Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Would someone who is high raw (at least 70% raw) or 100% raw be so kind
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 17, 2010 09:24PM

as to list everything they ate yesterday? I would like to get some idea what kinds of things people eat during an average day if they are raw. Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would someone who is high raw (at least 70% raw) or 100% raw be so kind
Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: April 17, 2010 09:56PM

Yesterday I had:

12 oranges - some blended with raspberries (1 cup raspberries)
12 bananas
1 large head of romaine

Date: April 17, 2010 10:16PM

klandestine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yesterday I had:
>
> 12 oranges - some blended with raspberries (1 cup
> raspberries)
> 12 bananas
> 1 large head of romaine

LOL! Uh oh...I feel like such a glutton. Thank you for sharing; is this what you usually eat? I am trying to gauge what is a reasonable amount of food for beginning a raw diet. When you started, did you eat more fat and protein?

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:43PM

2 lb raw carrots
1 small raw potato
1/2 mature coconut w/ its water
2 oz chives
4 pineapple crown leaves - (not sure these are edible winking smiley
1 lb raw chick pea sprouts
1 tsp sea salt
1 lb peanuts
coffee

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: April 18, 2010 12:02AM

banana who Wrote:

> LOL! Uh oh...I feel like such a glutton. Thank you
> for sharing; is this what you usually eat? I am
> trying to gauge what is a reasonable amount of
> food for beginning a raw diet. When you started,
> did you eat more fat and protein?

Over the past couple of years I have simplified my diet, mostly because I am lazy smiling smiley. I usually eat close to that these days - the fruits change with the seasons. I used to eat more salads - with added nuts or seeds almost every day. Now, say for example, hemp seeds appeal to me, I'll have some. My diet transition has been four or so years in the making. I usually do not go more than ten days or so before I feel like having some fat of some kind. My protein intake seems sufficient as I am able to build muscle. I try to get a minimum of 2000 calories a day. Some days I have closer to 3000.

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: April 18, 2010 12:18AM

Japanese green tea

Green/fruit smoothie: big handfuls of greens(spinach/dandelion/romaine); small apple, banana, cup or so of berries, rice protein, hemp protein, maca, spirulina, organic cocoa powder, mung bean sprouts, chia seed, flax seed.

Apple with handful of hemp seeds

Large carrot, steamed brussel sprouts, a bit of miso and raw sauerkraut

Prunes (5 or 6)

(Okay, a glass of wine)

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: April 18, 2010 12:51AM

Hi banana who

Today

1 pineapple, 14 straw berries, 1 mango, 3 bananas 1 kiwi juice of 2 oranges (in a smoothie). It filled the vitamix jug. I shared it with my daughter.

3 oranges

About 10 soaked almonds with a sprouted seed mixture on an avocado with pesto. Green salad.

Yesterday.
2 pints green based juice.
1 pineapple.
6 strawberries.
black grapes
Green smoothie (spinach, banana, pineapple fresh orange juice) X 2

Im on holiday at the moment, so I tend to graze. I don't normally eat sprouts these days. I grow them for my family, so i always have some around if i need to add 'crunch'
When im working, I tend to eat more simply. I make a huge fruit smoothie for breakfast and take the remainder to work in flasks with whole fruit to supplement. I try to mono eat twice a week. (Usually pineapple, banana or oranges)

When I started, I ate lots of dehydrated foods. I missed cooking, so all preparation attached to 'uncooking' filled a gap for a while. I didn't do well combining so many ingredients. I became constipated and dehydrated, so I moved towards sprouts and greens. I did better but it didn't really suit me, so introduced more fruit.
I started raw 2004. I have bouts of totally raw and high raw. I had two brief returns to cooked since i started raw and became ill both times so returned to raw. I have a raw vegan dog that was very sick as a puppy on conventional food. She healed through eating raw and is now 18 months old and full of bounce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2010 12:53AM by The Fruit Faery.

Date: April 18, 2010 07:05PM

@FruitFaery: What kinds of fruit or other raw stuff do you give the dog? And do you visit the vet? I am thinking of getting pets but don't want to feed them standard dog/cat chow. I see so many poor doggies going @#$%& and they are really straining--it's obvious that they are constipated!

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 18, 2010 08:52PM

If I have cooked food on a day, it may look like this

1 apple
3 cups grapes
5 pears
8 bananas
2 oranges

1 celery and half a bunch of parsley made into juice
1/2 head of lettuce
1/2 an avacado

cooked dish with raw nuts
1.5 cups peas
2 large carrots
1 cup broccoli
1 0z walnuts
1 brazil nut

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 18, 2010 09:04PM

green juice for breakfast-
4 stalks romaine lettuce
4 stalks celery
1 lg handful parsley
1 cucumber
3 carrots

smoothie for snack-
soaked almonds/strained for almond milk
frozen blueberries
frozen blackberries
1 tsp spirulina
raw cacao nibs (sometimes)
drop of vanilla

lunch-
usually fruit w/ either nut butter or
cooked rice pancakes (from soaked brown rice ground in blender)
rolled w/ raw hummus and other veggies (raw peppers, cucumbers, carrots, etc)

dinner-
green juice again
4 stalks romaine
4 stalks celery
2 beets
1-2 handfuls parsley
1 cucumber

dates and almonds for dessert (sometimes ground into 'blondie')
or other raw dessert

peace-

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: April 18, 2010 10:13PM

Yesterday I had:

-several bananas

-a couple of tangelos and a tangerine

-an avocado chopped up with a couple of cucumbers, mixed with "cherry bomb" hot peppers and lime juice

-a couple of brazil nuts

-several dried figs

-a tomato

-handful of surinam cherries

-1/4 brown sesame seeds mixed with 1/4 cup sunflower seeds

-a hibiscus flower

Date: April 19, 2010 02:26AM

Thanks everyone for participating! One thing I am noticing is that your diets appear to be very simple. I don't see the elaborate dehydrated items. I haven't even see those flax crackers or anything. It also seems like most of you are on rather low-calorie diets. I mean, based on 2000 cals...

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: April 19, 2010 05:00PM

About low-calorie diets, you'd probably be interested in what Gabriel Cousens says about it in his book Conscious Eating:
[books.google.com]

- the ideal amount of calories is 1,500 (p 419)
- a Journal recommended that 2.5% of our calories should come from protein (p 312)
- we need less food to get the same amount of nutrition and 1,000 calories may be overeating on a raw diet when "ones basement membranes are cean" (p 496)

The ideal raw diet IMHO (after spending years agonizing over the order to eat foods in) would be

LEMON JUICE first thing in the morning. Lemon juice is known to wake up the digestive system. It also disolves bad stuff so I want it circulating through my system on it's own, so it's most concentrated, rather than diluting it by eating it with other foods (I do take it with water in a "lemonade" ). If it's watermelon season, I probably would skip this and eat watermelon.

FRUIT until noon. Fruit is pre-digested by the ripening process so it doesn't need heavy digestion and during the morning the body is "detoxing" instead of making the digestive juices.

GUACOMOLE run through the food processor with greens, celery and beets for lunch. I think it makes sense to eat greens at noon when the sun is high because then the greens leaves would have been in sunlight for a few hours and have maximum nutrition. (This would be ideal conditions in the wild and not supermarket conditions)

At this point I've usually gone to eating cooked foods but now I'm working on changing the afternoon to raw and so I'm still experimenting with what should be eaten in the afternoon. I've noticed that fruitarians tend to eat dates in the afternoon so I've been experimenting with eating date/coconut/lemon/pineapple cookies. It takes about an hour to make this in the food processor (pulsing it a few times during that hour, not running it constantly) because the dates and coconut flakes have to absorb the lemon juice so they get soft and sticky.

The other reason I'm experiementing with these cookies is that they are filling and I want to do the Tanya Zavasta thing of not eating supper. To train myself to do that I'm going to do Psylium shakes in the evening, both to fill me up and get some cleansing done as well. I am going to make it nice by eating the shakes with warm water and with date syrup. When you make it like that you can almost trick yourself into thinking that it's hot oatmeal!

It took me 2 years to make breakfast a habit, 2 years to make lunch a habit, so I expect it will take 2 years to change supper. I'm going to be so clean with all those psyllium shakes by that time :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 05:14PM by tropical.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 19, 2010 07:16PM

Lately, I cheat with a little honey smiling smiley I grind sesame seed and add honey to it. It is great smiling smiley

But, I try to avoid honey, as those carbohydrates are very similar to sugar, they say.
I also added dandelions (flowers, simplest to pick) - I just eat them of the ground (please don't laugh) smiling smiley))

Bananas are my base, but my number one fruit is grapes. I come from a grape valley, and probably my body is used to them, so I could eat them endlessly. I could really live on grapes only, that is how I feel.

Not all the greens agree with me that well, so I downgraded them a little, in favour of carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers and other colorful veggies. I just add a little of stronger greens, but I am beginning to believe that we should just eat what we can digest well.

Date: April 19, 2010 11:52PM

@Rab: That is a great idea about the sesame seeds + honey! As Rachel Ray would say: YUMMO! Do you use unhulled ones? I didn't have good results with my tahini attempt but if I just processed the seeds and pressed them with honey (or raw dates), it would be an awesome treat! I have this organic, really raw honey (it's solid, which apparently is the only true raw honey) and it would be great to mix it with the seeds instead of the runny stuff making a mess. Oh, wow..what about dried organic coconut shreds?

Date: April 19, 2010 11:55PM

banana who Wrote:
> @FruitFaery: What kinds of fruit or other raw
> stuff do you give the dog? And do you visit the
> vet? I am thinking of getting pets but don't want
> to feed them standard dog/cat chow. I see so many
> poor doggies going @#$%& and they are really
> straining--it's obvious that they are constipated!

banana who
I Keep 2 dogs. One is 11 years old and has been fed on standard and a raw meat diet.
The reason i switched the staffie puppy to raw was out of desperation.The puppy kept vomiting,was loosing serious weight and the vet didnt appear to have any answers. We tried several foods then took a leap of faith and started feeding her raw vegan. The staffie breed is generaly keen on food, so it wasnt a problem to get her to eat.
I wrote a thread about it in the pet section on this site. She kept the food down, started putting on weight and she is fine. She had a check up last month. The vet commented that she was a perfect breeding bitch.
She eats a lot of bananas, pears and apples.She loves strawberries. mango and pineapple. She shares a morning smoothie with us. Generally fruit during the day and a fat based meal in the evening.
She loves avos ( people say she should not have them as they are toxic to dogs, but she has eaten them regularly for over a year). She also likes nuts, carrot, cucumber lettuce and kiwi. She likes green smoothies but wont touch green juice.
She forages for wild fruit on walks.

The downside of keeping a RV dog is that she makes short work of the veggie patch!
Last year she munched the courgettes, beans and strawberries.

Date: April 19, 2010 11:59PM

Wow, that is really awesome! I never understood how it could possibly be toxic for dogs and cats to eat some produce. I was sitting in the park and a woman had her small dog and I threw it a piece of carrot. It ate it! Your dog seems like a real fructarian. I will have to look up what courgettes are...I have seen that word but we call it something else (kind of like eggplant-aubergine).

Date: April 20, 2010 12:18AM

banana who Wrote:
> Wow, that is really awesome! I never understood
> how it could possibly be toxic for dogs and cats
> to eat some produce. I was sitting in the park and
> a woman had her small dog and I threw it a piece
> of carrot. It ate it! Your dog seems like a real
> fructarian. I will have to look up what courgettes
> are...I have seen that word but we call it
> something else (kind of like eggplant-aubergine).

Courgettes are also called zucchini x

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:34AM

banana who - I wish sesame & honey was my idea, but it is a little older, about 3000 years approximately smiling smiley Egypt and Rome have notes about it, here it comes from Wikipedia:
"Open sesame," the famous phrase from the Arabian Nights, reflects the distinguishing feature of the sesame seed pod, which bursts open when it reaches maturity.

...and this one says it all:
"Women of ancient Babylon would eat halva, a mixture of honey and sesame seeds to prolong youth and beauty, while Roman soldiers ate the mixture for strength and energy."

I researched that this days, and I especially liked the last quote.

I have been searching for info on dates also (I mean date fruit, smiling smiley ) as they seem to be extremely healthy, but growing only in southern climates. I wander which is the closest fruit to dates regarding nutrition richness in a continental climate (if any)? Also, how is it to grow dates in a greenhouse, possible at all? Not that I have a greenhouse, but if I have a chance, I will make one.

(I always have more questions than answers, sorry).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables