Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Thinning hair (I'm female!)
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2010 02:16AM

No way man, this happens all the time and it's a GOOD thing! This is how we grow and learn and discover things about each other and how we communicate together. Friction makes things go forward and that's not something I want to rewind.

Someone else eating something that I don't or don't want to eat doesn't "promote" it for me (I'm not quite that suggestible) but it does give me a place to work from. If they are finding success for an issue I'm having with eggs I can use that info to find a vegan food combo that gives me the same nutrients or I can look and see where I might be having absorption issues with those nutrients etc etc etc. In fact, that sort of examination can disprove the need for consumption of animal products instead of the reverse.
ALL discussion is good in my eyes though that is not the general consensus here. It's been a point of contention for YEARS, as long as I've been coming here in fact. Many have gone on their way looking for another site to discuss such issues but I am with you Trive, I like it here and just talk about what is allowed, going elsewhere to learn about or discuss other subjects.

It's all good.

Please let me know how it goes with you Trive, I am curious about your experiences with this. xo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rab ()
Date: July 08, 2010 02:31AM

I have a problem of slow growing hair and losing body hair. My beard grows less than half the speed it used to. After reading several topics on this forum, my conclusion is - dark greens are to blame!

In troubleshooting computer problems, we first ask: "what changed?". Well, I did switch to raw food a couple of months before I began having thyroid problems (never checked my blood, though, as I feel fine, I have energy etc.). Now, at first I made smoothies with a lot of greens, including Kale, Collard green and others. I thought that would be the only way not to feel hungry, as those greens make you feel full. The biggest addition to my diet were those greens, raw.

Well, while on SAD diet, I always (or almost always) ate a lot of fruit, and my bowel movement was regular. When I switched to raw food, I started to have delayed bowel movement, once a day or even less. So, when I realized I had a problem, and read here from one of the previous topics that greens can cause a problem with some thyroid functions, I stopped using dark greens completely. I no longer make that many smoothies, I eat fruit and veggies directly, or in a salad. I decided to eat some nuts (brasilian and walnut) to compensate for selenium, but I am not sure about iodine - should I use a supplement, or should I try Kelp. I have tried once eating steamed fish (for iodine) and felt horrible afterwards, so that is not a good plan. My other plan was to maybe include raw oysters and/or other shells. But, I am sure that there is a pure vegan solution to this, I just need to find it.

As far as raw food diet being an "experiment", I don't agree completely. If we lived with monkeys, and ate exactly like that do, we would be healthy, no dilema about that. The only problem for us is our lifestyle, modern life, that moves us away from natural sources and forces us to eat artificially grown and produced food, while also living in an artificial environment, far from the nature. On the other hand, we are going back to our original diet after a long time of SAD living (many generations), and one would have to expect the switch would not be perfect. Being on a SAD diet is far worse for one's health, though. So, it is an experiment to a certain degree, but what makes it "experimental" is that we are trying to eat natural food leading a not so natural life.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 08, 2010 11:21AM

try including seaweeds in your diet for iodine and/or kelp supplement.

we do a very pure brown seaweed supplement at the link below its very rich in organic iodine and 2 other compounds one which is documented anti-cancer and the other which detoxes heavy metals.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 08, 2010 12:14PM

I agree that raw food is not an experiment. I think cooked food is an experiment that is failing.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 08, 2010 03:45PM

rab,

Overconsumption of brassica greens was bad for my thyroid, for sure. But I just made a point of consuming more fruit than greens, rotating the brassica greens with ones that are goiterogen-free, like lettuce and spinach, and to take a water soluble iodine supplement. That equalized things pretty well.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: July 08, 2010 04:33PM

Tamukha, that is exactly what I am doing - minus the supplement. I will get one from NaturalNews.

Thanks a lot.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 08, 2010 05:21PM

what supplement are you taking tamukha?

seaweeds are brilliant though not only rich in minerals such as iodine, silica, but vitamins, anti-cancer compounds which have been documented, anti-heavy metals etc, good prebiotic fibre and so on. seaweed is often reffered to as silica of the sea makes it great for skin, hair, connective tissue, bones etc.

Date: July 08, 2010 10:34PM

lots of primates eat eggs, bugs and eachother. It may be raw but I'm not doing it! I ammend my statement that raw Vegan is an experiment.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 08, 2010 10:40PM

I ate a chocolate covered grasshopper on a dare a few years ago, as well as a roasted scorpion, both where delicious, but I still puked afterward, and I dont think I will ever eat them again...lol...chimps can have my share of the bugs...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: July 09, 2010 01:44PM

powerlifer,

Have a very low tolerance for seaweed; cannot stand the smell of kelp, even. I have tried choking down seaweed-based supplements in the past but could not manage it for long. Wakame and hijiki are fine, but anything more pungent and it's a chore. I've been taking a medium dose of Iosol in water every week for a few months at a time, for about a year and a half. It has helped a lot, though I'd probably take a fractionated iodine supplement if I ever developed a severe deficiency again.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 09, 2010 02:15PM

I don't have any suggestions. But if it counts for anything, I hope your hair starts to grow the way you like it. I hope this is a support.

Date: July 09, 2010 03:40PM

Tam, isn't hijiki that one that has been found to be very high in contaminants? I remember liking that one a lot before reading about that.

Date: July 10, 2010 02:08PM

coco,

[sigh]Well, good thing I haven't eaten it in months then : (

It's always something, ya know? . . .

Date: July 10, 2010 02:51PM

coco,
hijiki very high in contaminants? Which ones?

Date: July 10, 2010 05:33PM

I can't remember if it was mercury or something else and it's difficult to search with this dial up connection. I do remember liking that one best of all the sea veg and being very sad to cross it off my list.
If someone finds some info, good or bad, and can post a link..?

Date: July 11, 2010 03:54PM

Coco,
I was thinking that it had arsenic, that is what I heard. Here is a link about it.
[www.edenfoods.com]

Its a long article, but it seems to conclude that its not harmful. I have read articles about how arsenic is generally known for its toxicity, but what is less known is that small amounts of arsenic may be essential.
[www.eagle-min.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables