pillows and children's stuffed toys as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2010 09:46AM by loeve.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: April 11, 2010 03:20PM

I knew about children's PJs having fire retardant and I've avoided that. The treated PJs always seems so rough and uncomfortable anyway, but I didn't know about the couches and the other things. Thanks for the info!

Wiki has a list of fire retardant fabrics:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Time to get a new couch! And I'm glad I've always covered my couches with blankets.
[www.ewg.org]
"Foam products made before 2005 are more likely to contain PBDEs. The type of PBDEs used in foam products has not been manufactured in the U.S. since 2004 and cannot be imported for use in the U.S. (through a loophole, imported foam products may still contain PBDEs since continue to be manufactured and used in other countries). Fire-retardant pajamas are not treated with PBDEs."

"Chemicals used in sleepwear labeled "fire resistant" will remain in the fabric for at least 50 washes."

So if the chemicals come out during the wash I bet they get on the other clothes in the washer too!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 11, 2010 07:20PM

I understand some children's products need to be flame retardant but am not seeing PBDEs in them thus far, which is good news if true. Of course children would be exposed to PBDEs in certain foam filled furnishings and any PBDE treated drapes or upholstery backings --

"What are PBDEs used for?

"These chemicals are major components of commercial formulations often used as flame retardants in furniture foam (pentaBDE), plastics for TV cabinets, consumer electronics, wire insulation, back coatings for draperies and upholstery (decaBDE), and plastics for personal computers and small appliances (octaBDE)." [www.epa.gov]

It's good PBDEs are getting regulated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2010 07:29PM by loeve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables