Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw olive oil
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 30, 2010 06:07PM

i got one
i t has a picture of the mona lisa on the wrapper

claims to be raw and boasts " this oil is alive"

but doesn't say what temp it processes it to

just curious
if anyone else saw it

can't miss it if you purchased it cuz i never saw an olive oil that has a photo sticker of the mona lisa .. its in a dark opaque bottle

i'm not at the kitchen now so i don[t remember the name of it

sure tasted good though

anyone else use raw olive oil?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw olive oil
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 30, 2010 06:42PM

The best Olive Oil is Unheated,
Unfiltered, and UNPRESSED!!....WY

[www.livingtreecommunity.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 30, 2010 07:59PM

WY,

Wow, I'm a foodie, but that olive oil is expensive even for me! Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas : )

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 30, 2010 09:39PM

You balk at paying $39 for a liter of olive oil?

*Edit: I was actually looking for a sarcasm tag, LOL. Hope you know I'm joking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 09:40PM by banana who.

Date: May 30, 2010 10:52PM

banana who,

Yeah, I got it : ) For 39 bucks, it had better be "unpressed" between the rosy fingers of cherubs!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 30, 2010 10:58PM

LOL- I clicked on the link because I wanted to see the price but I never thought it would be that much. A tip: if you live near a large city with Italian stores, I once bought a 3-liter tin of extra virgin olive oil and it was stone-crushed. The opaque packaging was a plus, too, although I am currently using Trader Joe's extra virgin cold-pressed oil in a clear bottle and haven't detected any rancidity. I think I have a pretty discerning palate for that and so far, so good. It's around $5.99/liter--pretty good savings there...

Date: May 31, 2010 06:45AM

okay i looked at the label

its called middle earth organics and since they are 'raw' they claim to be higher in polyphenols than the avg olive oil ( yeah, its an EVOOO extra virgin)

umm.. i still couldn't see what temp they heated it up to

other raw olive oils ( i know 2 others) state their heating temp

wonder why this company doesn't

still it tastes pretty good

if you look them up, don't get scared at the 100 dollar plus label for a 16 oz bottle

if you read it closely, it is over a 100 bucks for SIX of them

so it is around 17 or so bucks per bottle

yeah, its not the cheapest but then again, i don't want to be eating olive oil that is rancid or totally heated to the max ( then... what's the point of it?)

also, i'd like to be more educated about the processing of olive oils in general

i mean, if it is a regular garden variety olive oil, what IS the temperature that they heat it up to?

isn't that just ASKING for trouble?

very very curious

i like EVOO in my salad and the 20 bucks is a bit much

so... wondering if cheaper extra virgin olive oils that are not raw is going to be a big compromise to health

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 31, 2010 12:00PM

I dunno, but I assumed all cold pressed olive oils are essentially "raw" I must admit I've not really researched this extensively, But I thought, to be considered cold pressed it had to never be exposed to any heat... thereby making it raw? I dunno, the Cold pressed EVOO I get at my local store, I got for $7 on sale for 1 liter, normal price $10... I guess not everything is more expensive up here O.o lol...

Date: May 31, 2010 12:51PM

Curator,

Even when cold stone pressed, the mere friction heat generated by the grinding stones in meeting can heat the extruding oil up above 115 F, especially if it's a hot day. There is really no way to be sure this hasn't happened apart from taking a trip to the grove and watching the process yourself(good olive oil is rarely pressed offsite). Not being an International Lady of Leisure, I can't swing that. So I either get bogged down in minutiae or take on faith that a cold stone pressed olive oil is still raw enough for occasional use. You can make yourself crazy . . .

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: June 01, 2010 03:53AM

That unpressed olive oil is overpriced because the processor got suckered into kosher certification. Kosherization of food products is one of the biggest scams going. Look it up. Why the hell should I care if my food is kosher if I am not a practitioner of that religion? The vast majority of people don't give a hoot if their food is kosher or not, yet it is getting to the point that it's almost impossible to find nonkosher food. sad smiley

Date: June 01, 2010 05:49AM

ahhh, yeah, wow thats pretty high temps for being cold pressed... I guess at this point, im just not even gonna worry about it, I dont use allot of it anyway, I just like to use it for things that normally call for vegetable oil, most things that do at least...

Date: June 01, 2010 06:32AM

yep tamukha

"International Lady of Leisure" HA HA... you crack me upsmiling smiley

Curator

don't worry... be happy

Horsea

which olive oil are u talking about as far as kosher
i don't think it matters
all "raw" olive oils are expensive
kosher or not

to me kosher means that its safe and healthy

Date: June 01, 2010 08:34PM

"Kosher means that its safe and healthy."

Really. Kosher killing ain't too safe or healthy for the animals. I know a guy who saw it in the slaughterhouse (by happenstance; he didn't work in the killing area) and he was horrified, just disgusted.

Keep your religion out of my food.
Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: June 02, 2010 04:13AM

I like your point Horsea. I looked it up a little. This website has some interesting information. [www.molokane.org]

Is Kosher Food Really Safer?
China to increase kosher food exports:

-to counter attacks for substandard and unsafe products
-most large U.S. food companies require kosher ingredients
-kosher symbol seen as a huge marketing advantage
-quality assurance, kosher supervisors are watching when government does not inspect all products
-perception that kosher is better quality, though not always healthier due to high fat and salt

[www.koshertoday.com]

Kosher meat is no more humane than regular meat, and I don't believe that meat or dairy are healthy for you, and you'd have to go local, organic grass fed to get close to safe, in my opinion.

Date: June 03, 2010 07:17AM

Thanks for that link, cyclo. I've never read that much on the internet about kosherization, but it has been hard not to see that just about everything canned, processed & packaged in regular (not jewish) grocery stores is kosher and I could never see the point, inasmuch as Jews are such a small percentage of the population. To me, the whole thing smells.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 03, 2010 10:43AM

I thought the concept of kosher from a Jewish perspective would be more concerned with the slaughter of animals, the idea that animals have a soul, without getting too graphic, salt would be the traditional preservative, which still seems to be the preservative of choice. The term "kosher" applied to olive oil doesn't quite make sense to me either.

Date: June 03, 2010 12:04PM

Kosher actually refers to away of processing many things, not just meats, but also veggies, and even olive oils, its a process centered around both their religion, and extreme OCD style cleanliness... like with a kosher salad, you can be assured that even every single leaf of lettuce was meticulously cleaned...

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 03, 2010 11:19PM

OK, with olive oil a kosher certification means it contains no meat or dairy but may be processed with equipment that handles kosher fish or eggs. It may also be processed as lower olive oil grades with the use of heat or second pressings etc.

[www.oukosher.org]

This company that certifies thousands of olive oil products gives them the "kosher pareve" designation, which means again no meat or dairy.

For example, I happen to like Colvita olive oil which I now see has the symbol "U" indicating I guess that it's kosher pareve, no meat or dairy, but am not sure it means much more than that other than it's also cleanly produced like you say.

"6. Circle U
Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil bears the OU Symbol to indicate that the oil is certified kosher pareve. The oil is manufactured under the supervision of the Kashruth Division of the Orthodox Union, which has maintained the highest standard of kosher supervision for over 80 years." [www.colavita.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2010 11:27PM by loeve.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 05, 2010 08:53PM

I love Bariani olive oil. It's one of the only true olive oils. Think there's only a couple in the U.S. and a couple imported from Italy. The rest are not raw, unfortunately. I did a lot of research on this. Whole Foods here never has it and likely they would overprice it anyhow. Online is the best option. You shouldn't have to pay more than $25 for a liter, usually you can buy it for way less.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: brome ()
Date: June 06, 2010 06:05PM

Olive oil from depitted olives is a cleaner, better tasting, pure fruit, alternative to most olive oils. Most extraction processes grind up the whole olive, seed and all, and then press it.

[www.montalcinoreport.com]

[www.olivaylle.com]

[www.fortunaolive.com]

Date: June 07, 2010 10:55AM

BARIANI??? no wonder the last olive oil i got be4 this bottle was so tasty! I got it at the grocery outlet in my town for $10, it was really really good...way better than the cheap stuff I normally get... they where gone the next time I went in though... if its that rare of stuff over here, I guess I'll probably never see it again for that price sad smiley

Posted by: RaysofLight ()
Date: June 07, 2010 07:20PM

Date: June 08, 2010 06:18PM

hi rays of light

thanks for the wiki article

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: June 09, 2010 07:19AM

I don't use any liquid oils. For fats - nuts, seeds and avacados.

Date: June 10, 2010 09:22PM

yeah
going back to eden
is good idea

no oils

i like to use avo too
or avo ,lemon plus tomato
blended

as a dressing

my salad has good fashion smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 10, 2010 10:28PM

back2eden Wrote:
"I don't use any liquid oils. For fats - nuts, seeds and avacados."

I've recently started doing this full-time, and I like it.

la_veronique Wrote:

"i like to use avo too
or avo, lemon plus tomato
blended

as a dressing"

I like the avo/lemon combo for dressing too.

I think the truly raw plant oils are probably superior to other concentrated/processed plant oils, but the whole food probably brings with it more of what's needed for optimal health benefit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables