Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Farberware/other bamboo cutting board pre-treated with chemicals?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 08, 2010 06:38PM

Does anyone know if the Bamboo or other hardwood boards are pre-treated with anything? We need to replace our large board & W-Mart has a Farberware Bamboo for a good price.

I looked over the 'net for info. & can't find anything about it. Nothing on their website. We were considering glass but decided that would be too hard on the knives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 06:39PM by juicerkatz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Farberware/other bamboo cutting board pre-treated with chemicals?
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: May 08, 2010 07:28PM

Some are pre-treated so they can go through the dishwasher.
[www.bamboochoppingboard.com]
"Some bamboo chopping board makers have some extra features you may want:

•Dishwasher proofing – an adhesive that can withstand high temperatures allowing for the board to be placed in a dishwasher (for 2 – 3 years on average)"

I don't have a cutting board I just use a dinner plate and then put it through the dishwasher for maximum cleaness. I guess that using a plate is like using a glass cutting board. I also like that the curved edges of the plate keep foods from falling off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 07:29PM by tropical.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 08, 2010 08:19PM

Here's a good place to learn more about bamboo cutting boards and to start some comparison shopping:

[www.pristineplanet.com]

Date: May 08, 2010 08:30PM

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I've been known to use a dinner plate as well! winking smiley Although, I don't care for the curved edge when trying to cut items on it...

Tam, that is a good site, I will have a look all through it when I get a chance.

The aforementioned Farberware cutting board does not mention "dishwasher safe" anywhere on the packaging, so I would *assume* that it MAY not be pretreated or have some type of adhesive used in the construction of it that would be toxic...

Date: May 08, 2010 11:09PM

Read through quite a few sites & still come away a bit unclear as to weather or not a particular board is "treated" or not. They only mention the ones that are dishwasher safe.

I also see a mention of using water based formaldehyde-free glue on some "green" boards...now that's a reassuring thought...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 11:13PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 09, 2010 02:40PM

I prefer a large milled piece of hardwood for a cutting board, no glues and supposedly the hardwood has antibacterial properties like garlic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables