Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Can you build big muscles on a vegan/raw vegan diet?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 30, 2010 10:33AM

big muscles has more to do with caloric intake rather than heavy weight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 30, 2010 12:21PM

Agreed, one must eat to build and maintain big muscles.

As a sprinter Tom Boonen would be working on short bursts of explosive power as evidenced by his quads --

Boonen is very popular in his native Belgium, here selling shoes?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 30, 2010 12:26PM

o.O they have an interesting way of selling shoes in Belgium,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 30, 2010 01:37PM

Not sure what the ad is saying--outsprint the lions and tigers and bears, oh my?

Date: June 30, 2010 01:57PM

It's a google image, the intent unknown other than displaying nice quads gotten bicycling or otherwise. It might have played better in Europe if that was the case. The shoe detracts from the image, IMO, otherwise Boonen has what it takes.

Curator, the spartan warrior look has been done recently elsewhere, this character from "300" in particular. I think they use a stunt double in this scene which shows some serious kicking ability --

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 01:59PM by loeve.

Date: June 30, 2010 03:04PM

well yes, I saw the movie, I just found it strange one would use a costume on some one from a period in which sandals and leg wraps where the norm to sell what look like running shoes? but if it works, it works, I actually kinda get it, cause I for one would definitely remember a dude dressed as a spartan selling running shoes...lol, 2 of my female friends dressed up as male spartan warriors for last Halloween... was the highlight of the night when some people at the party collected money and went on a fast food run, and when they got back she asked a guy to hand her a cheeseburger, and he handed her a taco, and she yelled out "THIS IS TACO!" as she put her foot on his chest and kicked him onto the couch,lol... other than the fast food, best Halloween party ever...lol

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 30, 2010 04:23PM

Not running shoes...cycling shoes.

Date: June 30, 2010 04:43PM

ah, either way, id remember the commercial,lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: June 30, 2010 05:50PM

curator that taco kick thing made me lol.

Date: June 30, 2010 11:57PM

Yeah, she is a pretty amazing woman, if she wasnt married there would be no shortage of guys waiting in line with a ring,lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 02, 2010 01:34AM

Women are great. It can't be easy going from being smothered in kisses to coming off as a convincing Gladiator in a photo shoot though Tom does a respectable job and the way these cyclists endure these events and then sprinters like Boonen attack at the finish gives them a reputation for being tough anyway.

Date: July 02, 2010 01:45AM

Im pretty sure being smothered in kisses by beautiful women, and getting payed to dress up as a gladiator, are pretty easy things to deal withwinking smiley hehehehehe

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 02, 2010 01:58AM

Nubster: Has anyone told you that you resemble a cop?

Date: July 02, 2010 03:42AM

Not lately. I'll have to get a current pic taken and posted...nobody on earth would ever think that I was a cop (not really one right now due to lay off) or ever was one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 03:43AM by Nubster.

Date: July 06, 2010 11:53AM

It's good to see Jens Voigt back in great shape. Some of you might remember my posting of his Tour de France crash last year after my own swan dive after hitting a pothole hidden by a puddle. Ha, I went back and patched that thing myself with some asphalt I had kicking around. By the way, we both came through without major injuries, Jens' helmet helping him, me using my hands to break the fall. A little road rash goes without saying. Being in shape didn't hurt.

Jens Voigt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 12:01PM by loeve.

Date: July 07, 2010 07:45AM

Dang, I did the same a few years ago, I hada cheap crappy bike too, and it actually broke the frame... I also patched the spot, although I used a chunk of asphalt I found on the side of the road, and a pound of thermite, filled the hole with the thermite, set the asphalt on top of it, ignited it, and it melted perfectly into the hole, a nice chunk of asphalt and metal goop which quickly hardened after I doused it with water, and that patch is still going strong till this day,LOL...

Date: July 07, 2010 11:22AM

That's brilliant and gutsy using thermite to heat the asphalt. I like to do my geurilla highway repair at dawn and didn't feel like getting up at 4 in the morning to heat the asphalt in this little portable electric oven I have. I should have though.

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: July 07, 2010 12:48PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> big muscles has more to do with caloric intake
> rather than heavy weight.

I'd say it's definitely more training than eating. You can't gain muscle without actually overloading the muscles (i.e. strength training). You also have to recover (includes rest and eating), but overloading comes first.

That said, eating enough and of the right foods does make a "huge" difference. winking smiley
I have noticed a tiny change in muscle mass since upping my caloric intake (likely more due to a change in exercise routine), but more importantly I actually have more energy to workout. I don't feel the need to skip workouts every few weeks like I used to, even though I now play tennis about 5x per week.

Hooray for fruit! grinning smiley

Date: July 07, 2010 05:12PM

hypertrophy is definitley more in the eating/caloric intake than the training.

obviously training and sufficient rest are key factors but id say at least 70% is based on caloric intake.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 07, 2010 11:14PM

ediblecity, Thanks for the link to nutritiondata.com.

It might be worth mentioning that all of that protein in a cup of kale adds up to 4% Daily Value (DV). In other words, one cup of kale supplies 4% of the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for protein.

Other raw foods that provide considerable quantities of protein:

A cup of raw pumpkin seeds supplies 68% of the RDA for protein (plus 115% of the RDA for iron).

[nutritiondata.self.com]

A cup of raw sunflower seeds supplies 58% of the RDA for protein (plus over 200% of the RDA for vitamin E).

[nutritiondata.self.com] (This link goes to sunflower seeds with hulls, so adjust serving size - top left - to 1 cup [140g])

A cup of whole raw sesame seeds supplies 51% of the RDA for protein (plus 140% of the RDA for calcium and 116% of the RDA for iron).

[nutritiondata.self.com].

The protein in one ounce of chia seeds is complete protein and supplies 9% of the RDA, and chia supplies more omega-3s than any other plantfood.

[nutritiondata.self.com]

A cup is of seeds is probably too many seeds for a lot of people, but the idea is that a person could eat maybe a half cup (or more or less) of any of the above, or a combination of any of the above, and, added along with protein quantities from other raw foods such as kale and even bananas (one large banana provides 3% DV), they'd easily access as much protein as they'd like.

All raw foods contain protein.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 08, 2010 12:08AM

"All raw foods contain protein." Amen! but I will add "all raw whole foods contain protein," as some people consider oils and salts and syrups and junk "raw."

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: July 08, 2010 01:07AM

I haven't really checked all posts here but I think this guy got it, Sherif Kamal:

Altho, he doesn't run a marathon everyday but I gess he's getting all of his calories.
His website: [naturesfitnessmodel.com]

One thing I always see occuring: If you build big muscles you eat extra protein (sun-warrior mostly). Have you also seen this or can you build these muscles (like Sherifs) without extra protein?

Date: July 08, 2010 03:02AM

I would find it hard to believe that one could build up a physique like that without some extra protein. He is not huge by any stretch of the imagination but much more muscular than all the other raw "bodybuilder" pictures I have seen so far.

Date: July 08, 2010 10:45AM

You will need extra protein aswell as extra calories in general.

Course all raw food contains some amount of protein, but lets go back to the conditionally essential aminos such as taurine and carnitine.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 08, 2010 12:15PM

The "extra protein" would be provided by the "extra calories."

Date: July 08, 2010 01:30PM

There are some states where the body burns a small but significant amount of protein for fuel like during certain endurance sports. The muscles might be grabbing whatever energy source is at hand even if it's its own tissue. We have a poster who does competitive paddle boarding and has had trouble maintaining muscles used during multi-hour intensive training sessions. I guess that's why some suggest foods/drinks with protein during long events, the body looking for protein (amino acids if you like) at those times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2010 01:33PM by loeve.

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: July 08, 2010 01:33PM

According to a 1985 WHO report:

"There is little evidence that muscular activity increases the need for protein, except for the small amount required for the development of muscles during physical conditioning...In view of the margin of safety in the RDA, no increment is added for work or training"

As long as you are consuming enough calories, you are consuming enough protein. Even a diet of nothing but white rice gives you 9% protein, which is still more than enough.

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: July 08, 2010 02:04PM

Swayze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Even a diet of
> nothing but white rice gives you 9% protein, which
> is still more than enough.

Are you counting in grams? According to my cron-o-meter it's only 1% from calories with uncooked white rice (cooked 2%) and I don't think that's ok. For building a babys body they get 6 E% from mothersmilk. Going below that, I dont know... For a while, sure, but not for a year or more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2010 02:08PM by Healthybun.

Date: July 08, 2010 02:16PM

White rice is a good example though not widely eaten raw. Raw white rice has about 7% caloric protein* [nutritiondata.self.com] and a 71% amino acid score, not great but enough to satisfy the WHO recommendation of about 6% caloric protein.

*The 7% figure is of protein that is assimilable. These figures ultimately come from the USDA database which does its best to consider how much of a nutrient the body can extract from a food.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2010 02:24PM by loeve.

Date: July 08, 2010 03:01PM

there are many studies that would disagree with that especially for weight training athletes.

plus 1985 was along time ago.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables