Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Make your Home a Healthy Home
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: August 25, 2006 03:08PM

Practical suggestions to minimise chemical and pollutant exposure around the house.

From [www.environmentaldefence.ca].

Cheers,
J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Make your Home a Healthy Home
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 25, 2006 10:13PM

neat smiling smiley

Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: August 26, 2006 02:24PM

Something I've been doing for 13 years is taking off my tennis shoes and putting them on a shoe rack in my garage when I come home.

Here's part of an article I found explaining it:

Roberts believes the high toxicity of dust in homes is partly due to the types of particles we drag in on our shoes. Small particles, those measuring just 2O thousandths of a millimetre across, are more likely to stick to our shoes, and since small particles have a relatively large surface area, they are more toxic than larger particles.

"It's the best explanation I have," he says. "We know that people who don't take their shoes off, or don't use a door mat, have much higher levels of toxins in their homes." Lead contamination is a case in point. Studies have found that dust in people's homes can contain levels of lead 10 times as high as the soil in their back yards. Although there is no good evidence that the toxins in dust are a serious threat to our health, some scientists are convinced dust is at least one route by which we are exposed.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Date: August 26, 2006 03:10PM

Hey Suzie smiling smiley Yeah, that's always a good idea. I've read the Japanese have that tradition. Also, once you're in the house, apprently they use different specific slippers for the bathroom, which they regard as unclean, than for the rest of the house.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: August 27, 2006 12:53AM

Damn, that's weird... I've just been licking my shoes clean after I wear them...

Date: August 27, 2006 03:13AM

Yuk Thomas, adopt the tradition that Jose mentioned!

You should see the trouble I go through when I have to use public restrooms. I can't think of anything nastier than those. The worst part being that alot of women (yes women), don't even wash their hands afterwards.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: August 27, 2006 03:43AM

Suzie Wrote:

> Something I've been doing for 13 years is taking
> off my tennis shoes and putting them on a shoe
> rack in my garage when I come home.

Do you remember the date you began?

Date: August 27, 2006 03:54AM

OMG funny, Learning!

Uh, let me think. It was on a Saturday morning exactly 13 years ago today, which would be August 26. I probably could tell you an exact date, but it would take a few weeks or longer.

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: August 27, 2006 12:51PM

Great site!

My hubby grew up in Okinawa and we always take our shoes off. We have inside shoes and outside shoes.

Mona

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.

Date: August 27, 2006 02:16PM

Yeah, I even have my little nieces and nephew "trained" to take off their shoes when they come over. It's so funny cuz it's the only place they have to do it!

Posted by: greenman ()
Date: August 27, 2006 04:39PM

Why do all these materials exist if they are harmful? Shouldn't the public be outraged? Shouldn't there be massive boycotts of these products so these industries get the message?

These big industries produce all these harmful materials then we face the burden of health costs, and finding expensive alternatives. They should be sued.

Date: August 28, 2006 10:56PM

Jose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Suzie smiling smiley Yeah, that's always a good idea. I've
> read the Japanese have that tradition. Also, once
> you're in the house, apprently they use different
> specific slippers for the bathroom, which they
> regard as unclean, than for the rest of the house.
>
>
> Cheers,
> J

I just found an interesting website called "Japanese Manners & Etiquette." This one made me laugh... "Be aware that in Japan it is normal to make slurping sounds when you're eating noodles." And also this one, "Do not put soy sauce on your rice--it isn't meant for that." OK, one more... "Don't take wads of napkins, sugar packs, or "steal" souvinirs when you leave a restaurant."

[www.geocities.com]

Date: August 29, 2006 02:24AM

Haha, thanks Suz! smiling smiley

Check this one out!

In Japan the whole family uses the same bath water -- as a guest you will probably be given the priviledge of using the bath water first. Do NOT drain the water out after you have finished your bath!

Mmmm..... not convinced about that one! smiling smiley

Cheers,
J

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 30, 2006 07:45PM

Jose,
What an excellent site. But I noticed that Dr. Bronner's magic soap isn't listed anywhere. Neither is the Jason shampoo I use. yawning smiley(

Date: August 30, 2006 08:58PM

Hey Jose,

I think I would "accidentally" drain the water out. Whoops!

Date: August 31, 2006 12:00AM

Hey lilsprout, yeah, it's got loads of good info doesn't it. Maybe they don't have them because it is a Canadian website, perhaps they don't sell those products in Canada? I don't really know though, it's hard to have an exhaustive list I guess. Or perhaps those products contain some suspect ingredients?

Hey Suzie, hehehe yeah, me too! Especially if I was the youngest of a large family!

Cheers,
J

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables