Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: goals - male physique
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 26, 2010 06:09PM

With Bruce Lee it depends on the pose too. Here he's in a natural stance and looks right for what he does, martial arts. Form follows function --

[www.completemartialarts.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2010 06:28PM

Mmm, Baryshnikov. Just look at those thighs...

Posted by: Sunberry ()
Date: May 26, 2010 06:30PM

Matt Monarch"s physique is beautiful IMO.

I am not big on muscled men though I love this pic of Arnold by Annie Liebovitz.

[lisawallerrogers.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Sunberry ()
Date: May 26, 2010 06:37PM

Michaelangelo visits the US.

[www.thedoctorweighsin.com]

Date: May 26, 2010 06:51PM

..haha, now David warrior eventually became David the king. King David had weaknesses, for Bathsheba and maybe others.

Date: May 26, 2010 07:06PM

What, did he EAT her? Sheesh.

Date: May 26, 2010 08:29PM

King David had an affair with Bathsheba impregnating her, arranged for her husband to be put into the line of enemy fire and then took the widow, Bathsheba as his wife. It was the moral low point of his life. He repented and became a great king but not without repercussions passed down through his heirs.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 26, 2010 09:43PM

i guess alot of the times bruce cut his bodyfat for the movies, photo shoots so that he looked as shredded as possible.

to those who like Matts physique how do you like bruce lees in comparison?

Date: May 26, 2010 10:12PM

Loeve, in that pic Sunberry posted it looks like David was the one impregnanted. And he got into the haagen daaz too!

I can't watch any youtube from this computer but in this picture Matt looks just fine
[vt-fiddle.com]
Bruce however... not so much. Too "shredded" as you say. What is the point, exactly?

Date: May 26, 2010 10:47PM

Matt Monarch looks great in his youtube videos as does Bruce Lee in his movies. The still shots are hit and miss, like anyone can have a bad shot taken.

By the way, I liked Arnold's shot on the horse too, liking to think his hand placement, one on the horse's mane and the other on its rump are in order to distribute his weight. Arnold is tall and weighs a ton when bulked up like in those pics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 10:54PM by loeve.

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: May 27, 2010 02:34AM

Lets hypothesize on what type of diet David would have to eat to maintain that physique.

Do you think its possible to have that physique and be raw? I would love to look like that!

I would think if David was raw, he would look more defined and cut.

Posted by: neurosport ()
Date: May 27, 2010 04:20AM

newhoove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lets hypothesize on what type of diet David would
> have to eat to maintain that physique.
>
> Do you think its possible to have that physique
> and be raw? I would love to look like that!
>
> I would think if David was raw, he would look more
> defined and cut.

David was probably on a diet very close to SAD only instead of eating all day and being active outdoors for 5 mintues a month he was probably eating twice a day ( once at sunrise and once at sunset ) and being active outdoors for about 80 hours a week.

SAD diet works quite well for people who are extremely active physically. Take Michael Phelps:

[aletorro.files.wordpress.com]

12,000 calories a day. about half of it from pastry or worse. he's even eating some processed crap right in this picture as he's getting out of the pool. the trick? swimming 5 hours a day smiling smiley

problem in America is that people have the kind of meal that Hercules would have after winning a battle - only Americans have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner and then they just hop on the couch and turn on the TV.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2010 04:28AM by neurosport.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 27, 2010 07:06AM

Coco - that picture of Matt is great - I think he looks gorgeous.

Powerlifer - I couldn't use the link that you put up but the difference for me is

I would love to put my hands on Matt's body (as shown in Coco's link) but couldn't bear to touch Bruce. I just don't like all those lumps and bumps - to me it looks all wrong. I truly find all that muscle mass revolting.

for me Matt is not too thin - he looks perfect

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: May 27, 2010 12:12PM

This is what I would like to have. It's clean and lean. Just a little bigger arms would be perfect.

Date: May 27, 2010 01:14PM

Still a bit too muscley for me. He looks like he REALLY cares about how he looks if you KWIM. I like a more natural look. A strong healthy body that got that way from living well, not from trips to the gym. I dunno, this "shredded" ideal, it seems very vain to me. What is the point exactly? To show off? Maybe that's why I'm not attracted to it.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 27, 2010 03:13PM

Healthybun,

That's a cyclist's/swimmer's body, but with some weight work thrown in. My, is it getting warm in here? . . . .

Date: May 27, 2010 04:22PM

His physique is basically how i look just now give or take a little. Im trying to put on more muscle at the time being.

But its more about feeling confident in how you look yourself i guess. I dont train to please other people more to make myself happy. If ill ever feel happy that is lol.

Date: May 27, 2010 04:25PM

coco
I think it's all about to show off, we want to show our manlyness to the other sex.

Tam
Yeah, agree!

Date: May 27, 2010 04:39PM

My view on this is that the body that's created from the fun excercise are just a bonus that I can show off.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: May 27, 2010 06:10PM

Looking like that is often a side effect of working out. I thought that in addition to good eating habits exercise was important. I may be wrong though as it seems the preference is for the skinny non-working out type physique. I mean the last guy above me...if you're lean, that look can be accomplished easily with some push-ups and ab work like crunches and sit-ups. I kinda think it is funny that everyone thinks that just because someone is a little cut or has some muscle tone that they are vain and being pointless.

Date: May 27, 2010 07:08PM

Some woman like a partner who is larger than them. I once playfully picked a lady up off the floor where she was lounging and was complimented that noone had ever done that with her.

Oh, I used to be a pretty good shot put and discus thrower and did my share of lifting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2010 07:13PM by loeve.

Date: May 27, 2010 07:09PM

The opposite of muscley is not neccessarily the "skinny non-woring out type".
Eating well and taking care of one's body are of course very important but to me that means riding your bike instead of driving, going for a walk, playing with your kids in the park instead of sitting your fat a$$ on the couch in front of the TV, carrying things, working in the yard. The body gained from that sort of "working out" is far preferable to me than "cut" etc.
There are some exercises I could do to help my body be stronger in areas that I need it (I carry lots of wiggly children, laundry, groceries etc) and some more muscle tone would be a result I'm sure but I'm not aiming for a six pack etc. Just a more comfortable me with less aches and pains, plus I know it's good for my bones and cardiovascular system.
It's wonderful to want to take care of your body but doing it primarily for the sake of appearance and judging yourself by that, or basing your happiness on it, seems like an unhealthy thing to me.

Date: May 27, 2010 07:31PM

But working out in the gym can correlate to real life easily also by training for functional fitness. Lifts such as deadlifts, squatting, over head pressing etc are all movements you do in real life.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: May 27, 2010 08:41PM

I agree...the quality of my life was greater when I was lifting. I personally did not do it for looks though I did do it for my own satisfaction. It was like a hobby for me. Thing is...if you are very lean and workout you are likely to get a little bit cut. Doing things like situps are not just for vanity...they are a very important aspect of fitness and maintaining a strong core to help prevent back injuries and to give your body greater overall strength. One of the side effects that does occur sometimes however are those gross 6 pack abs. Same with any other part of your body...do some pushups you might grow some muscle on your arms and shoulders and chest. Do some squats...even polymetrics...who knows...you might get some cut legs. I don't think taking some pride in how you look is a bad thing. In fact, as long as it doesn't reach a point of being an obsession I think it is a good thing...at least it is getting the person off their butt and working out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2010 08:43PM by Nubster.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 28, 2010 11:35AM

when I was younger, I worked out as a form of self punishment almost, I'm OCD and I got on a serious kick with working out...I stopped cutting myself and started working out instead, at my peak, I did 1000 crunches, 500 situps, 500 reps at 150-300 pounds with my legs depending on how I was feeling, and 300 reps with my arms at 100 pounds, every other day, every day I would jog or run 10 miles, sometimes around 15, very rarely near 20, and twice a week id go to kenpo karate classes, occasionally 3 times if I wasnt to wiped out, then go home, eat, take some ibuprofen, go to sleep, wake up, take another ibuprofen and rub some arnica oil all over myself...eat breakfast,and start over again...

It all stopped when I broke my ankle while sparring and tore some ligaments, it was completely my fault too, I thought id show off, short stocky muscly guy jumping high in the air for a chicken kick to a guys face, is surprising, I had no intention of actually kicking him in the face, as we didnt spar that rough, you can kill somebody if you do that... so I made it really clear I was about to jump, I slowed it down considerably thinking he would just dodge out of the way, he misjudged what I was gonna do, dove straight for me, and I had to pull back to keep from kicking him in the face, and that threw me off balance and I landed really hard on my left foot with my ankle at the wrong angle, and snap! no working out other than some curls and a few other things for the next 6 months, by then I got over the compulsion...

I guess my point is, nobody works out that much without there being something seriously mentally/emotionally wrong with them...I know from personal experience...lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: May 28, 2010 01:02PM

You have just articulated it so well, thank you. There is a level of obsession that clearly, visibly shows when a person is way into working out. It is just as freaky to me as a Tammy Faye Baker made up face or large obviously fake boobs or an uber stylish mode of dress. It's artificial, it's forced, it's unnatural and therefore unattractive to me as it indicates an unhealthy imbalance. It's a physical manifestation of something not quite right. That isn't to say that I don't admire a healthy, fit body, it's just when it goes beyond a certain point that it becomes the opposite of attractive to me.

Date: May 28, 2010 03:01PM

what if there working out for a purpose though such as for boxing or if they wanted to become a pro bodybuilder. You obviously need to train at a high intensity to be able to compete.

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: May 28, 2010 03:52PM

Unfair to compare living flesh to marble...but if you converted Matt's body to marble or bronze it would like a little like Donatello's David.
Matt's body is youthful and feminine...not exactly uber attractive sexually, but he looks healthy.
Perhaps it is not so much what we eat and how our body looks, but what is it that we are actually doing with our body...whether it is permaculture farming, building dikes, climbing mountains or cleaning up oil spills...the human body is there for us to do something significant with...as a thing in itself it is a bare canvas, no matter how beautiful.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 28, 2010 04:48PM

@powerlifter:
Boxers train for tone,Strength, and speed, bodybuilders train mostly for bulk, their muscle is made up mostly of scar tissue, and I know I risk offending you by saying this, but I honestly believe that Bodybuilders both male and female, have something seriously wrong going on... if its somebody that just wants to be ripped, thats one thing, but to go to the level that bodybuilders go to, takes a special type of obsession, and it is ALWAYS bad for them, the stress on their bones and spine can make them more brittle, more prone to breaking, and much much weaker when they are older, those large muscles make it impossible to wipe your own butt, and in many cases even feed yourself... and there is an abnormal strain on a persons heart that leads them to a much higher incidence of heart attack, and im not even counting the ones that do steroids... its just both physically and mentally unhealthy, Ive come a long way from those days, and im able to look back on it and realize how sick I was then... unfortunately I still have to deal with the side effects... bad knee, one bad ankle, and a worse ankle,lol...a bad elbow, and a leg broken in 3 spots, although that most likely wasn't the fault of the insane workouts...

Date: May 28, 2010 07:06PM

curator im sorry but everything you said there is either unfounded or incorrect coming from a qualified personal trainer.

yeah boxers train for speed and strenght but there is no such thing as tone, the tone or toning that people usually refer to is just low bodyfat against muscle mass ratio, there is no way to train for tone. Boxers like other athletes if training properly incorporate heavy weights into there regime to train for strength, plyometrics for explosive strength and so on. Boxing and mixed martial arts has come on from the days where trainers would say dont touch weights they'll make you slow when infact if trained properly increase your power/speed/strength components such as speed strength, absolute strength, strength-endurance etc.

onto the bodybuilders the muscle isnt made up of scar tissue at all lol, the muscle is just that, they eat excess calories to put on muscle. You may be right on the obsession but then again we could say any athlete or even raw foodist is obsessed and is bad for them.

the abnormal heart strain is another myth as long as you have no underlying heart problems, weights and heavy weights can be very good for the circulatory system. Steroid use i can agree with having bad side effects but most of the bodybuilders or athletes i know that utilize weights are in brilliant shape.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2010 07:11PM by powerlifer.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables