Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Any guava eaters in the crowd?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 20, 2010 09:48PM

I have always loved guava nectar (so not raw, but anywho...). I bought some fresh guava the other day and it's quite aromatic. The sign said it was sweet but you know how signs go...Plus, I always figgered that guava was a bit on the sour side and that's why they always put tons of sugar in it. So this morning I ate a couple of guava by simply removing the peel and eating the flesh. I heard it's very high in C and it has so many seeds that it's gotta be high in calcium and other minerals, no? If you have any brilliant ideas on what raw stuff I can make (a raw nectar in particular), I'd be much obliged! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any guava eaters in the crowd?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 20, 2010 10:45PM

I've never seen any for sale in my area, but I am going to ask the health food market that I shop at about them the next time I am there. So was it a bit sour? It looks like a juicy fruit.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 20, 2010 11:39PM

No suggestions, except, the peel is good too. smiling smiley

Not sure how much available calcium is in guavas, since most of the seeds might go right through - unless ground or blended. Or do you chew the seeds thoroughly? They seem kind of hard for chewing. Usually, I just swallow most of them.

I love guavas.

Date: May 21, 2010 10:18PM

Well, I had a few this morning. Their seeds are very hard! I think you're right, Suncloud. They are probably not meant to be chewed. Juicerkatz, they do seem a bit on the sour side but mine were sort of sweet, as well. Not juicy, though. Very pulpy like a pear, but even more so. I found this Wiki entry pretty interesting. Apparently, several cultures sprinkle salt on guavas! Now that I think about it, my mother (from Puerto Rico) used to get this guava jelly that she would slice and serve it with a salty white cheese. It was an interesting combo...[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 22, 2010 11:25AM

banana who,

This sounds like membrillo, which is a thick, sliceable paste made with sweetened quince pulp and served with salty things in southern South America. Maybe they make it with guava in the Caribbean?

Date: May 22, 2010 04:09PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> banana who,
>
> This sounds like membrillo, which is a thick,
> sliceable paste made with sweetened quince pulp
> and served with salty things in southern South
> America. Maybe they make it with guava in the
> Caribbean?

That wouldn't surprise me although I don't believe it has anything mixed in with it. It's jelled, also, and not "paste." It's very sweet and somewhat sour. But the combo worked and it was interesting to read that other cultures actually sprinkle salt on fresh guava. My boyfriend told me that his dad would always sprinkle salt on grapefruit.

Posted by: jan ()
Date: May 23, 2010 12:26PM

I live in Hialeah, Florida, a very Latin/Cuban community, guava is pretty much a staple food here! I like to run it through my food processor add a bit of stevia and add it onto my flax seed crackers I make, or add it to raw oats.

www.myspace.com/greeneyedvegangirl
GO VEGAN!

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: May 24, 2010 04:30AM

I just had two yesterday the best way for me to eat them is to wait till they are soft an ripe as for making the guava nectar the previous post sounds good as any.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables