Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kombucha question:
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 13, 2010 10:10PM

Apparently, it does not always contain alchohol. The brand I always see in the health stores says on its label that it is 0.5% alcohol, which is like a trace but enough to list. It would be equivalent to a near-beer. But I don't consume any alcohol, so I have avoided it thus far. I am curious about this because yesterday I saw another brand at an independent health store and it had nothing on it about any alcohol. And I would like to make it at home. Any experiences/thoughts/tips for moi? Thanks muchly!smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 10:20PM by banana who.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kombucha question:
Posted by: gz ()
Date: June 13, 2010 10:21PM

Kombucha is formed from a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast. The yeast consumes the simple sugars and excretes alcohol, then the bacteria consume the alcohol and turn it into various organic acids (vinegar). There will always be some trace amounts of alcohol that haven't been converted to vinegar. Its probably is possible to play with different cultures, brew times, and initial sugar supply to create kombucha that has such a small amount of alcohol that it doesn't need to be on the label, but it would probably take a bit of experimenting and testing. I would guess that longer brew times would result in the least amount of alcohol, but the higher vinegar content will make it too acidic to drink. Maybe the kombucha you found is from a mature batch, and is watered down.

Date: June 13, 2010 10:26PM

Thanks for that info. I was wondering because I heard that it tastes vinegary. I have never tasted it but I just watched a video by some raw fooders who say they got wasted on some kombucha and ended up giving away the rest of their supply as a result. I don't want to get something with enough alcohol to be on a label and I don't know if it's possible, especially if I make it myself where I cannot control it.

Posted by: gz ()
Date: June 13, 2010 10:41PM

Glad to help. Apparently theres a process for making kombucha wine, with a high enough alcohol content to get drunk on, but it involves the addition of champagne yeast.

Home brewing it will always lead to variations. Perhaps the kombucha drinkers you're referring to didn't let it brew long enough. The yeast likely converts the sugar to alcohol faster than the bacteria can convert it to vinegar, so it could potentially be a sugary, alcohol laden drink with minimal organic acids if not brewed long enough.

I imagine the big name makers know exactly how much sugar to use in their big batches, so the yeast runs out of its food source and stops producing alcohol, then the bacteria is allowed enough time to use up all the alcohol.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 14, 2010 12:40AM

banana -

I've been making Kombucha tea, & also water Kefir.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

I have a batch of tea going right now that I made with Oolong, it has a nice aroma to it. Has been fermenting for 8 days so far.

It can taste "vinegary" if lest to ferment long enough. If you are buying a store tea, the GT's Kombucha Synergy grape flavor is quite good. Problem is, they are like $3.99 each...

That is why so many make their own & flavor it to their liking. I don't consume alcohol either, so I understand your concern, but the trace amounts are so very minute....you will not get drunk off of it, lol...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2010 12:41AM by juicerkatz.

Date: June 14, 2010 05:39PM

JK: Synergy was the company I was referring to. I realize that I wouldn't get drunk off of that. My desire is not to consume anything with any listed amount of alcohol, whether or not it would get me drunk. As I mentioned, another brand doesn't list any alcohol in it whatsoever, so it got me to thinking about making my own and whether following a particular process would result in my avoiding it turning boozy.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 14, 2010 05:57PM

Alcohol is a naturally occurring result of the fermentation process; I don't know how it would work without the alcohol result, because you would just basically end up with sugar water.

You could do that by not allowing the fermentation to go that far, but then again, is the probiotic result diminished by stopping the fermentation process...

I am curious; what is your aversion to a minute amount of alcohol in the tea?

Also, have you looked into water kefir? It is an excellent alternative to Kombucha, as far as a source of probiotics go, and it doesn't result in nearly the "beer taste" that Kombucha can.

RawRadiantHealth (Natasha St. Michael) has some great youtube vids on it.

Here is one using coconut water as the sugar source -

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 14, 2010 06:45PM

Thanks! I was thinking of doing that since I love coconut water so much! The only thing I wondered was why we even had to use the kefir grains at all. Like, what's the difference between simply fermenting something and adding kefir grains? I notice that Natasha also used kefir grains to make almond cheeze and I have a book called "Wild Fermentation" and they have nut cheeze where you just let it sit out.

Date: June 15, 2010 08:02PM

JK: I just reread your question: it's not so much an "aversion" as that I do not consume alcohol and if it's listed, I won't partake. I also would avoid tinctures with alcohol in them even if it's a minute amount.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 15, 2010 10:25PM

hmm, they have shown that trace amounts of alcohol is actually really good for you, but, to each their own i say... ANY tincture should have alcohol in it, or else it isnt technically a tincture, if its made with water, its just an infusion, if its made with alcohol, the best percentage being on average around 40-44% alcohol, then you get the most beneficial mixture of both water soluble and alcohol soluble compounds... so there really is no actual "tincture" that doesnt have alcohol in it, as that is what makes it a tincture to begin with...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 15, 2010 11:43PM

banana who,

I think adding kefir grains makes it more likely that you will end up with a fermentation, rather than a spoilage. Unless you know for certain that your kitchen environment has >x of benefical microbes and <x of pathogenic microbes, it's chancy to just let something sit out and hope it ferments safely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2010 11:45PM by Tamukha.

Date: June 16, 2010 03:39AM

Tamukha: Do you happen to know whether the kefir grains prevent the beverage from turning alcoholic or if that has nothing to do with it? I also would like to know if it become fizzy with kefir grains. Dairy kefir has a slight carbonation burn it seems...I don't mind if it gets bubbly as long as alcohol does not formsmiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 16, 2010 11:37AM

banana who,

I am not sure how you are defining alcohol, but any ferment technically contains trace amounts of chemical alcohol. That's what makes it a ferment, rather than just a carbonation. The kefir grains should induce a fermentation process and will make it fizzy, but not like soda pop, which is, of course, fizzy from added carbonation, and not from the presence of probiotic bacteria.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables