Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I'm TRYING to like green smoothies but...
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: June 05, 2010 07:50AM

just when I can get myself to start tolerating the taste... it's the texture that's hitting my gag reflex. It's fuzzy and pulpy and it reminds me of throwing up.. just going down instead of coming up.

I'm using a Vitamix not a regular blender. For instance, I'm starting with celery adnd ah andful of spinach. I'm trying to avoid masking it with fruit as I prefer to eat y fruit. So far celery and spinach is the easiest to get down except for the texture even when using a straw.

Any advice? Can green smoothies actually become "smooth"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm TRYING to like green smoothies but...
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 05, 2010 08:46AM

Here are a few ideas:

Try baby spinach (because it has less fibre).

Use lettuces and work up to tougher greens.

Fruit really does wonders for smoothies. I know you said you prefer to eat your fruit, but maybe add some orange juice if you are trying to mask taste? If the problem is more texture, maybe make an exception for a half a banana; they really smoothe out smoothies.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 05, 2010 11:53AM

Agree with Trive. I could not choke down most green smoothies without the balance of fruit with the greens. Green juice devoid of fruit, yes, but not green smoothie.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 05, 2010 03:09PM

green juice is easy infact tastes quite nice if you get the right ratio.

i believe the old vitamix's keep the fibre along with it which is the best way to juice or you'll end up with fatty liver etc.

Build up to it and mask with certain fruits is the best advice i can give.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 05, 2010 04:21PM

How about straining it in to a juice and adding back a smaller amount of the pulp and build up to it? I don't like green smoothies either so I just do juice. I do add a banana and/or avocado to my juice now and then to make it more of a smoothie but I usually remove the pulp first from the greens. I also eat a lot of salads using much of the same greens I juice so I am getting my fiber elsewhere.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 05, 2010 07:53PM

I agree with Nubster about the banana/avocado. Bananas really dominate smoothies, which is why I don't always want to include them, but they also lend creaminess and in this case, masking the flavor is a good thing. Maybe you'll react differently after drinking these regularly.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: June 05, 2010 08:32PM

Any advice for green juice that isn't masked by carrots then? I can go through a pound of spinach in the green star..but it takes 2lbs of carrots to make it taste worthy. I don't drink that much at once.. about 16oz and then the next gets put in a mason jar for later. I like cleaning the juicer right away in the summer.

Trying to cut down on sugars..blood sugar issues and carrot juice does effect it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 08:34PM by BackAgain.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 05, 2010 08:37PM

You're trying to make it into a savory smoothie or soup, so the best thing is to add ingredients to compliment them. First make sure you're using enough liquid like water or from cucumber. That alone should help the texture. Then using some type of fat helps makes it creamy-avocado is the best, olive oil is also good or nuts. You don't have to use fats, but it helps greatly. Spices, lemon juice and other flavorings also help.

Combining fruit instead is a better idea for a green smoothie where you don't want to add these other things. Like adding bananas is one of the best things you can do for the flavor & texture (besides avocado).

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: June 05, 2010 09:07PM

Spinach, water, banana, mango and some ground flax seeds is similar to what I usually make. Try something like that because it will be creamy and you'll taste fruit not greens.

Date: June 06, 2010 12:45AM

BackAgain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any advice for green juice that isn't masked by
> carrots then? I can go through a pound of spinach
> in the green star..but it takes 2lbs of carrots to
> make it taste worthy. I don't drink that much at
> once.. about 16oz and then the next gets put in a
> mason jar for later. I like cleaning the juicer
> right away in the summer.
>
> Trying to cut down on sugars..blood sugar issues
> and carrot juice does effect it.

Apples are great in green juice too but that wouldn't help you trying to cut sugars. I always include apple and/or carrots in mine. I have not tried straight greens yet...I like it with some fruit too much.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 06, 2010 03:21AM

I looooooove bananas in my green smoothies, it tastes better, its smoother... and also adding berries in helps allot too, I know ya dont want to add fruit...but I cant think of any other way to make a green smoothie all that palatable, unless you make just a sauce/ dip instead, and use it for dipping other veggies in... like some sorta raw spinach dip...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 06, 2010 02:53PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> i believe the old vitamix's keep the fibre along
> with it which is the best way to juice or you'll
> end up with fatty liver etc.

can you clarify what you mean here>? ive never heard that green juice without fiber gives you a fatty liver

or maybe i have misunderstood what you were saying smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 06, 2010 02:54PM

How about just juicing?
That way,everything will be liquid,with no "texture".

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 06, 2010 04:34PM

Jodi,

This perplexed me, too. I have never heard of a raw foodist developing fatty liver from juiced greens. Or even juiced fruit. I think if one is eating oxidating, high fat cooked foods on top of juiced fruits(not greens) one could potentially develop Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, but not on a raw foods regimen, surely.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: June 06, 2010 07:03PM

If you need lots of greens, drink grass juice. It has ten times the nutrition of any other green. Plus you avoid the huge amount of bulky fiber that the human body is just not built for.

Alternatively, juice most of your other greens to avoid bloating the system. You only need a modest amount of bulk (fiber) to keep things moving thru the system well and most of that can come from fruit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2010 07:06PM by brome.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2010 02:21AM

I use a juicer for my favorite green juice:

One handful of spinach

One handful of parsley

2 large kale leaves

2 green apples

This is absolutely yummy! I've only juiced and never blended this recipe.

Date: June 14, 2010 03:12AM

For green juice try adding some cucumber. Cuke and apple together is my fave and you can keep the amount of fruit to a minimum that way.

How about leaving the celery out of green smoothies, I can't imagine that will Ever blend nicely. Changing the flavour by adding some fruit really does affect how we interpret texture. I couldn't drink a plain green drink of that consistancy but one with fruit? No problem.

Date: June 14, 2010 09:16PM

I had the same issues but I put an avocado and one fig for a little sweetness and I can now tolerate the green smoothie.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 15, 2010 07:45PM

hey backagain

u specifically asked for a no sugar deal

so i'd say go for the tomatoes

blend tomatoes with avo and any other greens and u got a v- 8

that way u can forgo the apples, bananas and all that other jazz since concentrated sugar isn't your cup o tea

if that doesn't work

then .... who says you have to LIKE green smoothies or anything else for that matter

u don't have to do anything unless u want to

Date: June 15, 2010 10:50PM

mmm, that sounds yummy...

Date: June 16, 2010 04:53AM

Do green juice shots. Lick some sea salt, shoot the greens, suck on an organic lemon wedge...lol

Date: June 16, 2010 05:01AM

and a tequila chaser... j/k

Date: June 16, 2010 01:57PM

Haha, some awesome responses!

I dont like mine thick and pulpy *some totally do!!*

I just add more water or fruit juice and it helps the blender work its way through. Also the blender quality has a lot to do with the amount that it is mixed up.

so decent blender + more water = more of a juice but you still get the fiber that you miss when juicing!!

Visit www.lilyfresh.net

I am trying to develop the recipe section on my website, so check it out if youre interested! Also talks about the importance of greens...I think they are really lacking in our diets for the most part!! Just tryin to pass the word around

love
lily!

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: June 16, 2010 02:15PM

Celery is better juiced than in smoothies, Also save the stems of your greens to be juiced with carrots etc... rather than put them in the smoothies. Blend the greens first with 1/2 blender full of chilled water. Then add your oranges, bananas, acai, goji, cacao powder/maca, mango, pineapple, berries

Date: June 16, 2010 04:02PM

I made a spinach, banana, fresh picked strawberry (picked 3 gallons last night) smoothie this morning. I was in a hurry, otherwise I would have strained the spinach first then added the fruit, but I am glad I didn't...it was pretty good. Taste was great, it is the consistency I usually don't care much for in green smoothies. However with just spinach and it being a tender leafy green anyways, it was good.

Date: June 16, 2010 04:30PM

"acai, goji, cacao powder/maca" gross. To me anyhow. Sort of like blended vitamin tablets.

Nubster, we have been having a similar smoothie, young leaves of spinach with fresh strawberries. I've been adding some pineapple the past 2 days and there will be blueberries in the freezer soon. Simple is good for the kids and I. Oh, I put banana in theirs too, they love that.

Date: June 16, 2010 07:25PM

Janabanana Wrote:
> Celery is better juiced than in smoothies

Celery is great blended. I've been making celery soup for years and it's one of the best ones. I've also done a couple of sweet smoothies with celery.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 17, 2010 10:03AM

hey gilmore girl

checked out yer site
i dig the celery tomato dressing.. think i will make it this weekend for my romaine salad

i also like the vitamineral green soup cuz its similar to what i make

yummmm

Date: June 17, 2010 04:07PM

Hope you enjoy them. smiling smiley You can also make a celery tomato soup either based on that recipe or without the juice, by adding more tomato or water. You can try different spices as well.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 19, 2010 12:30PM

technically thats not really a smoothie if you add celery IMO!!!! its soup.
no wonder it tastes horrible with bad texture, you gotta add fruit. humans are supposed to eat some fruit. What is your fear of drinking fruit??

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables