Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

help-college bound... food?
Posted by: mallow ()
Date: August 24, 2006 04:15PM

Off to college in about a week.
I'm on the meal plan... it's gonna be rough.

I'm planning to keep a supply of sea veggies, cultured veggies, chickpea miso, lemons, wheatgrass powder and distilled water on hand, and then go after fruits, greens, n' veggies in the dining hall.

I think that I'll take a small coffee mill for grinding seeds and a mini-food processor or perhaps a blender with me.
Thing is, where I'm going it gets a lot colder than I am used to, especially in the winter. Ginger tea will be nice, but I'd really like some warm soups. If I brought a crockpot or a rice cooker and put some thinly sliced veggies in it on low heat, like 12 to 24 hour beforehand, would I then enjoy some softened, enzyme active live veggie soup, or dead sludge?

Golly I want me some veggie soup.

Please, any thoughts/advice/help?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help-college bound... food?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 24, 2006 04:27PM

Can you get off the meal plan and use that money for your own grocery bills? The fruit and greens in the dining hall are probably not organic, and most likely won't be so ripe and fresh.

If you are eating raw, it seems much easier to buy and prepare your own foods, especially if you are eating a lot of fruits and leafy greens, which don't really require any prep time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 24, 2006 04:34PM

You get quinoa and lentil. They are very easy to sprout in small jars and nobody will notice.

Posted by: lilpaws ()
Date: August 24, 2006 08:03PM

the greens in my DH were organic, surprisingly! i live in Santa cruz though so people are generally a bit more cautious.. (on that same note, a "restaurant" just opened on campus that is mostly local grown organic foods)

take raw snacks for between meals/classes: almonds, fruit from the DH (remember to wash! / might get boring sometimes.. they usually only have like oranges, apples, bananas, sometimes pears..), goji if you can afford it

stock: quinoa, cous cous, wheats, oats + jars (as mentioned above) for sprouting in your room.

will you have a fridge?

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: August 25, 2006 12:27AM

Does anyone have any imput on my soup/crockpot questions?

I can't be off the meal plan this year, but yes, I will have a fridge.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 25, 2006 01:37AM

You might have to modified the crockpot (I'm assuming the type of crockpot you're talking about is electric) to keep the temps low enough to keep the food live. I've thought of doing this to a hotplate, add temp regulator that turns it off if it goes over 105F and back on if it goes under 100F (or something like that).

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 25, 2006 08:50AM

Grow sprouts. The seeds are fairly inexpensive vs the volume you get. Have a 2-3 containers on hand so that you will always have enough.

I tried the meal plan when I was in college. All I got was fat. Too much salt in the food, the fruits tasted like plastic, the salad was wilted to non-existent. Also, the food is recycled. When there are leftovers, they use it another day to concoct something else inedible. Sorry.

I always ate better & healthier outside of the dining hall.

Good luck in college.
Therese

Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 25, 2006 12:58PM

The crockpot would kill your veggies. Sorry. But you could warm a good organic stock in it and add sliced veggies immediately before eating. You'd still have a cooked food in the stock, but the sliced veggies you could maintain raw.

Something I would consider is to purchase one of those coffee mug with warmer getups. You could blend the stock (thereby staying raw) and add sliced veggies to that and gently warm in the mug.

Kathleen

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: August 25, 2006 03:09PM

mallow.. yes you can be off the meal plan this year if you get a Dr to say that for health reasons you cannot eat that food. I bet if you contact a Dr who believes in this way of eating they will help you out...

Posted by: monson ()
Date: August 25, 2006 03:28PM

i agree. i'd put some more effort into getting off the meal plan. when i transferred to a new school i was required to live in a dorm and be on the meal plan since it was my first year at this particular school.

i spoke with the housing coordinator and told her i was vegan and wouldn't be able to eat anything that they provided. She made an exception and i ended up living in an on campus apartment where i could prepare my own food.

So i'm sure if you got a letter from a doctor and put up enough fuss they would change the rules for you.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: August 25, 2006 04:58PM

they are obligated to change the rules for you.. I've known numerous people who have gotten off their meal plan...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables