Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw when underweight?
Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: June 20, 2010 02:47PM

would you recommend going on a raw vegan diet when actually under weight because of an eating disorder?
i mean it's still most healthy, but i don't want to loose any weight. contrariwise i want to gain about 5 kilos of weight. part of it could be from building- up muscles.

but i must assume that my metabolism is out of balance and i need to store up on calcium to prevent osteoporosis.
i have concentration problems also and i wonder where i can get enough starches from apart from bananas? overall would you recommend .. how many % in a underweight state with resulting mental issues also?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw when underweight?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 20, 2010 03:02PM

You can use a free online program like fitday.com to track your nutritional intake, that way you will clearly see if you are missing any major nutrients or calories and can adjust accordingly. A great book to use for self healing and nutrition is Prescription for Nutritional Healing which is my go-to book for any and all health questions. If you are concerned about particular nutrients, that book will tell you which foods contain them so you know what to eat to balance yourself out.

If you wish to consume lots of calcium, green juices or smoothies are the way to go.
For healthy fats, raw nuts and seeds, avocado, olives, coconuts, raw oils etc will do it.
Don't worry too much about protein, especially if you are eating nuts and seeds. There is lots of calcium in them as well.
Moderate exercise is a great idea, even gentle exercise like walking is great for you but some stretch and strength training is wonderful.
As for your metabolism, eating regularly will help. Do not skip meals, don't over or under eat, chew your food very well, don't drink too much liquid with meals, and look up the principles of food combining.

As for the eating disorder itself, I don't feel qualified to advice you as I'm not a health care professional. All I can give you are basic suggestions for a healthy diet. If you are in the care of a professional, follow their advice about how to heal whatever is at the root of your issues and have faith in yourself and love for the beautiful, perfect human being that you are. <3

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 20, 2010 03:38PM

well, coco pretty much said it all, im just commenting to show supportgrinning smiley <3 *hugs* good luck^_^

Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: June 20, 2010 03:53PM

hello coco,
many thanks for your answer. what you advise does seem helpful for my first try!
It's stunning to me what quantities you have to eat when you're eating raw! I guess I have to eat a larger amount of nuts and avocadoes. and yes, eating regularly!

and concerning the psychological side- i've been to a clinin which helped to some extent. apart from that i do psychotherapie regularly which is doing me good!smiling smiley

peace!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 21, 2010 04:11AM

As you progress you may find yourself feeling satisfied with smaller portions because you are absorbing nutrients more efficiently and need less than when you started out eating raw. Do take care though that you don't slip back into old habits, make sure you are getting everything that you need to be healthy and maintain a good weight. Exercise will keep you fit and strong and from getting too weak and thin.
You'll find many wonderful sources of information on this site whenever you have questions, Best of luck to you .

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: June 29, 2010 11:51AM

i believe once you give your body the nutrients it needs it will weight what it needs to as long as you are not starving yourself and eating until satisfied. This might take some time for you to learn, since you are recovering from an eating disorder. just don't beat yourself up if eat something none raw. the important thing to remember is to just LOVE yourself, once you love yourself you'll respect your body so much more and truly care about what you are putting in to itsmiling smiley just breath and take it one day or one meal at a time. You are doing a great thing for your body and it will thank you with tons of energy, and a clear mindsmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables