Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

why green smoothies instead of green juices?
Posted by: violetrevo ()
Date: May 15, 2010 01:57AM

Hi, I'm wondering why so many advocate green smoothies vs juicing their greens. What is the benefit of this besides much more fiber?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why green smoothies instead of green juices?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 15, 2010 02:51AM

The fiber is the big benefit. Have you ever juiced? I feel so bad about having to throw all that pulp away but I don't yet have any recipes to use it and don't have a garden to compost.

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: May 15, 2010 02:52AM

masking the taste of strong flavored greens like kale with sweet fruit if you are comparing it with just straight juicing of greens. To be fair, people frequently add either apple or pear to the green juice for the same reason.

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: May 15, 2010 02:57AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The fiber is the big benefit. Have you ever
> juiced? I feel so bad about having to throw all
> that pulp away but I don't yet have any recipes to
> use it and don't have a garden to compost.

I put in my first batch of green pulp crackers. Will let you know how they turn out.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

I'm trying Kristen's recipe this time. Next time I will try Natasha's.

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: May 15, 2010 04:39AM

I advocate both. Mostly juice but it lacks fiber so the rest to be made up in smoothies and then some salads. There are salad items I would never put in juice or smoothies.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 15, 2010 11:03AM

the fibre is the main difference really. Must really try the pulp cracker type recipes at some point would be a good way not to waste when juicing.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 15, 2010 01:18PM

Fiber is one thing, helps the thing stick to yer bones. juice digests more quickly, leaving you hungry quicker. also, their is much more to fiber than we think. protein chains are fibrous as well!!!!! so when we juice we get most of the amino acids YES, which are the main building blocks, but we don't get all whole protein chains. those are mostly trapped in the fiber it seems. So I believe that by eating green smoothie you really are getting everything. though, man can live on juice alone, believe me!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: neurosport ()
Date: May 16, 2010 07:16AM

drinking juice is not natural.

ideally you should just chew your food for a really long time - the way cows do it.

but at that rate i don't know how long your teeth will last. a single high quality tooth restoration ( Gold or Ceramic ) costs $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the dentist, which makes any blender a bargain by comparison.

plus a blender takes seconds to do what takes a cow the entire day. hopefully you have better things to do than chew all day smiling smiley

and that's on top of the fact that a blender, unlike a juicer, wastes nothing and cleans up in seconds.

i still would like to get a juicer of course. with a blender most of the time you have to add water to the jar - i might as well be adding juice there.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 16, 2010 08:16AM

well i wouldnt exactly say its not natural .. some cultures masticate a substance in their mouth letting the juice dribble down the throat an then spit the fiber out smiling smiley that is kinda a primitive (natural) form of juicing. i saw this quite frequently when living in india people chewing on neem or betal smiling smiley sugar cane in the polynesias also comes to mind smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 08:21AM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables