Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anybody ever had a problem with Collards?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 11, 2010 01:54PM

I usually use mostly Kale in my green smoothies, but on my last trip to the store, they where out of kale, and I have read up online that nutritionally, collards and kale are roughly the same... however Ive had an issue with collards that Ive never had with kale... upon er... the evacuation of the food I had eaten the previous day, I noticed that there was allot of green, that looked like undigested plant matter... I dont have this problem with kale, what could be the difference?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody ever had a problem with Collards?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 11, 2010 06:47PM

<<filed under TMI>>

Um...it sounds like collards have more insoluable fiber in them. Honestly, I am surprised that raw food chefs use them so often for dishes. But perhaps you should de-vein them? The raw fooders often do that. They seem so tough! I saw a recipe for a wrap and they used deveined collards as the "tortilla."

Date: June 11, 2010 07:24PM

I did de-vein them sad smiley hmmm, well, guess im not using collards anymore, stick with the kale I know and love,lol

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 11, 2010 08:05PM

Try chard?

Date: June 11, 2010 08:12PM

meh, not a big fan of chard, I prefer kale, weird I know... so many people dont seem to like it, but I love it, I just wanted to try something new...

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 11, 2010 08:37PM

What is the English name for collards - would it be what we call 'greens' I wonder? They are like a cabbage that is composed of individual leaves rather than making a cabbage type 'heart'

Date: June 11, 2010 08:45PM

hmmm, these dont really seem like cabbage, they are dark green, kinda leathery, really thick, heres a decent picture of them I found...

[s2.hubimg.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 11, 2010 08:47PM

flipperjan,

[www.all-creatures.org]

Braised pepperpot greens, aka braised collards(sometimes turnip tops) with hot pepper were one of my fav cooked veggies at fall and winter time. Don't think I've had collards raw--they tend to be very rough when typically harvested, as it is presumed they'll be cooked.

Curator, were the collards you bought young ones? The first harvest for spring planted ones is coming up, so I'm gonna try buying some young ones then and see how they do in smoothies. Will report back if necessary : )

Posted by: rab ()
Date: June 11, 2010 09:01PM

I ready about it on Wikipedia, and the advice is that these "heavy" greens should be eaten younger (before the plant develops the defensive ingridients) - fully blown plant is too hard to digest. I imagine that for the business, full grown plants make more money, and most of the people boil them anyway.

Date: June 11, 2010 09:01PM

honestly, as im not to familiar with them, im not sure how young they are, I do know they where grown here in california, so being spring, I dunno how long they couldve been growing... they seem to have a tougher cellular structure than kale though, cause my body seems to not want to digest them... let me know if young ones do better for you, maybe even a comparison? young vs old? there was only the one type here in my town, an d they dont specify whether young or old...

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 11, 2010 09:08PM

We call them spring greens and I love them steamed. I don't fancy them raw though - really tough and hard core I would think. But then I've never tried raw kale - I don't like it that much steamed and I would have thought that was as tough as old boots too.

Date: June 11, 2010 09:14PM

the kale is as easy to eat, about as easy as normal lettuce for me, but with both the kale and the collards, I removed the core, only use the leafy part...

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 12, 2010 01:56AM

I prefer kale but use chard as well to mix it up. You're not weird! smiling smiley

Date: June 12, 2010 08:25AM

^_^

Posted by: gz ()
Date: June 12, 2010 11:13PM

Whatever you do, don't try mustard greens in a smoothie! That was a silly mistake to make, but I wasn't very familiar with the different types of greens at the time. Although if someone has a good recipe for raw mustard greens i'd love to know it.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 13, 2010 05:04AM

HA HA gz

i tried mustard greens in juice once
and BOYYY did i NEVER forget that!
it was like drinking a glass of pure sulfur
it was extreeemely hot in a mustardy like way
wowoowww

curator

fortunately, i've never had a problem with collard greens
maybe i'm lucky

i like to cut them in thin strips
and mix it with my other greens in a salad

i also like to use them as a "wrap"

like a raw tortilla
i'll put veggies inside it
and wrap it up

some people just aren't into certain vegetables
and resonate with others

listen to your body
it knows best

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables